Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old April 3rd 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:46:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
What a surprise, just today my son brought me a great gift to fight off the flaming liberals at the gliderport. It is a Bulgarian AK47 with 2000 rounds of ammunition. Thank god that I raised this kid correctly, educated him and he achieved the status of a Structural Engineer, PE.
He advised me to be careful of the soft trigger, and he told me to take it with me at all times to fend off all the flaming liberals even at the gliderport. I told him not to worry, I carry two pistols in the 27 and Eileen has one in the 24. Nothing like a family of glider pilots being well prepared for the Flaming Liberals.
I was hoping to make plans to fly around Lake Okeechobee again this week, but the weather is not in my favor. I have never smelt anything better than Hoppy,s # 9 gun oil or flew better that a ASW. Bob

A "REAL" flaming liberal is one that needs a wing runner!
Old April 4th 20, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 5:58:11 PM UTC-4, Gary Wayland wrote:
[...]

Gary, what would our old friend E9 say???
Old April 4th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I think the odds of either of those maladies are remote enough as to be
non existent.

On 4/3/2020 2:27 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 3:50:46 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Better to have it and not need it...Â* What if your engine won't start?

-
Dan, 5J

What if your gun won't go bang? What if it does at the wrong time and pointed in the wrong direction?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 4th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Scary story, Johathan.Â* Glad it worked out OK, but it's always best to
stay with the aircraft in a survival situation.Â* I'll bet you know that now!

On 4/3/2020 2:47 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 8:16:34 PM UTC-7, Steve Bralla wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 3:46:26 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
What a surprise, just today my son brought me a great gift to fight off the flaming liberals at the gliderport. It is a Bulgarian AK47 with 2000 rounds of ammunition. Thank god that I raised this kid correctly, educated him and he achieved the status of a Structural Engineer, PE.
He advised me to be careful of the soft trigger, and he told me to take it with me at all times to fend off all the flaming liberals even at the gliderport. I told him not to worry, I carry two pistols in the 27 and Eileen has one in the 24. Nothing like a family of glider pilots being well prepared for the Flaming Liberals.
I was hoping to make plans to fly around Lake Okeechobee again this week, but the weather is not in my favor. I have never smelt anything better than Hoppy,s # 9 gun oil or flew better that a ASW. Bob

I stated flying XC 40 years ago in SoCal in hang gliders and now in sailplanes. I can't think of a time that I thought I needed a gun when I landed out. I don't care if you have a gun but wonder about your need to brag about it. Is that like the guys with the 4x4s with the big and stupid tires with small hands?
I also wonder about your need to have guns to defeat the "flaming" liberals at your gliderport. Can't beat them with ideas? We have both libs and cons where I fly, no guns needed. We all like beer.

I started to fly XC 30 years ago and have never even considered being armed in a glider, at a gliderport, or really anywhere for that matter. However, there was on time in a flying career that spans many thousands of hours over many types of aircraft that it might have been nice to have a gun, but I had the training and experience to be safe without one. Right at sunset, I had a NiCad battery run away in an MD520N helicopter in the backcountry. Had to do an E-landing in a deep ravine at sunset. Thought I was prepared for this and the biggest mistake of all was among the 5 flashlights I had on board, not a single one could shine white light!!!! I was grounded and the fire had been contained to just the battery box. Didn't really have an emergency so I didn't want to trip the ELT. I started stumbling around in the dark, very dark, trying to find a place I could get cell coverage. Started to think maybe not a good idea with such limited visibility. Took stock of where I was and started moving back toward the helicopter when I notice a large cat was paralleling my course. I stopped, it stopped and sat. I started walking, that cat started walking. The cat has built in night vision, and switch blades on the end of every finger. In addition a cat has cat like reflexes. Yeah, I was fully aware now. I stood as tall as I could with arms out walked on toes at a steady pace back to bird and when I had to turn my back to open the open my skin was crawling. I have always owned a domestic cat and I know when you turn your back that is when they bite. It all worked out and I bought an STC Gel Cell battery.

