Plexiglass protective paper

Old January 3rd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Plexiglass protective paper

Yeah I had a bad morning.....

Our underage teenage neighbors boinking in our yard at night
makes for great breakfast conversations with her parents.
Thank God I don't have to deal with the fallout............

On to the plastic ......

Take a heat gun and warm the plastic locally to about 150ish.
This will remelt the glue holding the paper to the plastic and
leave you with squeaky clean plastic to work with. The glue used
is a low temp thermoset not a solvent based glue so liquids really
just get in the way and get sucked into the sheet to crreate problems later.
Acrylic doesn't get imprintable until 225 with pressure and won't move
until around
250 if forced so you won't have any problems peeling it off. Don't
worry about this temp inducing any residual stresses in the plastic,
I've done this a bunch when I'm working with some old crappy paper sheeted
material and it always comes off perfectly when reheated a bit..........

Hope that sounded a bit better......

Scott.

wrote in message news:JEkuf.2799$z45.2262@trnddc02...

"pbc76049" wrote in message
Why haven't any of you guys read the DIRECTIONS on
how to remove the old stuff. Pop it in the oven, warm it to about 160F
and it comes off slick as snot. Forget solvents, water or any of that
other crap, just check the manufacturers recommendations.

Oh Yeah, I mold Acrylic for a living.

Gee Scott, have a bad morning?

As I recall, the original poster does not have the instructions from the
manufacture (the paper is old, faded, and dried on), let alone an oven
that
large.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("pbc76049" wrote)
Our underage teenage neighbors boinking in our yard at night makes for
great breakfast conversations with her parents. Thank God I don't have to
deal with the fallout............

Garden hose? Sprinkler system set to manual? Bucket of cold water?

Montblack

Old January 3rd 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pbc76049" wrote

Take a heat gun and warm the plastic locally to about 150ish.
This will remelt the glue holding the paper to the plastic and
leave you with squeaky clean plastic to work with. The glue used
is a low temp thermoset not a solvent based glue so liquids really
just get in the way and get sucked into the sheet to crreate problems
later.
Hope that sounded a bit better......

Much better, no doubt, and thanks for the info. I never had even considered
heat. I just hope this tidbit stays in my forgetful brain, until (not if,
but when) I need to remove some of that hateful old paper again.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pbc76049" wrote in message
Yeah I had a bad morning.....

Our underage teenage neighbors boinking in our yard at night

You never had those problems in Sedro Woolley did you?

Paper Cutter Mike Rapoport Home Built 3 August 23rd 05 07:10 PM
SSA CRC Mandatory ELT Position Paper Posted - SRA Site Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 9 January 18th 05 03:52 AM
You can now buy inkjet decal paper by the sheet Charlotte Gaisford Home Built 0 November 8th 04 01:59 PM
Tracking the Elusive Tracing Paper Veeduber Home Built 18 August 30th 04 12:53 PM
Looking for sand paper rolls and adhesive Roger Halstead Home Built 9 August 8th 03 08:58 AM