CFII Loses Medical

Old September 29th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Chilcoat

Default CFII Loses Medical

I'm roughly 15 hours into my Instrument training, with a friend who is a
former Eastern and Kiwi pilot. Yesterday he had triple bypass surgery. We
discussed what to do, since I would like to continue my training with him.
We seem to be very compatible.

As far as either of us can tell from the FARs, little has changed except
that he can no longer serve as PIC, which means that I will need to fly with
someone else in IMC. However, it is not completely clear about simulated
instrument conditions. Sec. 91.109 states that:

"No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument
flight unless--
(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who
possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class
ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown."

No mention is made as to whether or not that "possessed" certificate needs
to be current. Furthermore we can find nothing elsewhere in the regulations
about this. Any thoughts? Can I fly with my foggles on, with Ken in the
right seat?

Old September 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

You must fly most of your instrument training in actual or
simulated conditions.

A CFI or CFII does not need a medical to instruct.
A safety pilot IS required for simulated instrument
conditions. That safety pilot is required to be qualified
with at least a private pilot certificate and a category and
class rating in the airplane.

Your CFII could instruct from the back seat and your buddy,
a private pilot, could be the safety pilot in the front
seat.

Your CFII can instruct in simulators.

You should find a CFII with a medical for the smoothest
training. Who owns the airplane and buys the insurance?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in
message ...

Old September 29th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

"No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument
flight unless--
(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who
possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class
ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown."

Nothing has invalidated his pilot (or CFI) certificate. That's all you
need for 91.109.

HOWEVER 61.3 requires a CURRENT, VALID meidcal for required crew members
which he is at this point. We went around with this and the local FSDO
(and even the FAA HQ) trying so see if there was some "interpretation"
or waiver that could allow my instructor who was in a similar situation
to instruct hooded pilots.
Old September 29th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

You only need 15 hours of CFII instruction before your checkride. In
theory the CFII could sit in the back offering advice, not logging
dual, while a private pilot sits in the rigtht seat and acts as safety
pilot (since you can not put on the hood while your CFII non-medical
guy is in the right seat).

-Robert

Old September 30th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Jim Macklin wrote:

Your CFII could instruct from the back seat and your buddy,
a private pilot, could be the safety pilot in the front
seat.

I have served as a safety pilot in such situation and it
actually works great; not only that but it was really
educational for me as well.

....and all three of us got to log the time :-)

You should find a CFII with a medical for the smoothest
training. Who owns the airplane and buys the insurance?

there are huge differences in CFIIs abilities to teach, not
only in the quality of the instruction but also in the number
of hours to get the rating. It might very well be worth the
effort to stick with someone with the experience and teaching
competence (and drive! this guy is teaching while recovering
from a pretty traumatic life experience)

--Sylvain
Old September 30th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Robert M. Gary wrote:

theory the CFII could sit in the back offering advice, not logging
dual,

if he is instructing, he logs the time; nowhere does it say he
has to do it from the front seat...

--Sylvain
Old September 30th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
zatatime

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:25:28 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I'm roughly 15 hours into my Instrument training, with a friend who is a
former Eastern and Kiwi pilot. Yesterday he had triple bypass surgery. We
discussed what to do, since I would like to continue my training with him.
We seem to be very compatible.

Where do you fly out of?

Old September 30th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
You must fly most of your instrument training in actual or
simulated conditions.

Oh, bull****.

Jim

Old September 30th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The word most does not mean all. You need to learn many
skills, some can best be learned while watching outside even
when flying an ILS. But you can't log a demonstrated ILS in
visual conditions with outside reference as "instrument"
time. Doing the ILS and seeing what it really looks like is
important and will save time since it speeds up the learned
skill of visualization. But it isn't logable as instrument
time, just dual instruction.

You have a nice day.

news |

Old September 30th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Sylvain wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

theory the CFII could sit in the back offering advice, not logging
dual,

if he is instructing, he logs the time; nowhere does it say he
has to do it from the front seat...

I think you are stretching the FARs a bit. Are you saying you think its
ok to give instruction when there are dual controls but the instructor
can't access them? I don't think that would hold up in court.

91.109
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft (except a manned free
balloon) that is being used for flight instruction unless that aircraft
has fully functioning dual controls. ...