Yet another reason to Hate AOL

Old July 2nd 04, 07:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Yet another reason to Hate AOL

It seems AOL has initiated some sort of an anti-Spam blocker that no longer
accepts group emails.

Of course, the unintended downside is that AOL users in our "Friends of Iowa
City Airport" mailing list can no longer receive email updates -- unless I'm
willing and able to send each of them their own, individual copy of the
update.

I understand being upset with spam, but this is kinda like using a hatchet
to kill the mosquito on your arm...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 2nd 04, 07:21 PM
Jay Honeck

I understand being upset with spam, but this is kinda like using a hatchet
to kill the mosquito on your arm...

Actually, I just tried sending several AOL users email -- and THEY bounced
back.

Is AOL having a system-wide problem today? Or are they not accepting
emails from my ISP (Mediacom)?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 2nd 04, 07:24 PM
Rosspilot

It seems AOL has initiated some sort of an anti-Spam blocker that no longer
accepts group emails.

Nonsense.

I am using AOL 9.0 Optimized for Broadband, and I get all your airport
correspondence, including one only about a half hour ago.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 2nd 04, 07:33 PM
Peter Gottlieb

I am president of a local Realtor's group and we had the same problems.

First we got blocked as spam because we sent "bulk mail" to 23 addresses.
Then we tried individually but found out we are now "blacklisted as a known
sender of spam."

The best advice I give to people is to get rid of AOL. I know that won't
work in your case though.

They are using the wrong definition of spam, they do not understand the
difference between solicited and unsolicited.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:37 PM
Jay Honeck

I am using AOL 9.0 Optimized for Broadband, and I get all your airport
correspondence, including one only about a half hour ago.

You got it, Lee? Wow, that's weird.

It bounced back to me as if you never got it, saying that it had "delivery
problems"! Did you get the second one I sent, too?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
John T

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

The best advice I give to people is to get rid of AOL.

There's a reason it's known as "AOHell".

Or is that the insider's view...?

They are using the wrong definition of spam, they do not understand
the difference between solicited and unsolicited.

I think they do know the difference. The problem is writing software that
can tell the difference.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 2nd 04, 07:52 PM
Ditch

Nonsense.

Not entirely,

I am using AOL 9.0 Optimized for Broadband

So am I. I didn't even know about the spam blocking crap until a few emails I
was exepcting never came and then I went investigating.

But, it appears to be an easy fix as you can set it up so that everything comes
thru.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old July 2nd 04, 08:08 PM
Edward Todd

In article ,
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote:

I am president of a local Realtor's group and we had the same problems.

First we got blocked as spam because we sent "bulk mail" to 23 addresses.
Then we tried individually but found out we are now "blacklisted as a known
sender of spam."

Have you tried putting all the email addresses in the "BCC" field where
they are invisible instaed of the To or CC fields. This is the biggest
mistake so many people make when sending out multiple receivers. Never
put a string of email addresses in the To or CC fields, whether for a
mailing list, or just to send to family. Always use BCC. Spammers use
siffer software that can pull these addresses and hey pas through a
server. BCC really helps this.

Edward
Old July 2nd 04, 08:08 PM
Rosspilot

I am using AOL 9.0 Optimized for Broadband, and I get all your airport
correspondence, including one only about a half hour ago.

You got it, Lee? Wow, that's weird.

It bounced back to me as if you never got it, saying that it had "delivery
problems"! Did you get the second one I sent, too?
--

I got one titled "Carl Williams-Airport Commissioner".

That's the only one. And I checked my spam filter and there's nothing in there
from you.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 2nd 04, 08:17 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Edward Todd" wrote in message

Have you tried putting all the email addresses in the "BCC" field where
they are invisible instaed of the To or CC fields.

Yes, of course. AOL seemed to pick up several coming in that way over
several mailings.