Got burned - Don't go to Lansing Jet Center.

Old November 30th 03, 02:18 AM
Jay Honeck

The weather on Friday made it impossible to return because of icing
issues. No problem better safe than sorry right... Saturday dawned
much better. Got to the airport to find the plane with a coating of ice
that needed to be removed. My FBO at home takes care of this for free. I
wasn't expecting it to be free but when they finished the job and
presented me with a $462.50 bill I about lost it (**** my pants). Hell
the plane rental for the 3 days wasn't even that much. I paid the bill
and vowed to not go there again.

Jon, what in the world were you renting -- a Gulfstream?

If this charge was for a Spam Can, you NEED to write a letter to the owner
of this facility, and demand a refund. There is no way in the world
de-icing a Cessna/Piper/Beech should cost even 10% of what you were charged.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 30th 03, 02:34 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "mike regish" said:
By the way, I did ask how much it was going to cost. They told me
$12.50 a gallon. My stupidity was thinking that it would take 5 to 10
gallons max. Even then $12.50 for a 50% mix of glycol and water is
pretty damn steep (I thought so anyway). I appreciate your support
though....

Now *that* is outrageous. What did they do, pretend you were a 747 and
spray all the area 100 feet either side of you as well?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
There are mushrooms that can survive weeks, months without air or food.
Old November 30th 03, 03:41 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Tom S." wrote in message
Yeah. Why, if you drank a cup of coffee and then they told you it was
$49.50, you'd be a fool to complain about it.

And don't ask for their chocolate cookie recipe.

The recipe is available at
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/se...e_recipe.jhtml
(UL/hoax from http://makeshorter.com/?72Q42u62L)

Old November 30th 03, 02:45 PM
Brooks Hagenow

By the way, I did ask how much it was going to cost. They told me $12.50 a
gallon. My stupidity was thinking that it would take 5 to 10 gallons max.
Even then $12.50 for a 50% mix of glycol and water is pretty damn steep (I
thought so anyway).

So they used 37 gallons? How many gallons does it normally take to de-ice
Cessna sized aircraft? I just checked the local airports pricing and it is
$50 +tax to "defrost" the plane in a heated hanger and/or $20 a gallon for
type I aircraft deice.

But wow, if it really took 37 gallons you would have been charged $740 at my
local airport.

Old November 30th 03, 03:05 PM
Tom S.

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message
"Tom S." wrote in message
Yeah. Why, if you drank a cup of coffee and then they told you it was
$49.50, you'd be a fool to complain about it.

And don't ask for their chocolate cookie recipe.

The recipe is available at
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/se...e_recipe.jhtml
(UL/hoax from http://makeshorter.com/?72Q42u62L)

:~) (I was wondering if someone would pick that up)

Old November 30th 03, 03:06 PM
Tom S.

"Brooks Hagenow" wrote in message
news
By the way, I did ask how much it was going to cost. They told me $12.50

gallon. My stupidity was thinking that it would take 5 to 10 gallons

max.
Even then $12.50 for a 50% mix of glycol and water is pretty damn steep (I
thought so anyway).

So they used 37 gallons? How many gallons does it normally take to de-ice
Cessna sized aircraft? I just checked the local airports pricing and it

is
$50 +tax to "defrost" the plane in a heated hanger and/or $20 a gallon for
type I aircraft deice.

But wow, if it really took 37 gallons you would have been charged $740 at

my
local airport.

With 37 gallons they could have deiced Minnesota.

Old November 30th 03, 03:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jon Kraus wrote:

I decided to fly from my home north of Indianapolis Indiana to visit
family in Lansing Michigan. My trip up was a beautiful, uneventful hour
and a half flight. I was to stay until Friday morning and then return.
The weather on Friday made it impossible to return because of icing
issues. No problem better safe than sorry right... Saturday dawned
much better. Got to the airport to find the plane with a coating of ice
that needed to be removed. My FBO at home takes care of this for free. I
wasn't expecting it to be free but when they finished the job and
presented me with a $462.50 bill I about lost it (**** my pants). Hell
the plane rental for the 3 days wasn't even that much. I paid the bill
and vowed to not go there again.

Did you discuss this with them at all? Seems to me they probably misplaced the
decimal point.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old November 30th 03, 04:51 PM
Lynne Miller

When we de-ice the jet in Boston, it's about $500. That IS for a
Gulfstream. As such, I would expect yours to be in the $100 to $175
range. The $12.50 per gallon is fair, though. A very good option would
be that the person who sprayed the aircraft did not know how to spray
correctly, and as such used WAY too much glycol. It's been done
before...

Jon Kraus wrote in message .. .
I decided to fly from my home north of Indianapolis Indiana to visit
family in Lansing Michigan. My trip up was a beautiful, uneventful hour
and a half flight. I was to stay until Friday morning and then return.
The weather on Friday made it impossible to return because of icing
issues. No problem better safe than sorry right... Saturday dawned
much better. Got to the airport to find the plane with a coating of ice
that needed to be removed. My FBO at home takes care of this for free. I
wasn't expecting it to be free but when they finished the job and
presented me with a $462.50 bill I about lost it (**** my pants). Hell
the plane rental for the 3 days wasn't even that much. I paid the bill
and vowed to not go there again.

Any one got any stories of being ripped off? I feel the need to
commiserate... ;-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

Old November 30th 03, 05:55 PM
John Roncallo

Brooks Hagenow wrote:
By the way, I did ask how much it was going to cost. They told me $12.50 a

gallon. My stupidity was thinking that it would take 5 to 10 gallons max.
Even then $12.50 for a 50% mix of glycol and water is pretty damn steep (I
thought so anyway).

So they used 37 gallons? How many gallons does it normally take to de-ice
Cessna sized aircraft? I just checked the local airports pricing and it is
$50 +tax to "defrost" the plane in a heated hanger and/or $20 a gallon for
type I aircraft deice.

But wow, if it really took 37 gallons you would have been charged $740 at my
local airport.

I gererally use about 2 gallons when I do it with a bug sprayer. I have
seen small aircraft deiced with large equipment (Fire Hose). I dont
doubt 37 gallons could be used becasue it comes out so fast it just
doenot have time to work. Such equipment is really too bigg for a small
aircraft.

John Roncallo

Old November 30th 03, 06:33 PM
Jon Kraus

A bucket truck with a firehose is exactly what they used. I should have
taken a picture because it really was a funny sight. JK