homebuilt glider question

Old July 9th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stealth Pilot

Default homebuilt glider question

Guys
I defer to the knowledge of regular glider flyers in this matter.
my son is involved in gliding I am involved in powered homebuilding.

is there a wooden glider design or perhaps tube and fabric design that
has reasonable performance, that plans are available for, and can
handle the speeds of being towed aloft behind a pawnee.

the design must be something that a beginner soloing in a puchatec
could handle.

any designs that come to mind or am I wasting time considering this
avenue?

I have in mind the old australian design the "kookaburra" but I dont
know if plans are available.
Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old July 9th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Guys
I defer to the knowledge of regular glider flyers in this matter.
my son is involved in gliding I am involved in powered homebuilding.

is there a wooden glider design or perhaps tube and fabric design that
has reasonable performance, that plans are available for, and can
handle the speeds of being towed aloft behind a pawnee.

the design must be something that a beginner soloing in a puchatec
could handle.

any designs that come to mind or am I wasting time considering this
avenue?

The Maupin/Culver WoodStock (plans built only) would be perhaps
perfect. Problem is the Maupin family no longer offers the plans. Jim
Maupin and Irv Culver are no longer alive. I believe the family was
scared away from providing any of Jim and Irv's plans due to one person
raising a stink about problems he had with a (different) Maupin/Culver
design. However, if you search hard you may be able to find someone
with plans they would sell. By all accounts it is a great little
glider and can easily handle the towplanes.

Regards,

-Doug

Old July 9th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

I'd suggest the Marske Pioneer IID. The construction is inexpensive,
strong, wood/fabric/steel tube construction with modest (~34:1) performance.
The handling is extremely benign being virtually impossible to stall or
spin - excellent for a new pilot. See: http://www.marskeaircraft.com/

Bill Daniels

Old July 9th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would agree with Doug, the Woodstock is an excellent choice. A
partially completed Woodstock project was recently on Ebay with plans
but didn't sell. The link still works and you might still be able to
buy it if you contact the seller. Try this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Woods...QQcmdZViewItem

I've had a blast flying the Woodstock built by Bob Wander. Photos and
some flight reports can be seen at this link:

http://members.aol.com/woodglider/matt.htm

Good luck!

Matt Michael

Old July 9th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
snoop

There is a real nice Woodstock for sale, by a member of the Texas
Soaring Association. I believe it is listed in the Classifieds, in
Soaring magazine. I've flown this glider, and was impressed with its
performance, looks, and comfort. Here is the ad. Lots of pix.

GuysWoodstock, 1st flight 9/2000, 58 hrs TT, glass pilot said if flies like a small glass ship, does fly & handle like a Russia at a fraction of the cost. Custom open trailer, sports canopy, wing & tail dolly, stored in garage. $4,500. Drexel 972-296-5380. TX

Website: Posted: 6/8/2006.

Old July 9th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_1_]

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

Guys
I defer to the knowledge of regular glider flyers in this matter.
my son is involved in gliding I am involved in powered homebuilding.

is there a wooden glider design or perhaps tube and fabric design that
has reasonable performance, that plans are available for, and can
handle the speeds of being towed aloft behind a pawnee.

the design must be something that a beginner soloing in a puchatec
could handle.

any designs that come to mind or am I wasting time considering this
avenue?

I have in mind the old australian design the "kookaburra" but I dont
know if plans are available.
Stealth Pilot
Australia

Stealth I have flown the Kookaburra its a two seater.

There is a KA6CR for sale its wood and fabric for $9.000

Have to go to work I will post later.

Mal

www.mals.net

Old July 10th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_1_]

http://www.gfa.org.au/museum/downloa...erBackPage.pdf

http://www.aus-soaring.on.net/absaght.htm

http://www.aus-soaring.on.net/glidin.../narrative.htm

Old July 10th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stealth Pilot

On 9 Jul 2006 06:18:01 -0700, wrote:

[...]

the woodstock is certainly a candidate. it looks like a suave little
glider.

being on the other side of the world makes the concept dependent on
plans.

thanks guys the suggestions have given me a lot of heart that this
would be a viable project. without an engine it would be as cheap an
aviation project to complete as you could imagine.

Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old July 10th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stealth Pilot

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:39:56 GMT, "Mal" wrote:

http://www.gfa.org.au/museum/downloa...erBackPage.pdf

http://www.aus-soaring.on.net/absaght.htm

http://www.aus-soaring.on.net/glidin.../narrative.htm

the boomerang is probably the design I'm thinking of. it was a single
seater with a glorious spruce smell ...which strikes me as odd now
since spruce has no smell :-)

an item in the first reference bought back memories. back in the 70's
the bunn brothers of albury had a hutter 17. as I recall it had a Vne
5 knots slower than the stall speed of the tug plane but it seemed to
handle the overspeed on tow well.
as I recall it is the only aircraft I have ever felt strongly
claustrophobic in. never got to fly it though.

interesting food for thought.
Stealth Pilot
Old July 10th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_1_]

Winch launch her Stealth http://www.mals.net/centralcoast/pages/DSC00471.htm

When I was in Brisvagus at Archy in Nigels hanger there were a few small
wooden glider projects going on they were keen and knowledgeable.

http://www.flyingfighters.com.au/mod...1101&page_id=4

Tom Gilbert is also a good place for help http://www.tandjsailplanes.com/

What state do you live in do you get the soaring Australia magazine ?

www.mals.net

Just spoted a K7 for sale $10.500 AUD