Planes that are afraid of crashing?

Old May 25th 05, 02:40 AM
Casey Wilson

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

Sounds redundant to me. You've already got the pilot who's afraid of
crashing, plus any passengers. No need to unnecessarily torment an
innocent machine by scaring it too...

KB

Yeah, but I'm gonna create "Prozac for Pipers" and a whole family of
companion designer drugs. Cessna Chill-Outs, Questar Qualudes... The
opportunites are boundless.

Old May 25th 05, 02:56 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

Sounds redundant to me. You've already got the pilot who's afraid of
crashing, plus any passengers. No need to unnecessarily torment an
innocent machine by scaring it too...

KB

Yeah, but I'm gonna create "Prozac for Pipers" and a whole family of
companion designer drugs. Cessna Chill-Outs, Questar Qualudes... The
opportunites are boundless.

You're gonna need an STC to make any money off that idea. You'll never get
the volume if you have to file 337's for each prescription.

Old May 25th 05, 03:53 AM
Franklin Newton

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..
An interesting excerpt from
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/05/23/b...oad/index.html :

" Pearson (some brainiac computer expert guy) predicted that it would be
possible to build a fully conscious computer with superhuman levels of
intelligence as early as 2020.
IBM's BlueGene computer can already perform 70.72 trillion calculations a
second and Pearson said the next computing goal was to replicate
consciousness.

"We're already looking at how you might structure a computer that could
become conscious. Consciousness is just another sense, effectively, and
that's what we're trying to design in computer."

Pearson said that computer consciousness would make feasible a whole new
sphere of emotional machines, such as airplanes that are afraid of
crashing."

I'm not sure if this is scary as hell or not.

--
Jim Fisher

It would certainly make for some interesting ag flying.

Old May 25th 05, 09:14 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..
People have been saying AI is 10 or 20 years away since the late 70's (at
least).

And those predictions were correct. We do have "AI" and it's been here
for at least 10 years or so in one form or another.

It should have been obvious from the context, but by "AI" I mean TRUE
artificial intelligence. That is, consciousness. A goldfish has more
complex capability to reason, learn, adapt, etc than the best computer does,
and I still wouldn't call *it* all that intelligent.

There's not a single computer out there that really qualifies as
"intelligent". Computers still just basically do exactly what we tell them
to do. And we are no closer to having them go beyond that than we were
three decades ago.

It's true that there's a field of computer science called "artificial
intelligence". But even the more innovative aspects of that field,
including neural nets and expert systems, aren't actually examples of
intelligent computers.

Pete

Old May 25th 05, 11:20 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Jose wrote:
Machine consciousness is not "dumb" nor "scary."

Machine consciousness =is= scary, because it means that we won't know
what the machines will do, or why.

No more scary than other human beings, which we don't know what will do
or why.

Imagine the benefits - by the time we can make a truly conscious machine
with human intelligence, we will probably have the technology to do a
brain-dump. You could brain dump into a machine, discard your feeble
meat body, and go off into space and explore the planets - requiring no
pesky, complex, difficult life support to keep meat alive.
Old May 25th 05, 02:35 PM
Jose

[machine conscousness is ]No more scary than other human beings, which we don't know what will do
or why.

Human beings are not mere tools. When I deal with a human or a dog or
even a frog, I do not expect it to merely do what it was designed to do.
When I put a light on a certain spot on stage, I expect that it will
stay there, even if it disagrees with me as to whether or not I am doing
a good job of lighting. If the lights start to design themselves, I
will lose control over whatever it is I am trying to accomplish for the
audience. Likewise I don't want my hammer to start reviewing the
architectural plans of the house I'm building and then refuse to hammer
the seventh and eighth beams into place.

I expect certain behavior from tools, and act accordingly. I expect
different behavior from people, and treat them accordingly.

Imagine the benefits - by the time we can make a truly conscious machine
with human intelligence, we will probably have the technology to do a
brain-dump. You could brain dump into a machine, discard your feeble
meat body, and go off into space and explore the planets - requiring no
pesky, complex, difficult life support to keep meat alive.

I don't think I'd ever want to do that.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old May 25th 05, 05:25 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Jose wrote:
[machine conscousness is ]No more scary than other human beings, which we don't know what will do
or why.

Human beings are not mere tools. When I deal with a human or a dog or
even a frog, I do not expect it to merely do what it was designed to do.

You're evidently not used to computers, they seem to do what they damn
well please :-)

Imagine the benefits - by the time we can make a truly conscious machine
with human intelligence, we will probably have the technology to do a
brain-dump. You could brain dump into a machine, discard your feeble
meat body, and go off into space and explore the planets - requiring no
pesky, complex, difficult life support to keep meat alive.

I don't think I'd ever want to do that.

I'd be first to sign up.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 25th 05, 07:26 PM
George Patterson

Casey Wilson wrote:

Yeah, but I'm gonna create "Prozac for Pipers" and a whole family of
companion designer drugs. Cessna Chill-Outs, Questar Qualudes... The
opportunites are boundless.

And then the FAA will start requiring medical certificates for aircraft just so
they can ground them when they start taking your drugs.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 26th 05, 02:51 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/24/05 1:52 PM, in article ,
"Jim Fisher" spewed:

An interesting excerpt from
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/05/23/b...oad/index.html :

" Pearson (some brainiac computer expert guy) predicted that it would be
possible to build a fully conscious computer with superhuman levels of
intelligence as early as 2020.
IBM's BlueGene computer can already perform 70.72 trillion calculations a
second and Pearson said the next computing goal was to replicate
consciousness.

"We're already looking at how you might structure a computer that could
become conscious. Consciousness is just another sense, effectively, and
that's what we're trying to design in computer."

Pearson said that computer consciousness would make feasible a whole new
sphere of emotional machines, such as airplanes that are afraid of
crashing."

I'm not sure if this is scary as hell or not.

What would a machine do if it panicked?

Regardless, most of us are quite afraid of crashing, but that bit of fear
certainly doesn't keep it from happening every now and then anyway.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old May 26th 05, 08:53 PM

Jim Fisher wrote:
"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder what the afraid-of-crashing plane would do if a crankshaft
broke.

It would say, "Oh ****!" for you.

Just so long as it doesn't say "Watch this!"

-cwk.