Cutting shirttails???

Old August 26th 03, 05:24 AM
Larry Dighera

Default Cutting shirttails???

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:29:39 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Basically, cutting off the shirt tail marked you as the
new guy and any stories or ceremonies that went along with it were simply
there to add weight to the moment.

A glider student's first solo usually ends in a dousing with a bucket
of water. As gliders often relies on hot rising air to sustain them,
a refreshing drench is soon dry, and all in good fun and camaraderie.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old August 26th 03, 06:55 PM
Peter Duniho

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
Now with more and more female pilots, this cold water dousing
seems like an even better idea, I think...but cutting off the
shirt is fine too ;-----)

Right, since that's definitely the way to encourage greater equality and to
have more women involved in aviation.

Interesting theory...

Old August 26th 03, 10:13 PM
JJ Sinclair

The shirt tail cutting may have a military background. In the 30's, newly
commissioned cadets didn't always have the available cash to purchase epaulets
(shoulder boards) some would cut their shirt tails off and use the material to
fashion a set of home made epaulets. Cadets would get their commission and
their wings at the same time and cutting the tails off ones shirt may have
become synonymous with new beginnings, like soloing. This practice led to new
officers being called, "shave-tails" and other things.
JJ Sinclair
Old August 28th 03, 02:34 PM
root

Have a look at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cab78/photos/gal3-5.jpg

Old August 29th 03, 03:56 AM
soarski

"root" wrote in message
Peter Duniho wrote:

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
Now with more and more female pilots, this cold water dousing
seems like an even better idea, I think...but cutting off the
shirt is fine too ;-----)

Right, since that's definitely the way to encourage greater equality and

have more women involved in aviation.

Interesting theory...

Have a look at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cab78/photos/gal3-5.jpg

Nice Pic! Nice hangar!

Now, I have an interesting angle and question:

I am emailing with a new German Soaring Student. She is 16 years old
and is coming up for her first solo soon.

Almost anywhere in Germany the custom is that you have to bend over
and you get spanked by all. Buddy students and Flight Instructor.

The little Lady does not like the idea, she looks at that custom a
little different than most. The club does not seem to want to change
the custom and the Student is not very happy.

How do the Ladies and Gentlemen out there see this? Possibly she
should bite the bullet and forget about the feelings about touching
below the wasteline?
This once?

I think so!
Old August 29th 03, 05:02 AM
John Morgan

Does this club have "one day" memberships? When is her solo?
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

"soarski" wrote in message
om...

"root" wrote in message
Peter Duniho wrote:

[...]

---

Old August 30th 03, 07:49 AM
Mike Lindsay

In article cb676098.03082818

Nice Pic! Nice hangar!

Now, I have an interesting angle and question:

I am emailing with a new German Soaring Student. She is 16 years old
and is coming up for her first solo soon.

Almost anywhere in Germany the custom is that you have to bend over
and you get spanked by all. Buddy students and Flight Instructor.

The little Lady does not like the idea, she looks at that custom a
little different than most. The club does not seem to want to change
the custom and the Student is not very happy.

How do the Ladies and Gentlemen out there see this? Possibly she
should bite the bullet and forget about the feelings about touching
below the wasteline?
This once?

I think so!

If she isn't happy with the idea she should say so. Loudly and often and
to everyone concerned.

But it would be an unusual 16 year old to have enough confidence to do
this.

If the other club members can't accept this I'd advise her to do her
first solo in a country where they don't have this custom.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old September 2nd 03, 06:00 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 07:49:10 +0100, Mike Lindsay
wrote:

[...]

I was turned up on the Wasserkuppe on the day a new pilot soloed and
got spanked (one pat) by all present. It was explained to me that this
was to remind the newly fledged that a glider pilot needs a sensitive
backside to interpret what his glider is telling him.

HTH

PS: I'm just back from another first - my first competition. Another
club mate and I flew the club's Pegase 90 in the Gransden Regionals
and shared flying and retrieval duties, had a great time and learnt a
huge amount about xc. I'm hooked!

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK