Short trip to Oshkosh

Old November 11th 03, 02:25 PM
Trent Moorehead

Default Short trip to Oshkosh

Greetings,

Well, I went to Oshkosh last week and loved it. I spent about three hours in
the museum, not nearly enough, but it was enough to get a feel of the place.
The place was dead though. There was about 4 other people in the place
besides my friend and I. In a way this was neat because I could just imagine
how different the place is in July.

They are dismantling the Charles Linhdberg exhibit. One thing that I found
funny is that it was so quiet in that building, that the guy taking down the
studwall surrounding the exhibit had to set these aluminum studs down so
gingerly so not to make loud crashing sounds. I bet on a busy and noiser day
he could work a lot faster. I could hear everything that guy did no matter
where I was except in the warbird hangar.

Let's see, I flew the fighter simulator, but I couldn't find the Wright
Flyer simulator. I looked for a Docent to point me in the right direction,
but none were around. Oh well, maybe next time. I was really impressed with
the reproduction of Earnest K. Gann's writing studio. He led a really
interesting life. I will make a point to read more of his books. Oh, what
else.....The hangars at Pioneer Airport were absolutely beautiful. You just
don't see an airport like that everyday, it's a really special place.

Lastly, but not leastly, I looked from Friar Tuck's towards the control
tower and imagined planes as far as my eye could see. It was a very cold
evening, and the air was as clear as it could ever be. With the sun setting
in an orange and azure sky, I got back into my the car and vowed to make it
there for AirVenture some day soon.

On another note (completely off-topic, sorry), I visited the Pabst brewing
company in Milwaukee. It's all shut down now, but it is really a fascinating
building complex. The big brew houses are like ten stories tall and all
brick. The smaller and older office building (ca.1880) has an obvious german
influence with a cedar roof, stained glass symbology in the windows
depicting the beer-makers art, and large wooden doors. Some guy on the
street knew all about it and spent nearly an hour with me pointing out all
kinds of details and history. There's something about abandoned things that
is endearing to me. I wish I could get inside that place.

I'm definitely going back to OSH soon. I'm glad that I got to see some of it
at least....it's a very special place.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old November 11th 03, 02:35 PM
Jay Honeck

Lastly, but not leastly, I looked from Friar Tuck's towards the control
tower and imagined planes as far as my eye could see. It was a very cold
evening, and the air was as clear as it could ever be. With the sun

setting
in an orange and azure sky, I got back into my the car and vowed to make

it
there for AirVenture some day soon.

Good job. T-minus 8 months, 2 weeks and 1 day. See ya there!

On another note (completely off-topic, sorry), I visited the Pabst brewing
company in Milwaukee. It's all shut down now, but it is really a

fascinating
building complex. The big brew houses are like ten stories tall and all
brick. The smaller and older office building (ca.1880) has an obvious

german
influence with a cedar roof, stained glass symbology in the windows
depicting the beer-makers art, and large wooden doors. Some guy on the
street knew all about it and spent nearly an hour with me pointing out all
kinds of details and history. There's something about abandoned things

that
is endearing to me. I wish I could get inside that place.

Isn't that place cool? I toured it, back when it was a working brewery. It
was a sad day when I read that Pabst had shut down -- even though I disliked
their product. If only they had stuck with their original German recipe,
they'd still be brewing today... :-(

Thanks for the PIREP.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 03, 06:41 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:Bs6sb.170510$HS4.1379995@attbi_s01...

Isn't that place cool? I toured it, back when it was a working brewery. It
was a sad day when I read that Pabst had shut down -- even though I disliked
their product. If only they had stuck with their original German recipe,
they'd still be brewing today... :-(

Actually, knowing American tastes, they would have gone out of business
quicker if they'd stuck with the original recipe.

Old November 11th 03, 08:04 PM
Big John

Jay

Is there a company that brews an 'original' German beer (like they
made in the 20's)? I can remember that taste back then growing up
(sipping from Dad's glass) and would love to get some with the strong
hop flavor they had.

Everything now is 'light' for the ladies and those who don't go out
and work with their hands year round.

