Enroute GPS Install Cost?

Old May 28th 05, 01:17 AM
Carl Orton

Default Enroute GPS Install Cost?

Can an approach-certified GPS unit be installed but certified only for
enroute IFR use?

WILL a shop install an approach-certified GPS unit to enroute IFR
certification only?

Is an annunciator panel required for enroute use? Is an OBS resolver
required for enroute use?

I'm trying to minimize the cost of bringing my plane up to minimal IFR
capability. Right now, I have a Garmin 250XL GPS/Comm (VFR only), and that's
it. I'm thinking of adding a Narco NAV122 so that I can shoot my 1
precision and 2 non-precision approaches (ILS / VOR / LOC), but I really
like my 250XL.

I don't think I can use my VFR GPS for flying direct enroute - or can I?

If I can't, I was thinking about swapping my 250XL for a 300XL, but I really
don't want to spend $3,500 to install and certify it for approach use. Since
the connectors are the same, making the physical install a simple slide-in
transition, how much more would be required to do a legal install for
enroute certification only?

Alternatively, how much to install an enroute-only GPS, like a UPS/Garmin
GX55?

Thanks;
Carl

Old May 28th 05, 03:22 AM
Michelle P

Carl Orton wrote:

Can an approach-certified GPS unit be installed but certified only for

enroute IFR use?

Yes.

WILL a shop install an approach-certified GPS unit to enroute IFR
certification only?

yes

Is an annunciator panel required for enroute use? Is an OBS resolver
required for enroute use?

The annunciator "panel" is the difference between certifying for
approach and not. OBS function is not required but may be desired.

I'm trying to minimize the cost of bringing my plane up to minimal IFR
capability. Right now, I have a Garmin 250XL GPS/Comm (VFR only), and that's
it. I'm thinking of adding a Narco NAV122 so that I can shoot my 1
precision and 2 non-precision approaches (ILS / VOR / LOC), but I really
like my 250XL.

I don't think I can use my VFR GPS for flying direct enroute - or can I?

As a "backup" only.

If I can't, I was thinking about swapping my 250XL for a 300XL, but I really
don't want to spend $3,500 to install and certify it for approach use. Since
the connectors are the same, making the physical install a simple slide-in
transition, how much more would be required to do a legal install for
enroute certification only?

Alternatively, how much to install an enroute-only GPS, like a UPS/Garmin
GX55?

Have to call several shops. Prices vary widely.

Thanks;
Carl

Your welcome,
Michelle

Old May 28th 05, 05:19 AM
No Spam

On 5/27/05 19:17, "Carl Orton" wrote:

I don't think I can use my VFR GPS for flying direct enroute - or can I?

If you verify the controller will provide monitoring, yes you can. Just make
sure you file your route for the IFR-certified equipment you have - VOR,
probably. Been there. Done that.

- Don
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. - Jimmy Buffet

Old May 28th 05, 02:26 PM
A Lieberman

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:17:11 -0500, Carl Orton wrote:

I don't think I can use my VFR GPS for flying direct en route - or can I?

Carl,

I use my 250XL in my plane for ummm, "secondary" navigation for IFR
flights.

I file /A, direct and select an altitude higher then OROCA on the charts.

I ALWAYS do have all my en route VOR frequencies highlighted on my en route
charts and tune my NAV one and NAV two to the VOR's as I am passing them
just in case I do have to join a Victor route. In addition, gives me full
situational awareness of where I am.

On the one flight where I was below radar coverage, I would report my DME
from the closest VOR.

The legality of this flight is on the "premises" that ATC is providing
radar vectors to my destination.

I have not had problem thus far doing this.

Allen