(OT) MS Simmers

Old April 28th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Old Bloke[_4_]

Default (OT) MS Simmers

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"The Old Bloke" wrote in message

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
limitations will really
prevent you from flying.

*****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be
able to physically get into an aircraft.

While I was training for my private, there was a guy in a wheelchair also
training. More than once I helped him in or out of the aircraft. There was
also the recent thread of the blind pilot. I would have assumed that
neither of these could fly. Don't assume anything.

I have applied. I have very limited movement of my arms. And they feel numb
to me, so I get no feedback.

Old April 28th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Dan544" dan544p@hotmail wrote in
:

I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not
question you.. Just here for the learning experience.

Dan

Whoa!! Hold on a minute!!

If I say something that doesn't seem to be right, or doesn't make sense, I
WANT you (or someone) to question me. If I am full of s%^&* or realize I
made a mistake, I will certainly appreciate the fact that you helped me
realize it. In fact, I am a strong believer in "out of the mouth of
babes" - a fresh viewpoint of something that I take for granted often helps
me solve problems or realize my own mistakes. Any pilot can tell you that
there is a lot of "lore" that you hear from other pilots and instructors
based on how something might have worked on some specific plane in some
specific circumstance that has somehow manifested itself into gospel for
all planes in all situations, but is really not accurate. I certainly
appreciate it when someone can give me factual information and filter out
all of the bulls^&*.

No one is infallible. Not even the more vocal folks on this group. And if
someone says something inaccurate and is proven wrong, even by Manic, they
made a mistake and should not try to pretend otherwise. It can be a tough
thing for anyone with a big ego to accept the possibility that he was
proven wrong, especially by someone he doesn't like. And it's easy to be
tough behind an anonymous wall of usenet, but it's not a good demonstration
of character.

Manic's problem is not that he questions the opinion of every pilot who
answers his question. Manic's problem is that he specifically disrespects
pilots. He has made it obvious that he is not asking questions because he
wants to learn. He asks questions because he wants to bait pilots who try
to help him into proving them wrong so that he can boost his own ego. And
if he, who is also fallible, makes a mistake, he simply shrugs it off and
says that he meant something else or changes the assumption.

But if your intent is to gain knowledge about aviation or aviation lore, or
even some some other non-aviation things that interest pilots, or you just
want to hear some good pilot stories, you've come to the right place, even
if you are not a pilot.

Enjoy!
Old April 28th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Dan544" dan544p@hotmail wrote in message
I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
negative look at simmers.

I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
not a substitute for RT.

I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
bear with the ignorance.

I think you will find it has little (if not nothing) to do with simmers.
Many pilots, including myself, work with one form of sim or the other. The
problem is clearly with MX as a person, or his inability to interact with
others. Regardless of what few contributions he occasionally makes, MX is a
very troubled person. If you search the internet groups, you will find that
MX is not here to learn anything as he likes to suggest, but is nothing more
than a troll that likes to create confusion. And a lot of people here
respect this forum as an asset, and therefore despise his nonsense and
confusion.

Old April 28th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Dan544 wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dan544 writes:

Is an idiot anything like a cripple?

Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..

You said "idiots like mxmaniac." I was wondering if you ridicule
people in
other equally cruel and thoughtless ways as well. You know, people
who have,
say, physical limitations, or age.

What is it that you do not understand the word Sorry?

----------------------------------------o__\
twannnnnggg............
(sound of taut line after setting the hook

typical mx trolling style...........

Old April 28th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
601XL Builder

Dan, we have no problem with simmers. We have a problem with one
particular simmer. I have no doubt we would have the same problem with
him if he was a 30000 hour ATP. The only difference would be that we
would all spend significant time worrying that we would either end up on
an aircraft or in airspace he was flying.

Old April 28th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

I have no doubt we would have the same problem with him if he was a 30000
hour ATP. The only difference would be that we would all spend significant
time worrying that we would either end up on an aircraft or in airspace he
was flying.

If that were the case, I'll bet there would be a waiting line to call up to
the FAA medical division, to report about an unstable pilot, that has
problems mixing reality with real life. g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

buttman writes:

Doctors don't go off on their patients calling them morons when the
patient disagrees with the prognosis, why should pilots? It's just not
professional.

Doctors, as a group, are somewhat smarter than pilots, and they acquire vastly
more knowledge about their profession than most pilots ever acquire about
their own. This makes them less insecure.

However, I have met insecure doctors who behave like many of the pilots here,
expecting others to grovel, and becoming emotional and abusive when the
groveling fails to materialize.

Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
career. It's one of those things I've been trying to not think about,
because it always gets me down.

The pilots who misbehave here are a minority. The same character faults that
compel them to behave as they do also make it impossible for them to remain
silent. As a result, they create noise that is all out of proportion with
their number.

Many pilots do not suffer from the insecurities or immaturities I've seen
displayed here, and I certainly do not write off all pilots just because the
most puerile among them seem to post here.

Which is me.

And lots of other pilots, too, no doubt. If you fly because you like to fly,
why would you can about what anyone else thinks? And why would you need
sycophants to be happy?

Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen. It's not
worth having an aneurysm over. Some of your questions are very good,
and if others would take them seriously could be even more interesting.

That seems like a reasonable policy.

Now I'll watch the children respond.

Old April 28th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

Manic's problem is not that he questions the opinion of every pilot who
answers his question. Manic's problem is that he specifically disrespects
pilots.

I neither respect nor disrespect pilots; why would a person's hobby or
occupation have any bearing on whether or not I respect him? It's the person,
not the job.

However, some people are so insecure that they interpret any absence of
fawning respect to be a manifestation of _disrespect_. That's their problem,
not mine.

Old April 28th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

The Old Bloke writes:

I have applied. I have very limited movement of my arms. And they feel numb
to me, so I get no feedback.

Have you considered flying an aircraft tailored to compensate for your
disabilities? As I recall, the FAA will give you a medical in certain
circumstances for flight in a specific aircraft if you can demonstrate that
you can handle it in that aircraft. You wouldn't be able to fly any other
plane, but just being able to fly one would be a great step forward.

Old April 28th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:45:18 -0400, "Dan544" dan544p@hotmail wrote:

I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
look at simmers.

I can only speak for myself and am fairly sure quite a few others feel
the same.

First I have nothing against simmers in general, nor do I think most
pilots. I have one state-of-the-art machine I use for simming and am
now building another one specifically for that purpose. OTOH all the
computers here serve multiple purposes. I've flown about 1,400 hours
in the last 14 to 15 years with most being in high
performance/complex/retract. I'm also instrument rated, but not
current. The only person I did it to impress was me. :-)) Well, I
have to admit I'd have to add my wife in there as well as she likes to
be able to fly places.

"I think" the "rub" comes from those who equate simming to real life
flying and refuse to accept there are some major and very important
differences.. Simming under some circumstances (Even MS FS) can add or
supplement portions of real life flying, but falls far short of the
real thing. That it "looks" very realistic is not the same as giving
the user a realistic experience except in some limited circumstances.

On these news groups some of the pilots have become sensitized by a
small number from the sim community which is unfortunate and probably
why you see such a negative view from a few.

I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

Many of us on here are likely to find ourselves in that situation as
well, eventually. Some much sooner than others and it can happen
without warning.

I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

Likewise I enjoy it.

I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
not a substitute for RT.

I've found it is a good way to keep up on procedures.

I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please bear
with the ignorance.

You have a good attitude Dan. I hope it survives the news groups:-))
I for one welcome you to the group.

Dan