The First Thousand Hours

Old December 2nd 05, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default The First Thousand Hours

Jay,
Congratulations. 1000th hrs is quite a milestone. What kind of
logbook do you use to have rooms for all those flight details & how
long did it take to tally the record?

Except for the line about flying over the lake without a life
jacket, what about scary parts like icing encounter, electrical
failures, equipment malfunction, icy runways, extreme crosswinds,
severe turbulence, etc.?

I have been flying just a bit over 4 years accumulating close to
550hrs. Unless something happens, I expect to at least match your
record of 1Khrs in 10 years. In looking back, I have few good memories
like the first flight with my daughter (it took us over 3 yrs to
convince her to get in a small plane), fulfilling a dying man's wish of
flying over his property in our plane, the long cross-country trips to
MI, MN, CO, AR, our exciting IFR training flights etc However, the
more memorable are the scary ones like the unexpected freezing rain
encounter, the total electrical failure, the heart-stopping go-around
while attempted to land in a short runway surrounded by tall trees (had
to add power last second while attempting short field landing to
counter sudden windshear), one aborted takeoff (the plane ahead did a
180 to land back in the runway due to engine failure), several aborted
landings (animals suddenly appeared on runways) etc.. Hope that I will
as a safe flying record as your.

Hai Longworth

Old December 3rd 05, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

And how did you get to fly a Connie?

It was part of the deal when we put up the MATS Connie crew for a weekend...
Mary and I both got some dual with Frank Lang, the 82 year old pilot of that
grand old ship.

You made a good swap!

vince norris
Old December 3rd 05, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kids activities "stopped me aging"????? That should be 'again'. On the
contrary, they AGE you.

I was *wondering* about that. Mine certainly do!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 05, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Except for the line about flying over the lake without a life
jacket, what about scary parts like icing encounter, electrical
failures, equipment malfunction, icy runways, extreme crosswinds,
severe turbulence, etc.?

Well, Hai, there have been a few of those.

- The time we lost the #2 cylinder coming out of Titusville, FL, thanks to
lead fouling. Had to come around and land with a very rough engine.
- The complete electrical failure in a clapped out rental Cherokee 140, at
night...
- The sudden encounter with icing while flying right seat with Mary as
PIC...
- The near-collision with a Stinson in the pattern over Iowa City...
- Landing, at night, on a 2300' x 30' wide strip, with mayonnaise-jar lights
on just one side of the runway, and snow drifts all around...
- The inadvertent retraction of flaps on take-off in a 172, and the near
collision with traffic as the plane settled back toward the earth...
- The severe turbulence coming into Oelwein, IA that very nearly convinced
Mary never to fly again...
- The time we drained over a quart of water from the tanks of a rental
plane...
- The time the throttle cable broke, thankfully while taxiing out to the
runway...(rentals, again)

Come to think of it, most of the scary stuff (other than the bills we
occasionally receive!) went away when we stopped renting. Some of the
rental fleet is pretty frightening!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 05, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kids activities "stopped me aging"????? That should be 'again'. On the
contrary, they AGE you.

I was *wondering* about that. Mine certainly do!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

Hold onto your hat. I have met your kids, and I guarantee....comparing what
you have gone through, and what is yet to come?

You ain't seen nothin', yet!!! g
--
Jim in NC

P.S. This time, I'm not kidding!
There is a reason that you only have just *started* getting gray.

Old December 3rd 05, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

P.S. This time, I'm not kidding!
There is a reason that you only have just *started* getting gray.

My hair is falling out faster than it can turn gray!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I WAS going to suggest you go buy a lottery ticket but by the sound of
it you don't need it :-)
My 'scary' was a series of engine failures in a (again) rental
microlite........

Old December 3rd 05, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Come to think of it, most of the scary stuff (other than the bills we
occasionally receive!) went away when we stopped renting. Some of the
rental fleet is pretty frightening!

You left out Mary's arrival at AirVenture 2005!
Old December 3rd 05, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Come to think of it, most of the scary stuff (other than the bills we
occasionally receive!) went away when we stopped renting. Some of the
rental fleet is pretty frightening!

You left out Mary's arrival at AirVenture 2005!

Ooooo, you're *BAD*....

They DID throw everything they had at her, and it was an, um,
"interesting" arrival -- but we have been able to use the plane again
since, so I guess it couldn't have been *too* bad...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 05, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Congratulations on the thousand hour milestone ..
And thanks again for another interesting post !
J.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Life is full of little transitions and milestones. Back in 1995, when I
got my ticket, I privately vowed that I would fly 1000 hours in the next
ten years.