A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Apis M Owners

Old August 21st 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Sanches
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

Hello, my name is Frank and I recently bought an Apis M 15m 2005 with 300tt hours and 40 engine hours. The glider is very new.

Does someone has any tips to give me about this glider, and if it's easy or some particular thing in flight? I just flew gliders, this is my first motorglider.

Thanks everyone, good flights for all.
Old August 21st 20, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

Is it painted or gel-coated?

Old August 21st 20, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Sanches
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

Em sexta-feira, 21 de agosto de 2020 Ã*s 15:55:00 UTC-3, son_of_flubber escreveu:
Is it painted or gel-coated?

Gel-coated, will need to repaint, but I will fly this season and repaint in next year. Gel-coat it's not very well. I bought it from South Africa. I'm from Brazil.
Old August 21st 20, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 4:42:33 PM UTC-4, Frank Sanches wrote:
Gel-coated, will need to repaint, but I will fly this season and repaint in next year. Gel-coat it's not very well. I bought it from South Africa. I'm from Brazil.

A friend of mine has an Apis M of similar vintage/hours at 10 degrees higher latitude and it likewise had gel-coat rot. He thought that the rot was premature.

Old August 22nd 20, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Sanches BR
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

Em sexta-feira, 21 de agosto de 2020 Ã*s 17:57:53 UTC-3, son_of_flubber escreveu:
On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 4:42:33 PM UTC-4, Frank Sanches wrote:

A friend of mine has an Apis M of similar vintage/hours at 10 degrees higher latitude and it likewise had gel-coat rot. He thought that the rot was premature.

Do you know if he painted in PU or is still in gel-coat?
Old August 23rd 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

Do you know if he painted in PU or is still in gel-coat?

It is still in the process of refinishing with Urethane paint. Should be done soon. It's taking a long time!
The person doing the refinishing told me that many sailplanes made in Europe and eastern Europe in the period around 2000 to 2006 did not have UV protection in the gel coat due to some substance being banned because of environmental laws. He said he has refinished many from this period.
Old August 23rd 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

Default Apis M Owners

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 2:23:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello, my name is Frank and I recently bought an Apis M 15m 2005 with 300tt hours and 40 engine hours. The glider is very new.

Does someone has any tips to give me about this glider, and if it's easy or some particular thing in flight? I just flew gliders, this is my first motorglider.

Thanks everyone, good flights for all.

Frank, the glider is easy to fly and has no bad habits as far as I can tell.. I have 300 hours on it. The self-launch is easy. Taxi to the launch point and run through your check list. Be sure your spoilers are closed and locked or you will not be able to climb normally. Normal is about 500 fpm. Hold the stick full back (to prevent the nose from hitting the ground) and give it full throttle. When you reach about 15 knots move the stick forward to about center and let the tail come off the ground. Keep it balanced on the main wheel and it will take off soon when it is ready. Keep the speed at 49 knots during climb out.