Jay Honeck in AOPA Pilot

Old February 6th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Default Jay Honeck in AOPA Pilot

"Ross" == Ross writes:
Ross Now the newsgroup is gone and I had to sell my
Ross plane. Not in a happy place....

You had to sell your plane because a ng disappeared??
--
The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine.
~ George Washington Administration Treaty
Old February 6th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

How has the fight gone, at Jay's airport? I know they had some issues, at
last time I heard.

Boy, maybe I should check in here more often?

:-)

First off, Jim, let's put the blame squarely where it belongs: "Bertie the
Bunyip" single-handedly killed this group. MX was a minor annoyance who
could be mildly amusing, but the ever-caustic king of the trolls drove off
every good poster here.

Secondly, many of us have gone to "Pilots of America". It's a good group,
and, yes, the interface can be difficult. It's worth it, however, to be
able to discuss aviation again. (And, for those who really want to go on
political rants, there's a place there called "The Spin Zone" that can be a
lot of fun.)

ANYWAY, our airport here in Iowa City is doing fine. We're down to just two
runways now (we lost our North/South runway a couple of years ago), but our
airport advocacy group, "Friends of Iowa City Airport" (FOICA) and airport
commission have worked together to make sure that local Iowa City residents
and our city council are aware of the essential role our airport plays in
our local economy. This public relations effort is the key to keeping any
airport viable.

Thanks to these (and other) efforts, we've seen a lot of good things done,
although they were very painful in coming. Things like taxiways paved,
runways reconstructed, and hangars rehabilitated have been common-to-see
each construction season for the last several years.

Sadly, amongst all these victories have been terrible losses. We lost our
historic Boeing/United Hangar to the wrecking ball, after a 5-year battle.
We lost Rwy 18/36 virtually overnight, without warning. This summer our
airport is going to be completely, 100% closed for 3 to 4 weeks, while the
intersection of Rwy 12 and Rwy 25 is reconstructed -- an act of stupidity
that could have been avoided if only we hadn't lost our third runway.

Still, in the end we will have a terrific, completely refurbished airport
when -- just a few years ago -- our city council was trying to shut it down.
So, all in all, we've won more than we've lost. Victory is never complete,
however -- the anti-airport crowd is like the Frankenstein monster, never
*really* dead, always threatening to pop back to life at any moment.

It would be nice to come back here more often -- I really miss the
interface, and all of you guys! We'll see how well this post is met.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 09, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Feb 5, 10:11*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Gotta ask -- how many hours has your son logged? I think 200 is the
magic number, or at least used to be, for the instrument rating. The
betting had been he'd do that before you.
Old February 6th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Gotta ask -- how many hours has your son logged? I think 200 is the
magic number, or at least used to be, for the instrument rating. The
betting had been he'd do that before you.

Sadly (but, as expected) he's rarely flown since Oshkosh. Being a freshman
in college, and away from home, he's way busy, all the time.

I fly with him every few months just so he can stay current, but I don't
expect he'll have any real time (or money) to devote to flying for a few
more years. Unless he pursues flying as a vocation, I doubt he'll get the
IR any time soon, if ever.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Sadly (but, as expected) he's rarely flown since Oshkosh. Being a
freshman in college, and away from home, he's way busy, all the time.

I fly with him every few months just so he can stay current, but I don't
expect he'll have any real time (or money) to devote to flying for a few
more years. Unless he pursues flying as a vocation, I doubt he'll get the
IR any time soon, if ever.

There is hope. My case in point.

My son got up to solo, when the plane broke, instructors moved on, and
college started. He had to quit, to pursue life.

6 years later, college is done, has a decent job and wife, and he has
started back, hopefully with the finances and desire to see it through. I
think he will, as anything he has decided to take on, he has done so.

Glad to hear things with the airport are not going too badly. The loss of
the hangar is a pity, as is the runway, but in these times, open (mostly) is
good!

I hope to see you at OSH this year, on my own, or with a friend who has
never been, but wants to. I may spend some time down in Vintage Land.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 6th 09, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Feb 4, 12:01*pm, Kingfish wrote:
Anybody see the new issue? (with the Baron on the cover) Jay's been
recognized for his effort with ASN.

Already congratulated him over in Hanger Talk.

Old February 6th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Feb 4, 5:28*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Very sad, that one addicted, unbalanced kid could cause so many good people
to leave.
--
Jim in NC

As already pointed out, he's just one of the ingredient in that soup.
Old February 6th 09, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Feb 4, 4:28*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

Very sad, that one addicted, unbalanced kid could cause so many good people
to leave.
--
Jim in NC

It's my contention that nobody causes anyone to leave.
The decision for me to leave a particular usenet group (or anything
for that matter) is made only by me and I am not made to leave by
anybody. Others don't have that kind of control over me, nor do I have
control over others.
I refuse to give anybody the kind of control over me that they would
cause me to leave or do anything. I take full responsibility over my
decisions.

Ricky (who hasn't ever left a usenet group or plonked anyone in 15
years on usenet).

Old February 6th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darrell[_2_]

Very sad, that one addicted, unbalanced kid could cause so many good people
to leave.

I see 3 addicted, unbalanced kids (well, babies really) here (besides
me, of course).

An alleged airline pilot addicted to his illusion of controlling
everyone else,

A MSFS addict,

And the other addicted to only responding to the alleged addicted
airline pilot.

All 3 highly unbalanced (seriously, they reek of needing professional
help), and highly worth ignoring, lest they go away.

Darrell

Old February 6th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Feb 6, 2:54*am, Darrell wrote:
Very sad, that one addicted, unbalanced kid could cause so many good people
to leave.

I see 3 addicted, unbalanced kids (well, babies really) here (besides
me, of course).

An alleged airline pilot addicted to his illusion of controlling
everyone else,

A MSFS addict,

And the other addicted to only responding to the alleged addicted
airline pilot.

All 3 highly unbalanced (seriously, they reek of needing professional
help), and highly worth ignoring, lest they go away.

Darrell

There is the possibility, Darrell, that (to use one of the pair's
favorite phrase) at least one is a sock puppet of the other. The
styles differ but the intellectual content is identical, and they
often appear as a pair, joined at the keyboard, or hips, or elsewhere.
Probably elsewhere.