GoPro Camera Deal (I don't work there - this isn't spam)

Old April 17th 20, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

Default GoPro Camera Deal (I don't work there - this isn't spam)

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 3:58:47 PM UTC-4, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
They are currently running a sale - 100 bucks off online orders two day shipping on two different models of the Hero including the Hero 8 black which brings the price down to $299. Free shipping.

I'm about to bite the bullet and order one. After watching Bruno's vids it's pretty clear they work rather well.

I have a 4 GoPros of differing vintage (3 and 4 black and Session and 8) and two Garmins (VIRB Elite and 360). Most of them shut down in the South Florida direct sun if left running - both the Garmin and the GoPro. I do not use the highest shutter speed or resolution and they still shut down. BUT I will say the GoPro 8 (bought one in October) touch-screen interface is easy to use, has great video quality and the stabilization is amazing. I actually don't use it in the glider but it is a great action camera as long as you don't leave it running non-stop. It is a good deal on a superbly engineered piece of gear at $299.
Old April 17th 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

So here's an idea that I've had for a while...

Take something like the GoPro and split it into 2 devices. A tiny camera module that can be clipped to your glasses or elsewhere and the rest in a box big enough to hold a 10 hour battery and enough room for the processor to have a decent heat sink.

What I find annoying about the current trend in products is that everyone is trying to make stuff a inexpensive (cheap!) as possible. There's so many times that I see something I like, but wish I could find a version for 10, 20, 30 dollars more that's actually quality.

I've bought a couple FauxPro cameras for less than $60. Each came with at least $50 worth of accessories! They work OK, but the videos are "meh". Good enough to watch on a small screen at a distance - 32" TV across the room. But suck on a big screen.

5Z
Old April 17th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 11:50:46 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I don't have one and don't intend to buy one (got other expensive toys
in the pipeline), but I was really impressed with a recently linked
soaring video.Â* So impressed that I checked out how he did it.

He used a Gopro Fusion 360 degree camera.Â* I think they've got a special
going on right now.

On 4/16/2020 11:10 AM, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 8:10:42 AM UTC-6, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:38:58 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 6:05:47 PM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 12:58:47 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
They are currently running a sale - 100 bucks off online orders two day shipping on two different models of the Hero including the Hero 8 black which brings the price down to $299. Free shipping.

I'm about to bite the bullet and order one. After watching Bruno's vids it's pretty clear they work rather well.
But the camera shuts down when taking videos. Mine shuts down in approximately 1/2 hour when it gets hot sitting on my desk. Works great until it gets hot.

Google shutdowns when hot before purchasing.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Gopro blames aftermarket batteries and memory.

I've used a JVC HD camera with five different kinds of SD and never had a problem. It's never overheated or shut down and I've run it for 15-17 hours or more.

Guess I'll stick with my JVC for the time being.
Mine overheated I purchased direct from GOPRO.

Richard

Are there other models of GoPro camera that you would recommend instead?

--
Dan, 5J

Yes, the deal is; send them any digital camera, working or not, that costs more than $99 when new, and they will give you $100 off the MAX (latest 360 camera). I bought one, but have not taken delivery yet. Looks like an interesting device. Does it have overheating problems as well?

Matt
Old April 18th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 9:22:39 PM UTC-5, joesimmers wrote:
I bought a new hero 8 just last week with the good deal going on.
I really like the camera and the user interface. Takes amazing pictures and also
great video.
However just sitting on my desk, it overheats in 20 minutes and shuts down.
As much as I like it I will likely return it because of the overheating
and shutdown issues.
Before it shuts down it gets so hot you can barely hold it
in your hand without burning your skin, kinda crazy I
am shocked how warm it gets.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry it's turned out to be a lemon.
Old April 18th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 10:47:46 AM UTC-5, 5Z wrote:
So here's an idea that I've had for a while...

Take something like the GoPro and split it into 2 devices. A tiny camera module that can be clipped to your glasses or elsewhere and the rest in a box big enough to hold a 10 hour battery and enough room for the processor to have a decent heat sink.

What I find annoying about the current trend in products is that everyone is trying to make stuff a inexpensive (cheap!) as possible. There's so many times that I see something I like, but wish I could find a version for 10, 20, 30 dollars more that's actually quality.

I've bought a couple FauxPro cameras for less than $60. Each came with at least $50 worth of accessories! They work OK, but the videos are "meh". Good enough to watch on a small screen at a distance - 32" TV across the room. But suck on a big screen.

5Z

What kinds of FauxPro cameras have you guys had good experiences with and what did you pay for them? I'm wondering about options other than the GoPro, cams that win the price/performance/quality battle.

Chuck Werninger
LS-4 VL
Soaring Club of Houston
Old April 20th 20, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

I'm about to buy an Akaso V50 pro. It's $89.00
I'll let you know how it works out.
R,
Chris
Old April 20th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 2:07:10 AM UTC-5, Chris Behm wrote:
I'm about to buy an Akaso V50 pro. It's $89.00
I'll let you know how it works out.
R,
Chris

Chris,

I actually ordered an Akaso V50x for $99 last night. I'll post some feedback after I get it, too. Fingers crossed!

Chuck Werninger,
LS-4 VL
Soaring Club of Houston
Old April 20th 20, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Bet'cha it does a great job.Â* I have a Swann that I got for about that
price close to 10 years ago and it does just fine for my needs.