Latest Blackhawks down

Old November 16th 03, 05:58 AM
miso

Default Latest Blackhawks down

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3273895.stm

Previosly, a thread went into the merits of flying low. Maybe that
works for SA-7s, but flying low puts the choppers in the range of the
RPGs.

The news never states the type of RPG, but if it is the RPG-7, the
range is 300 meters.
http://www.g2mil.com/RPG.htm

Part of the new plan was to fly at night, but given the description of
the witnesses, it seems like this flight was during the day.
Old November 16th 03, 06:12 AM
Sunny

"miso" wrote in message
om...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3273895.stm

Previosly, a thread went into the merits of flying low. Maybe that
works for SA-7s, but flying low puts the choppers in the range of the
RPGs.

The news never states the type of RPG, but if it is the RPG-7, the
range is 300 meters.
http://www.g2mil.com/RPG.htm

It's more than that : (fast and low is still the go - don't give the
*******s time to set up)
The maximum range for antitank grenades against area targets is 920 meters,
at which point the round self-destructs after its 4.5 second flight. The
antipersonnel grenades reach over 1100 meters.

Old November 16th 03, 08:11 PM
miso

Does fast and low presume that there is terrain to hide behind? I
suppose the silhouette of a Blackhawk is easier to see against the sky
than the horizon.

I don't presume I'm correct, but whatever we are doing now isn't
working.

om...

Old November 16th 03, 11:13 PM
Sunny

Unfortunately, we will never know how many attempts at engaging choppers
were abandoned.
The helicopter is very vulnerable to shooters hiding among buildings.
What will go a long way, is for the ground troops to get out of their
vehicles, stop returning to their "compounds" each night and start sneaking
among the locals. (get the friendly ones on side and start gathering some
hard intel)
(my solution, from the safety of my chair)

"miso" wrote in message
om...
Does fast and low presume that there is terrain to hide behind? I
suppose the silhouette of a Blackhawk is easier to see against the sky
than the horizon.

I don't presume I'm correct, but whatever we are doing now isn't
working.

"Sunny" wrote in message

om...

Old November 17th 03, 12:52 AM
The Enlightenment

(miso) wrote in message . com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3273895.stm

Previosly, a thread went into the merits of flying low. Maybe that
works for SA-7s, but flying low puts the choppers in the range of the
RPGs.

The news never states the type of RPG, but if it is the RPG-7, the
range is 300 meters.
http://www.g2mil.com/RPG.htm

Part of the new plan was to fly at night, but given the description of
the witnesses, it seems like this flight was during the day.

Interesting aticle.

If the RPG7 launcher was fitted with a WW2 style lead computing sight
and given a radar/laser proximity fused fragmentation round it might
be quite effective at ambushing helicopters.

Single chip gyroscopes are now available for radio contolled model
aircraft. In the absence of gyroscopes for obtaining rate information
a tripod could be provided as a basis. Radar/laser promximity fuses
are also not difficult or expensive items in this day and age.

Old November 17th 03, 09:31 PM
The Enlightenment

"miso" wrote in message
om...
I think the gyros are just for failsafe level flght.

I meant Gyros for the RPG7 launcher sights. The idea is that the
person firing the RPG7 turns a dial to close in a recticle around the
helicopter. This estimates the range and gives the amount of
elevation needed. At the same time by tracking the helicopters for a
few seconds the 'rate' of the helicopters crossing speed is calculated
and in this way a complete 'firing solution' is available. The Gyros
are needed to provide a measurement basis if a tripod can't be
provided. The RPG7 is then launched against the helicopter. The
lighter RPG7 rounds have a fair degree of velocity and therefore
range. If a special anti-aircraft fragmentation round is supplied
with a simple (laser) proximity fuse I think a very effective weapon
would be produced. I immagine such a round would have a lethal
distance of quite a few meters and a near miss would be enough.

In the absence of such a computing sight a WW2 style griticule could
be provided with the opperator estimating range and speed.

The range would be restricted to about 1000 meters but I salvo of half
a dozen such rounds might be very effective.

I suspect that someone must have tried to create a guided RPG7 round.
It wouldn't take much to put laser beam riding in.

(The Enlightenment) wrote in message

. com...
. com...

Old November 18th 03, 08:26 AM
miso

I'm sure the insurgents are taking notes. ;-)

Actually, there are all sorts of piezo (really MEMS) based gyros on
the market. This would be dual-use technology, though I doubt they US
players (like Analog Devices) are sending them to the Middle East. The
other source for solid state gyros is Japan, which may not have tight
controls.

"The Enlightenment" wrote in message ...
"miso" wrote in message
om...
[...]

. com...