A friend of mine is building a Legacy and has a question....

Old April 22nd 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default A friend of mine is building a Legacy and has a question....

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:41:10 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:32:22 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

wrote)
I have never previously found any use for this knowledge ^h^h^h^h^h^h
opinion.
Hope it is right and helps out.

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm
Had to make sure I had the terms right.

Disclaimer (Don't try this at home)

You could always set about 2 or 3 degrees toe out with a bit of
negative caster. That way the results will be predictable to an almost
certainty and he'll never have a case of bordome on any landing.

As to the toe in, I thought that really was about 2 degrees.

BTW the nose gear on the Deb and Bonanzas has a negative caster. Your
feet are always moving if you plan on even trying to simulate a
straight taxi. That wheel wants to go any where but straight ahead.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Montblack

Roger, I think you mean negative camber. Hilarious nonetheless!

My Bo book calls it caster and it's like trying to push the wheels on
a shopping cart backwards. If you took the linkage off I think it'd
turn right around backwards.

The nose gear strut it tilted forward and a bit to the pilot's side as
well.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Peter

Old April 23rd 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:41:10 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I mistakenly thought you were talking about having the main wheels tilted in
at the top--which would have the effect of changing the "effective" toe-in
or toe-out as the aircraft rotates for take-off or "derotates" after
landing.

Peter

Old April 23rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Push airplane over wet newspaper and you will see what you have. Should be
neutral but sound like you have a lot of tow-in or out. I am assuming that
it is a nose wheel plane. Could be the caster on the nose wheel if it is.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
Hey, ask anyone on the rec homebuilt group if they've ever built any
Lancairs and then ask them if they used a 1 degree toe-in on the main
landing gear for the 320, the Lancair 4 or the Legacy. I test drove mine
today and almost lost control of it in yaw on the runway because it's dead
nuts on center with the mains. No where in the manual does it say you
need toe-in, but I have a sneaking hunch that I need a half degree on each
main to keep it from being divergent. I'm going to just do it if I can't
get a response from someone who might know. The ****ing factory doesn't
even know....dumb ****s. They are about to go bankrupt and I can see why!

I forget what toe-in and how much I used on my RV-6....

John

Old April 23rd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Cy Galley wrote:

Push airplane over wet newspaper and you will see what you have. Should be
neutral but sound like you have a lot of tow-in or out. I am assuming that
it is a nose wheel plane. Could be the caster on the nose wheel if it is.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
A Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot

Cy, I have to admit, I had never heard of that one before.

But it sounds like just the right trick.

Richard.

Old April 23rd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message ...

Cy Galley wrote:

Push airplane over wet newspaper and you will see what you have. Should be
neutral but sound like you have a lot of tow-in or out. I am assuming that
it is a nose wheel plane. Could be the caster on the nose wheel if it is.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
A Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot

Cy, I have to admit, I had never heard of that one before.

But it sounds like just the right trick.

Richard.

I like this,,,

The key is to pull or push the plane over the newspaper - I can see it now: Carefully lay out the newspaper, fire up the
engine, taxi forward, then shut down...Hmmmm, newspaper is gone...