Tying down the bird

Old September 16th 03, 06:39 AM
Mike Noel

If it were my plane, I would fly it out of the storm path. Even if you keep
yours tied down safely, there could be a lot of flying debri in the air,
including other not so well tied down aircraft.

--
Regards,
Mike

"david whitley" wrote in message
Hi group
I need some basic instruction.... I've been noticing tie down ropes. The
knots folks use are all over the map. Is there a basic "best" knot for

tying
down the bird? We're looking at windy weather here in the NE this weekend.
The ropes here on the Vineyard are poly-something.
A link to a picture would be nice.
Dave

Old September 16th 03, 05:09 PM
John Clonts

Not Found
The requested URL /n51Y.htm was not found on this server.

So the plane blew away and was never found, eh?

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

BTIZ wrote in message
do not use open hooks especially with high winds..

look at www.aviation-salvage.com/n51Y.htm for results of open hooks

letting
go in a 57knt gust front..

"hnelson" wrote in message
m...
I have always been "knot challenged". For about $15 I got a set of nylon
tiedown straps with vinyl coated hooks from Costco. Set of 4. Two long

and
two short. The long ones work great for the wing tiedowns on my 182

short
one for the tail. Worked great during a tropical storm in LaPaz.

Howard

Old September 16th 03, 07:53 PM
roo

Have you tried a Versatakle?

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/Versatackle.html

Once you get the loop placement correct, you can leave them in the
line permanently and simply relace it whenever you need to tie down.
It's an easy way to get good line tension.
Old September 16th 03, 09:34 PM
No Spam

Hi group
I need some basic instruction.... I've been noticing tie down ropes. The
knots folks use are all over the map. Is there a basic "best" knot for tying
down the bird? We're looking at windy weather here in the NE this weekend.
The ropes here on the Vineyard are poly-something.
A link to a picture would be nice.
Dave

A taut line hitch. Look here on page 3:

(http://www.warrensdirectory.com/almanac/ropes&knots.pdf)

I use the double hitch part two or three times and finish it with a single.

BTW, the canoe hitch mentioned earlier would only serve to get the airplane
off your hands for insurance purposes.

No Spam

Old September 17th 03, 01:56 AM
BTIZ

http://www.aviation-salvage.com/N51Y.htm

must be a capital N thing.. it's still there... did a couple of cart wheels,
thankfully it was away from the tie down line... it could have been ugly...
there was about $1M worth of gliders on that tie down line... when the gust
front hit.. the other $500K where either in trailers or out on course.

BT

Old September 17th 03, 02:11 AM
john price

Buy a copy of F.E. Potts "Guide to Bush Flying", or read the section
on tying down airplanes on-line at:

http://www.fepco.com/BF.images.gentle.breeze.html

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

Old September 23rd 03, 03:41 AM
Bill

I have always used a Tautline hitch at the plane end. Allows for adjusting
to keep tight.
http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/tautlinehitch.htm
Has excellent instructions. Any First class boy scout can teach you too.
Any EAGLE scout should never have forgotten.
Bill Eagle Scout 1966,

Old September 23rd 03, 03:57 AM
Wayne

Thanks alot for posting that, I had my own favorite but I think I have a
new one. That knot, the clove hitch, the bowline and the highwayman's hitch
are about all would ever need. Now I have to teach my son.

Wayne

I have always used a Tautline hitch at the plane end. Allows for adjusting
to keep tight.
http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/tautlinehitch.htm
Has excellent instructions. Any First class boy scout can teach you too.
Any EAGLE scout should never have forgotten.
Bill Eagle Scout 1966,

"david whitley" wrote in message
Hi group
I need some basic instruction.... I've been noticing tie down ropes. The
knots folks use are all over the map. Is there a basic "best" knot for

tying
down the bird? We're looking at windy weather here in the NE this

weekend.
The ropes here on the Vineyard are poly-something.
A link to a picture would be nice.
Dave

Would the AH-6J (Little Bird make a good, low cost, helicopter for force protection? John Hairell Military Aviation 1 May 17th 04 04:21 PM
FS - Bird 43 Wattmeter element for Aviation repair Lou Aviation Marketplace 0 March 15th 04 01:27 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM
Finally got to fly my new bird Jay Honeck Owning 35 August 23rd 03 05:01 AM