300 Km Flights (Was Failed Instruments)

Old August 25th 05, 02:15 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Default 300 Km Flights (Was Failed Instruments)

Bill Daniels mentioned the cost of failed 300 km flights
due to instrument failure.

Well, I've flown our 'standard' 300 km route about
5 times now and I hope the fifth try 'brings home the
trophy'. But if The Badge Lady isn't satisfied with
my flight log or paperwork or whatever, I'll have a
good incentive to do it again. Each time, I've improved
my speed around the triangular course and each time,
the speed rises to almost respectible levels above
stall speed :-)

So, I don't see missing out on a 300 km flight as a
'failure' but as a chance to continue and improve.

My question to myself: If I am awarded the Diamond
Goal, will I continue to attempt the 300 km flight,
or will the incentive be lost? Will the prospect of
continuing speed improvement win out over doing something
that won't bring another badge?

I don't know. I won't have another chance to attempt
it until next Spring. Our late summer and fall soaring
weather has historically never been good enough to
successfully complete the 300 km flight.

For the record, the flight circumnavigates the Raleigh-Durham
International Airport Class C airspace. Turnpoints
are Harnett County Airport (Located about halfway between
Raleigh and Fayetteville), Ball Airfield (just on the
north side of Louisburg) and Burlington-Alamance County
airport (east of Greensboro).

One challenge: Fly the course in the clockwise direction.
All five of my flights have been counter-clockwise.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS1-d, 'W8'

Old August 25th 05, 03:17 PM
Maule Driver

Hanging in my hanger at 8NC8, 4 yellowing sheets of paper, NC State
Soaring Records:

1) 4/2/95 15 meter speed triangular course 60.7 mph
2) 4/2/95 open class speed triangular course 60.7 mph
3) 4/2/95 15 meter distance triangular course 188.2 miles
4) 4/2/95 open class distance triangular course 188.2 miles

William P Watson
LS6b
KHNZ KBUY KHRJ

Old August 25th 05, 11:49 PM
Maule Driver

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
My question to myself: If I am awarded the Diamond
Goal, will I continue to attempt the 300 km flight,
or will the incentive be lost? Will the prospect of
continuing speed improvement win out over doing something
that won't bring another badge?

I faced this dilemma when soaring in NJ years ago. The late Bob Fitch
showed me and many others the way.

Bob Fitch was one of the anchors of Soaring Club Albatross (often
proclaimed to be the oldest glider club in US) flying out of Blairstown
NJ. I met him in the early 80s when he was still flying Blue Fly, a
homebuilt, perhaps an HP, that he built after he retired. The specifics
were never known by me, but I think he took up soaring upon retirement
from something and as far as I know, practically learned to fly in his
homebuilt.

At some point, he decided to get as many state records as possible. On
any soarable day, he was quietly declaring and flying off. 100k, 200k
300k, 500k, distance, speed, triangular course, O&R, whatever. A number
of us lesser pilots tried the same thing to little avail. Bob moved
from Blue Fly to an LS6.

I for one, tried a number of record flights. A good number of landouts
and failures followed. No records were set mainly because Bob was in
the same class and I just couldn't out fly him. I also learned how much
successful record flying depended on persistence and tenacity. They
don't come easy. This also led me to the discovery that record flying
and contest flying were entirely different affairs. I loved to race and
pursued it. Bob loved record flying, flew local contests, and traveled
the world crewing for DJ.

Bob showed us all how to stay engaged with the sky and the machines.
The record guys at Blairstown were always scheming - "let's see, do you
think we can we get the 2 place record for 100k speed in a borrowed 2-33
when visiting Vermont next month?" The racing guys started declaring
a Task du Jour on every soarable day. Blairstown became a wonderful
place to be a glider guider in the 80s and 90s. The tradition seems to
have continued in good 'ol NJ and surrounds....

So, how can you tell that's Brother Fitch's ship? The cigarette ashes
on the leading edge of the fin. That's smoking!

When I came to NC and tried to figure out how to stay engaged, I started
declaring record flights out of Louisburg, then Harnett. Thus the one
successful day, after many attempts. Like life, no only do you have to
do the deed, but you have to do the paperwork too.

Pursuing records, state records in particular, presumes that the SSA
still keeps records, that there is a state record keeper, and one make
the effort to declare. It's something to do. Others will follow.