A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Damn you, COVID-19!!!

Old March 31st 20, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Damn you, COVID-19!!!

Looking at winds, forecasts, satellite photos, it looks like it could have been a very good run east from Minden, Nevada or someplace near there. SSA Sailplane Tracker doesn't want to work for me right now, so I can't see if anyone is up anywhere. Ah, well. Light winds, 4-5K AGL cu near Wichita, and I am sitting at home. Sigh.

Steve Leonard
Old March 31st 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

Hope you get up soon, though I doubt you'll receive much sympathy from those of us still living in winter weather! Good of you to reintroduce a new Coronavirus thread, the other thread was getting a bit too personal.

You've read about this anti-malarial/lupus drug, hydroxychloroquine, plus antibiotic (azithromycin) combination as a potential treatment/prophylactic for Covid-19. Lots of conflicting info out there and there are several tests ongoing, so I'm not offering an opinion that it works. Just a reminder that the FDA does not need to approve these drugs for use as an antiviral. Your physician is allowed, however, to prescribe any FDA approved drug (which both of these are) for any off-label use he/she deems might be useful and the side-effects don't outweigh the potential benefit (companies which sell these drugs are not allowed to promote this off-label use, but they can distribute published data on such use). Again, I have no inside info that they work against the virus but before all the reports are complete, one option is to discuss this with your MD/OD if you develop symptoms that are between "you've caught it, but go back home until it gets worse" and "I can't breath". Apparently there are some well-intending patients that wait too long before getting treatment and the guidance seems rather ill-defined (no pun).
Old April 2nd 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 2:00:54 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
You've read about this anti-malarial/lupus drug, hydroxychloroquine, plus antibiotic
(azithromycin) combination as a potential treatment/prophylactic for Covid-19.
...more stuff....

An ophthalmologist I know just had to chew out a pharmacist for refusing to fill a prescription for a patient who would go blind without the medication.

This author knows how to read an analyze medical studies:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hyd...rsus-covid-19/

And the website overall is a treasure trove of good information about all types of medical quackery, scams and misinformation. The comment threads are often as good or better than the articles due to the intelligent and well informed audience.

5Z
Old April 2nd 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Well Steve, its looking more n more like our season is screwed for the year and the 1-26 championships scheduled in your back yard are going to be another casualty. I am wondering if Kansas does not have a shelter-in-place rule still in effect in june, does sunflower ever have any midweek tows available? Or can a guy at least get an auto tow there at sunflower? For some of us guys who still exist under the axiom “to-fly-is-to-live”, while there may not be any organized contests, we are probably going to just try and do some record flying. I guess we/I am going to have to breakout my auto tow gear in order to get a launch.
Dan
Old April 2nd 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 12:17:51 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
Looking at winds, forecasts, satellite photos, it looks like it could have been a very good run east from Minden, Nevada or someplace near there. SSA Sailplane Tracker doesn't want to work for me right now, so I can't see if anyone is up anywhere. Ah, well. Light winds, 4-5K AGL cu near Wichita, and I am sitting at home. Sigh.

Steve Leonard

Not wanting to pour salt into an open wound - I live a few miles north of Minden . for the past two weeks the wave has been phenomenal. I said to myself while on the ground looking up -"man those are record making lennies"
Old April 2nd 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ah Joel, I sure miss the minden n air sailing area! And isn’t that the way of things, fantastic wx only when we can’t fly (no tow plane, no tow pilot, china virus, terrorist threat etc lol). My son was driving up thru southern Utah yesterday, bases were over 16k and streeting as far as the eye could see. It looks like this year is a bust, but I am still planning on making some record attempts. First in south texas, and maybe later out of tonopah if the 1-26 championships are cancelled. I have an auto tow set up, so if you want to do some flying and air sailing, minden, and truckee are still shut down in june, your welcome to join me in tonopah
Dan