A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Aero-retrieve WING-RUNNER

Old May 27th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Aero-retrieve WING-RUNNER

Several pilots have asked me to build them a copy of my WING-RUNNER. It assembles by inserting 2 pins and slips over your wing tip, held in place with good old duct tape (provided). Keeps the wing tip about 6" off the runway/grass/gravel/short weeds! Collapses to 8" X 2" X 2" for easy storage
Put it on the up-wind wing, climb in and hold full stick away from the down wing. The ship will roll straight as an arrow on main, tail and WING-RUNNER. You can't tell its on there (no yaw into the wheel can be noted) E-mail me for photos. $99.95 and I pay the shipping.
Old May 27th 12, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot
external usenet poster

Gang,
These are great items. I donated a set - one for thick wing and thin
wing - to my club. They are kept in the club house and taken by the
towplane for aero retrieves. I, unfortunately, have had a chance to
use it on all kinds of surfaces and it works just as JJ describes.
Tom
Idaho

On May 26, 5:26*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Several pilots have asked me to build them a copy of my WING-RUNNER. It assembles by inserting 2 pins and slips over your wing tip, held in place with good old duct tape (provided). Keeps the wing tip about 6" off the runway/grass/gravel/short weeds! Collapses to 8" X 2" X 2" for easy storage
Put it on the up-wind wing, climb in and hold full stick away from the down wing. The ship will roll straight as an arrow on main, tail and WING-RUNNER. You can't tell its on there (no yaw into the wheel can be noted) E-mail me for photos. $99.95 and I pay the shipping. * * *

Old May 27th 12, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I typically take a 20-oz gatorade with me when I fly, and it makes a great aero-retrieve wing runner, slightly filled with water/gatorade/dirt. Prop one wing up on the bottle, tell pilot to go to full power with brakes on, then release. Wing comes off bottle, flies away. Learned this from John Lubon (JL) at my club (CCSC)

Frank (TA)

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:59:20 PM UTC-4, Boise Pilot wrote:
Gang,
These are great items. I donated a set - one for thick wing and thin
wing - to my club. They are kept in the club house and taken by the
towplane for aero retrieves. I, unfortunately, have had a chance to
use it on all kinds of surfaces and it works just as JJ describes.
Tom
Idaho

On May 26, 5:26*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Put it on the up-wind wing, climb in and hold full stick away from the down wing. The ship will roll straight as an arrow on main, tail and WING-RUNNER. You can't tell its on there (no yaw into the wheel can be noted) E-mail me for photos. $99.95 and I pay the shipping. * * *

Old May 28th 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin[_5_]
external usenet poster

We just take a student along in a two-place towplane. Student runs
the wing, towplane and glider take off and head for home. Student
finds his own way home...someday. It's hard in students, but easy on
wingtips.

Kidding...I love the Gatorade bottle idea. They can serve other
purposes in the cockpit, I'm told.
Old May 28th 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V
external usenet poster

On 5/28/2012 9:44 AM, Martin wrote:
wingtips.

I stopped doing that when a full bottle (not filled with Gatorade :-) )
slammed into the top of the canopy at 110 kts. No damage, fortunately.

Tony V.

Old May 30th 12, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 4:26:53 PM UTC-7, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Put it on the up-wind wing, climb in and hold full stick away from the down wing. The ship will roll straight as an arrow on main, tail and WING-RUNNER. You can't tell its on there (no yaw into the wheel can be noted) E-mail me for photos. $99.95 and I pay the shipping.

Years ago I called for an aero-retrieve using our rather weak club cub tow plane. No wing runner available, so I put the left wing domn and aimed the nose 30 degrees to the right, climbed in (holding full right aileron),told the tow pilot to hit it. My LS-6 went from 30 degrees right to 30 degrees left and I was about to nail a runway light when the left wing finally came up......WOW, there's got to be a better way! + half my tip skid was ground off!

That's when I developed my first WING-RUNNER tip wheel. The next year I landed at Butte Co. that has a 40 foot wide runway. No wing runner (again) so I put the main wheel 10 foot inside the right runway lights and my left wing with WING-RUNNER, 10 feet inside the left runway lights. Climbed in (holding full right aileron), told the tow pilot to hit it! She rolled straight down the runway and presently, the left wing cam up and I was back at the contest site in time tor a cool shower and a hot dinner.
Cheers,
JJ
PS, I collapses down to 8" X 8" X 2" (not 8 X 2 X 2)
Old May 30th 12, 11:43 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Sinclair[_2_] View Post

Years ago I called for an aero-retrieve using our rather weak club cub tow plane. No wing runner available, so I put the left wing domn and aimed the nose 30 degrees to the right, climbed in (holding full right aileron),told the tow pilot to hit it. My LS-6 went from 30 degrees right to 30 degrees left and I was about to nail a runway light when the left wing finally came up......WOW, there's got to be a better way! + half my tip skid was ground off!

That's when I developed my first WING-RUNNER tip wheel. The next year I landed at Butte Co. that has a 40 foot wide runway. No wing runner (again) so I put the main wheel 10 foot inside the right runway lights and my left wing with WING-RUNNER, 10 feet inside the left runway lights. Climbed in (holding full right aileron), told the tow pilot to hit it! She rolled straight down the runway and presently, the left wing cam up and I was back at the contest site in time tor a cool shower and a hot dinner.
Cheers,
JJ
PS, I collapses down to 8" X 8" X 2" (not 8 X 2 X 2)
Could you please email some pictures to me at aggies78 at gmail dot com?

Thanks,

Rob S.
Old June 6th 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

It looks like my Kodak easy-share hasn't been sharing with all. Here's a link for WING-RUNNER photo. http://www.soaridaho.com/Misc/wing-runner.jpg
Contact me at johnsinclair75(at)yahoo.com

Cheers,
JJ
Old June 6th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke[_4_]
external usenet poster

On my last aero-tow retrieve I used a wing-runner made by Hasbro, Click
the links for photos..

http://www.silentflight.ca/index.php..._itemId= 2662

http://www.silentflight.ca/index.php..._itemId= 2656

Worked like a charm

Luke

On 05/28/2012 12:55 PM, Tony V wrote:
On 5/28/2012 9:44 AM, Martin wrote:
wingtips.

I stopped doing that when a full bottle (not filled with Gatorade :-) )
slammed into the top of the canopy at 110 kts. No damage, fortunately.

Tony V.

Old June 6th 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Nau
external usenet poster

On May 26, 6:26*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:

I bought one from JJ a few years ago. I have not had to use it yet,
but I carry it with me on every flight. It is very nicely made,
lightweight, and sturdy. It take up little to no room in the cockpit
and fits easily on the storage space behind my head in the glider. I
highly recommend it!
Tom Nau
ASW-28