Is the DC ADIZ on the charts?

Old November 15th 03, 02:40 AM
Snowbird

"John T" wrote in message ews.com...

quote
I would like to make the constructive suggestion that in order to
reduce the frustrating number of ADIZ incursions, the following
changes could be made:
/quote

I would have used this language:
"I would like to make the constructive suggestion that the ADIZ be
abolished. Barring this sensible solution, perhaps these alternatives would
help:"

Don't give them the impression that you're willing to accept the ADIZ -
unless, of course, you are willing.

Good points. Too late, alas the letter is sent.

But, John, you and everyone else can atone for my mistake by
writing your own letter, modified as you suggest. That ought
to overwhelm my error.

Cheers,
Sydney

PS Ron Natalie, hope you don't mind that I used your concise
summation as 'talking points'. I was home sick today and figured
I'd better do the deed while I had time.
Old November 15th 03, 04:11 AM
John T

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om

But, John, you and everyone else can atone for my mistake by
writing your own letter, modified as you suggest. That ought
to overwhelm my error.

Already done - a few times. Remember: I, along with Ron and many, many
others, have been dealing with this monstrosity since it was conceived.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 15th 03, 04:35 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

When did AeroPlanner become a source of official information?

It hasn't, nor is it likely to become one. Were you trying to make a point?

Old November 15th 03, 04:53 PM
Big John

Larry

What is they say, "Hell has no equal to a woman scorned" or something
like that G

Big John

----clip----]

Give 'em hell, Syd.

Larry
Old November 15th 03, 10:52 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Big John wrote:

What is they say, "Hell has no equal to a woman scorned" or something
like that G

"Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned."

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 16th 03, 02:55 AM
Snowbird

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
Big John wrote:

What is they say, "Hell has no equal to a woman scorned" or something
like that G

"Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned."

They might say that, but the letter I wrote IMO has nothing
of hell scorn nor fury

????

Y'all need a calibration standard for me?

Cheers,
Sydney
Old November 19th 03, 03:27 AM
Mike Schumann

Let us know if you get a response.

Mike Schumann

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
FAA Contact: William Shumann at (202) 267-3883 or

Thanks, Larry. Hope it's the right chap. This is what I just
sent.

Dear Sir,

I write with regard to an article published by the WebZine "AvWeb"
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#186076
which quoted you as follows:
Since Feb. 10, when the ADIZ was put in place in Washington, it
has been violated more than 600 times. "Frankly, we're a bit
frustrated that pilots are still violating it, and we don't know
why," the FAA's William Shumann told AVweb yesterday. "It's on
the charts, it's on our Web site."

I would like to point out that while the FRZ (flight restricted zone)
is charted, the ADIZ is NOT, in fact, charted on the latest
VFR Sectional Charts in any way. Neither is the NOTAM creating the
ADIZ published in the Airport and Facilities Directory.

While it is useful to have graphical representations of the
ADIZ available on the internet, not all pilots use the Internet
to flight plan. Even pilots who prefer to flight plan online are
often without internet services whilst flightplanning enroute and
certainly whilst in the cockpit.

In fact, to my knowledge there is no official government publication
useable by pilots for in-cockpit navigation which depicts the DC ADIZ.

I would like to make the constructive suggestion that in order to
reduce the frustrating number of ADIZ incursions, the following
changes could be made:

1. Depict the ADIZ on the next printing of sectional and terminal area
charts of the DC area (Washington sectonal and TAC). If possible,
issue
an immediate special printing since these charts are printed on 6
month cycles.

2. Include the NOTAM plain text in the Northeast AF/D. Since these
are printed on 56 day cycles a special issuance might be superfluous.

3. Reference the NOTAM in the remarks section of every airport
inside the ADIZ/FRZ in the Northeast AF/D.

I am told by friends who have attended local DC pilot meetings and
spoken with NACO representatives regarding this issue, that NACO is
reluctant to make these changes and has refused to do so on the
grounds that they are "temporary". However, other temporary changes
such as flight restrictions for the Olympics have been charted in the
past; the FRZ iteself is "temporary" yet is charted.

If people in the FAA are indeed frustrated with the number of
incursions and wish to reduce them, I would like to suggest that the
absence of accurately charted depictions of the ADIZ on government
publications intended for navigational use by pilots is one possible
reason, and one which could readily be remedied were someone with the
appropriate authority to issue to NACO the appropriate direction.

Yours Sincerely,
Sydney Hoeltzli
PP ASEL IA