--
Dan, 5J

Old April 4th 20, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Turkey Vulture

I think the last time wack-job conservatives actually went head-to-head with flaming liberals it was called the Civil War. Don't overestimate your abilities with those AK-47's wack-jobs, learn from your ancestors. However, if you must press your luck, all of us moderates will be happy to take your nice ASW 27 with a crappy rifle stored inside it.
Old April 4th 20, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 9:39:27 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I think the odds of either of those maladies are remote enough as to be
non existent.

On 4/3/2020 2:27 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 3:50:46 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Better to have it and not need it...Â* What if your engine won't start?

-
Dan, 5J

What if your gun won't go bang? What if it does at the wrong time and pointed in the wrong direction?

--
Dan, 5J

Statistics would disagree with both of these ideas about the danger of guns and animals, with a cursory analysis of the data being completely sufficient.

Some accidental shooting statistics. 2006 to 2016 had 6885 deaths.
https://www.aftermath.com/content/ac...hs-statistics/

And some cougar attack statistics. If you are an adult your risk dying from cougar attack is basically nil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Another quick internets search reveals an interesting connection with bear attacks and deaths... A cursory examination shows a high correlation of being attacked\dying by a bear with to your attempt to kill them. Shocker.

I spent a lot of time in the woods in the in my 20's across the western US, lower 48, frequently months at a time, with the most remote locations spent in a tent, some of that completely alone. I've never felt a need or a benefit to carrying a weapon. Ran into plenty of bears, wild ones in Montana and elsewhere, and play bears in southern California (probably just as dangerous). I've even been on the wrong side of a (very large) cougar stalking.. That one was 1000 feet from the La Cresenta, CA suburbs where the truly dangerous cougars are, lol.
An attempt at an honest understanding of the animals actual motivations seemed to serve me well. They are wild animals, but south of the Canadian border we are not on their food chain.
Old April 4th 20, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well arche I guess you havent been to montana lately. The grizzly population has exploaded, and if your elk or mule deer hunting in the fall you better shoot-kill- and pack up quick. The griz where we huntcome running at the sound of a shoot to steal your game. This has happened once to us and twice in the last year to hunting friends. Things are not like they used to be.

And as for a running gun war between conservatives n libs, the libs would’nt stand a chance. Where they live they have/are working to ban all gun ownership n the only folks in the urban lib zones are the criminals. When this ficticious war breaks out they will be busy ripping you all off, good luck with that.

Oh one last thought, let me remind you, your great white northern savior Abraham Lincoln........ was a Republican!!! Hows that for irony lol.

Oh and as to that wonderfull machine, correction, its a great gun in a greater machine lol

Peace
Dan
Old April 4th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 12:07 04 April 2020, Turkey Vulture wrote:
I think the last time wack-job conservatives actually went head-

to-head
wit=
h flaming liberals it was called the Civil War. Don't overestimate

your
abi=
lities with those AK-47's wack-jobs, learn from your ancestors.

However,
if=
you must press your luck, all of us moderates will be happy to

take your
n=
ice ASW 27 with a crappy rifle stored inside it.

I am a Brit so know nothing about the USA,
can you get a form1 for a gun rack?

Old April 4th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 7:25:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Oh one last thought, let me remind you, your great white northern savior Abraham Lincoln........
was a Republican!!! Hows that for irony lol.

My understanding is that back then the political platforms and leanings were the opposite of today. Here's a place to start researching this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_..._United_States

And an opinion piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...party-lincoln/

5Z
Old April 4th 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

As I am a moderate conservative gun owner living in a conservative State which allows Constitutional carry of firearms, concealed or otherwise, I agree with the "flaming Liberals". Specifically, no east or west coast (read liberal/democrat)resident should be allowed to own any means (read firearms) to defend themselves wherever and whatever situation they may find themselves in.
This opinion seems to meet both proponents and detractors of the 2nd amendment.
Further, Who cares what I think!
Scott