PDA suction mount?

Old August 14th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie Baer

Default PDA suction mount?

Hi, does anybody recognise the triple suction PDA mount pictured in the =
cockpit at this site: http://www.sequrux.com/~pw5/new_page_2.htm
Brand/make/model/suppliers, any info apreciated. I'm in Australia so =
would need to mail order.
Thanks, Bernie.

Old August 14th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_1_]

"Bernie Baer" wrote in message
Hi, does anybody recognise the triple suction PDA mount pictured in the =
cockpit at this site: http://www.sequrux.com/~pw5/new_page_2.htm
Brand/make/model/suppliers, any info apreciated. I'm in Australia so =
would need to mail order.
Thanks, Bernie.

His email is at the top and bottom of the website ask him were he got it
from.

Old August 14th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bernie Baer wrote:
Hi, does anybody recognise the triple suction PDA mount pictured in the =
cockpit at this site: http://www.sequrux.com/~pw5/new_page_2.htm
Brand/make/model/suppliers, any info apreciated. I'm in Australia so =
would need to mail order.
Thanks, Bernie.

Personally, I have made good experiences with RAM Mounts:
http://www.ram-mount.com/

....and Brodit:
http://www.brodit.com/

/Reno

Old August 14th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

I've had very good luck with a RAM suction cup mount that I purchased from
Cumulus-Soaring.

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/ram.htm

I use the RAM-B-224 suction cup with the RPA-B-201 arm and RAP-B-238 ball.
This is attached to the appropriate cradle for your model iPAQ. In my case
I have a 3850 with a PC-CARD sleeve.

This stayed firmly attached to the canopy recently for more than 6 hours. I
can also attest to it holding firmly during a very rough off field landing.
In fact, I now remove the stylus from the iPAQ as it has a tendancy to come
out during bumpy landings.

John Scott

Old August 14th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Be cautious about using suction cups on canopy acrylic. Cracking and crazing
can be a potential problem.

When in the sun, the area where the suction cup is attached will heat up
more rapidly and get to a higher temperature than the surrounding canopy.
Also, if the suction cup is not completely cured, some of the chemicals in
the cup can attack the acrylic.

I've seen a suction cup removed and a round area of crazing underneath. This
was, however, not on a glider but on a power plane.

all the best,

bumper

Old August 14th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

I've seen no canopy problems on any of the planes I have flown over the last
2 years using the RAM suction cup.

However, I generally only attach the suction cup 5-10 minutes before launch
and remove it shortly after landing. The planes due not sit out in the sun
idle with the suction cup in place. I think this may be why I haven't
encountered the potential problems Bumper identified. The suction cup does
leave a ring on the canopy from being moisten prior to installation. This
cleans off easily with a little water and paper towel.

I use the suction cup mount when flying club planes. For my own plane I am
fitting a permanent mount for the iPAQ.

I also use the suction cup mount to install the iPAQ in my car for
navigation on road trips, with different software, of course.

John

Old August 15th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

Bernie Baer wrote:
Hi, does anybody recognise the triple suction PDA mount pictured in the =
cockpit at this site: http://www.sequrux.com/~pw5/new_page_2.htm
Brand/make/model/suppliers, any info apreciated. I'm in Australia so =
would need to mail order.
Thanks, Bernie.

That site appears to date from about 2001 so if it's a bought one it
could be long gone.

In any case, don't mail order. Buy three suction cups from the bathroom
section of Bunning's and fold your own from 1.6mm (1/16") Al and Velcro.
Easy.

Mine's worked without fail for 5 years now.

I got the idea and a pattern from someone on this group and if I
remembered who it was I'd credit him! Great idea.

GC

Old August 17th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie Baer

Hi Graeme et al,
the site was last updated 2005 but as he has not replied
to my email I had already planned a trip to Bunnings!
The Winpilot site has some other photos of the same
or similar mount so had figured it was somewhat home
made. I've roughed out a plan form to cut from Al,
a prototype in cardboard will soon be in production.
Thanks to all who made constructive comments.
Regards, Bernie.