Release from tow, good procedure?

Old April 15th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Default Release from tow, good procedure?

Are we teaching the sailplane pilot to look for traffic to the left of
the towplane. There could be traffic just below and to the left that
the towpilot may not see.
If someone is low, to the left of the Pawnee do we hold on a bit
longer?
Your thoughts?
GA
Old April 15th 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_4_]

On Apr 15, 4:59*pm, glider wrote:
Are we teaching the sailplane pilot to look for traffic to the left of
the towplane. There could be traffic just below and to the left that
the towpilot may not see.
*If someone is low, to the left of the Pawnee do we hold on a bit
longer?
*Your thoughts?
*GA

We teach our students to clear to the right of the glider, then left
and below the tow plane before we release.
Fred Blair - CFIG
Greater Houston Soaring Association

Old April 16th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

"glider" wrote in message

Are we teaching the sailplane pilot to look for traffic to the left of
the towplane. There could be traffic just below and to the left that
the towpilot may not see.
If someone is low, to the left of the Pawnee do we hold on a bit
longer?
Your thoughts?
GA- Hide quoted text -

Are you pickin on me? ;-p
Old April 16th 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

"glider" wrote in message

Are we teaching the sailplane pilot to look for traffic to the left of
the towplane. There could be traffic just below and to the left that
the towpilot may not see.
If someone is low, to the left of the Pawnee do we hold on a bit
longer?
Your thoughts?
GA- Hide quoted text -

Are you pickin on me? ;-p

Naw.... just knew you'd be watching the forum... LOL

Old April 18th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin[_5_]

On Apr 15, 5:59*pm, glider wrote:
Are we teaching the sailplane pilot to look for traffic to the left of
the towplane. There could be traffic just below and to the left that
the towpilot may not see.

That's how students are taught at my club...look to the right for you,
then look to the left for the towplane.

Mind you, we're also taught to look around throughout the tow and
afterwards, not just prior to release