CFI recommendations

Old December 28th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_11_]

Default CFI recommendations

Hi,

I've been reading this newsgroup for at least a year now and appreciate
the experience and knowledge that everyone (not including trolls)
contributes.

I live in southern NJ and am thinking about scheduling an intro flight
sometime in the near future. There are two airports closeby: Flying W
and South Jersey Regional. I understand that finding the right
instructor is very important and is a decision I only can make. But does
anyone have any good/bad feedback about any instructors from either
airport? Also would be interested in feedback on their fleets (average
age of training aircraft, condition, history, etc.).

--
Mike
Old December 28th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Do an intro at both airports and find out which seems best
for your purposes. Talk with several CFIs to see how you
and they mesh. A few minutes spent over coffee or even
lunch, will go a long way to answering your questions.

. ..

Old December 28th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_11_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
Do an intro at both airports and find out which seems best
for your purposes. Talk with several CFIs to see how you
and they mesh. A few minutes spent over coffee or even
lunch, will go a long way to answering your questions.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Mike
Old December 28th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Your welcome.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

. ..

Old December 30th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
stearmandriver

Mike wrote:
Hi,

I've been reading this newsgroup for at least a year now and appreciate
the experience and knowledge that everyone (not including trolls)
contributes.

also a good idea to schedule lessons with 2 different instructors, even
at the same school. You will have a very close relationship with your
instructor so you must feel very comfortable with him/her. After flying
at least twice with each instructor, make a choice. You'll be able to
tell who fits you best. there is a differnce between a pilot and an
airplane driver, and some instructors are the latter. an older person
who instructs for a living or even part time, will generally be a
better chioce than a person who is just time building to ge a better
aviation job' Good luck.

Old December 31st 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message ...
: Do an intro at both airports and find out which seems best
: for your purposes. Talk with several CFIs to see how you
: and they mesh. A few minutes spent over coffee or even
: lunch, will go a long way to answering your questions.
:
:

Yes, you buy, they fly...

A little bit OT - I received a pretty cool book for x-mas called 'Slipping the Surly Bonds - Great Quotations on Flight'
by Dave English (pretty fun read so far)...

back on topic, one was "There are some flight instructors where the student is important, and there are some where the
instructor in important. Pick carefully."

Old January 1st 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_11_]

Blueskies wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message ...
: Do an intro at both airports and find out which seems best
: for your purposes. Talk with several CFIs to see how you
: and they mesh. A few minutes spent over coffee or even
: lunch, will go a long way to answering your questions.
:
:

Yes, you buy, they fly...

A little bit OT - I received a pretty cool book for x-mas called 'Slipping the Surly Bonds - Great Quotations on Flight'
by Dave English (pretty fun read so far)...

back on topic, one was "There are some flight instructors where the student is important, and there are some where the
instructor in important. Pick carefully."

Thanks for the feedback. Right now my purpose is to just experience a
taste of flying to see if it's something I would continue pursing (I
have already been studying quite a bit on the subject).

So, the big question on my mind right now is if I should wait until I
would have time to dedicate to flying (if I wanted to continue) or just
do it whenever. I guess in the case of the latter I would save myself a
lot of time studying if I didn't like it.

Any thoughts on either approach? For the CFIs in the NG, based on your
experience giving intro flights do people usually like it more than hate
it? Thanks.

--
Mike
Old January 1st 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Thanks for the feedback. Right now my purpose is to just experience a taste of flying to see if it's something I would continue pursing (I have already been studying quite a bit on the subject).

So, the big question on my mind right now is if I should wait until I would have time to dedicate to flying (if I wanted to continue) or just do it whenever. I guess in the case of the latter I would save myself a lot of time studying if I didn't like it.

Do it now.

If you like it and decide you want to pursue it as far as your license,
then save up your money and set aside some time, and when you are ready,
go for the whole bean bag.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.