Cheap Airplane

Old August 29th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Friedrich Ostertag

Default Cheap Airplane

Phil wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:09 pm, "Friedrich Ostertag"
wrote:

Wow, thats an innovative concept. I don't think to many wifes would
agree to go up in one, though :-)

You may be be right. But she wouldn't have to wear a helmet, and
there aren't a bunch of wires bracing it. So I would think it would
be an easier sell than most ultralights.

from my understanding there is a different usage of the term "ultralight" in
Europe and the US. While in the US "ultralight" refers to trikes and the
like, in Europe it's closer to LSA and could also be something like this:

http://www.fluginformation.info/ILA_...pulse_100.html

or this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Ultraleicht.jpg

no helmets required there.

The only problem is, that at 470 kg MTOW (including a recovery system) they
have barely enough payload to carry two people. If you want to carry fuel
for any range, you still have to go without the wife...

regards,
Friedrich

Old August 29th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

http://www.fluginformation.info/ILA_.../Impulse_100/i...

or this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Ultraleicht.jpg

no helmets required there.

The only problem is, that at 470 kg MTOW (including a recovery system) they
have barely enough payload to carry two people. If you want to carry fuel
for any range, you still have to go without the wife...

regards,
Friedrich

What you refer to as an ultralight I think would be a very nice
personal airplane. I am currently doing my training in a Flight
Design CT, and I think it is very comfortable and more than adequate
for cross-country flight. But in order to grow the general aviation
market, I think LSAs like this are still too expensive.

Flying on the Cheap - VOX [email protected] Home Built 6 February 27th 06 03:01 AM
Cheap IO-540 available Orval Fairbairn Home Built 1 February 20th 05 10:08 PM
cheap avgas Dan Luke Owning 10 December 24th 04 04:15 AM
Screwing on the Cheap Bob Hoover Home Built 1 November 1st 04 01:25 PM
Any cheap bastards here? Paul Tomblin Instrument Flight Rules 11 August 17th 03 03:57 PM