Can remember landing and a jeep would meet the plane and hand out a
ice cold beer from a wash tub of cracked ice. Mech would hand to you
before you could get out of cockpit. Of course, sometimes it took a
beer before you 'could' get out of cockpit G

More beer stories. My boss was in a jungle E & E exercise and I flew
out in a U-10 with a ice cold six pack which I air dropped to them.
Referees said 'no fair and made them do that day of exercise over (

My boss had mixed emotions. The beer went down good after a week
living off the jungle but he had to spend another 24 hours out there
instead of home in bed with his wife (

Big John

Old November 11th 03, 08:06 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

If only they had stuck with their original German recipe,
they'd still be brewing today... :-(

Actually, I read an article several months ago (don't remember where) that PBR
is alive and doing ok in a small way. They are one step or two above a micro-
brew these days.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 11th 03, 10:32 PM
Jay Honeck

Actually, I read an article several months ago (don't remember where) that
PBR
is alive and doing ok in a small way. They are one step or two above a

micro-
brew these days.

Well, it's still available -- but it's hardly a microbrew. I think it was
bought up by one of the "McBrewers" -- Miller or Bud.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 03, 10:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Is there a company that brews an 'original' German beer (like they
made in the 20's)?

Well, Big John, your quest for good beer ends he
http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/

Randy Sprecher -- a former Pabst brewmaster -- started his microbrewery in
Milwaukee, back in 1985, before microbrewing was popular. I've been
drinking it for probably 15 years, and it is the most amazing beer. Read
their history here at http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sprhist.html .

As with all REAL beers, it contains just four ingredients: Water, hops,
barley and yeast. (No rice, please!)

Actually, an excerpt from the German Beer Purity Law of 1516 dictates the
following:

"Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, markets and
in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be
Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon
this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating
such barrels of beer, without fail."

Thus, Sprecher brews his beer that way. This not only makes it taste
better, but a side-benefit is that you can drink a fair bunch of it without
getting that horrible "Miller headache" that comes from consuming "beer"
that contains 27 chemicals, all designed to make the beer last forever.

Until a few years ago, Sprecher didn't even pasteurize the stuff, which
meant it had a shelf-life similar to milk. This was the absolute best beer,
but it didn't keep well, and it couldn't be transported -- so he now
pasteurizes it. I think it's lost a little bit of it's flavor -- but now I
can get it here in Iowa! :-)

(I used to have to fly to Milwaukee to fetch some once in a while. Along
with some good cheese, some fresh lake perch, and a couple of real Danish
kringles.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 03, 11:11 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:Nrdsb.174069$Tr4.465123@attbi_s03...
Actually, I read an article several months ago (don't remember where) that

PBR
is alive and doing ok in a small way. They are one step or two above a

micro-
brew these days.

Well, it's still available -- but it's hardly a microbrew. I think it was
bought up by one of the "McBrewers" -- Miller or Bud.

Sort of. Heilman went around buying up the world (got the local Carling/National
brewery near me). The Stroh grabbed Heilman in it's attempt to homogenize
the American beer market. Eventually this fell apart and Pabst actually bought
the many of the brands. They got out of the "beer making" business. Miller brews the
Pabst brands under contract. Pabst is just a marketing company now.

Of course, many of the so-called microbrews are brewed by larger operations under
contract to the small brewery. Perhaps the most egregious of this is the Boston
Beer Company which brews Sam Adams. With small exception, all Sam Adams
is brewed by F.X. Matt (Saranac), who also brews beers for Brookly Brewery,
Dock Street Brewery, Mass. Bay Brewing, New Amsterdam Brewing, and Olde
Heurich. Of course this doesn't prevent Jim Koch for going around trying to
sue anyone who dares use Boston and Beer in the same sentence.

-Ron

Was testing the circle drawing code in our product and was sitting in front
of the screen going "take a ring, and then another ring, and then another
ring, and you then got three rings Balantine." My office mates (darned kids) had
no clue what I was talking about.

Old November 12th 03, 02:00 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

(...Along
with some good cheese, some fresh lake perch, and a couple of real Danish
kringles.)

Jay, c'mon...you're killing me man....
Old November 12th 03, 03:35 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Big John wrote:

Is there a company that brews an 'original' German beer (like they
made in the 20's)? I can remember that taste back then growing up
(sipping from Dad's glass) and would love to get some with the strong
hop flavor they had.

There's a brewery in Pennsylvania that has a Bavarian brewmaster and makes a
beer that's very close in taste to the stuff they serve in Munich. I drank it
for a while after my brother and I returned from Germany. Haven't had it in
years and don't remember the name.

As I recall, it's available only in some areas of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Also costs about 150% of what a typical national brand costs.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.

What is a "short field" for a PA28-181 Roy Page Owning 79 November 24th 04 12:11 PM
Got published Jack Allison Piloting 4 November 4th 03 08:14 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM