new SSA web site

Old April 9th 21, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default new SSA web site

On 4/8/21 11:05 PM, wrote:

Just got an email reply from SSA. They said to hover over the Racing tab and the Tracker should appear. Well when I use Chrome the sub-menu does not appear. When I use Explorer the sub-menu does appear but crashes when I click on Tracker and I get a message that it is not supported and to use Chrome. WTF!
Dan

Tried again and SUCCESS. The sailplane tracker DOES work using Firefox as the browser. No need to log into SSA as a member. Does NOT work in Chrome or Explorer.

The SSA tracker is just a 'friendly' front end on top of glideport.aero,
which adds some branding. I've always had better luck going directly to
the source.
Old April 9th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 4/9/2021 10:31 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 4/8/21 11:05 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 6:29:16 PM UTC-7,
wrote:

Just got an email reply from SSA. They said to hover over the Racing
tab and the Tracker should appear. Well when I use Chrome the
sub-menu does not appear. When I use Explorer the sub-menu does
appear but crashes when I click on Tracker and I get a message that
it is not supported and to use Chrome. WTF!
Dan

Tried again and SUCCESS.Â* The sailplane tracker DOES work using
Firefox as the browser.Â* No need to log into SSA as a member.Â* Does
NOT work in Chrome or Explorer.

The SSA tracker is just a 'friendly' front end on top of glideport.aero,
which adds some branding.Â* I've always had better luck going directly to
the source.

Funny though, the two ways to look at the same tracking show things with
different units. Glideport shows elevations in meters, and the SSA
overlay shows it in feet. Clearly the underlying tech allows choice of
units - does anybody know how to do it from the user interface?

Old April 9th 21, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

A small number of people put a lot of effort into the soaring community to benefit all of us. Sure John has some good points, but the site looks much better and will only get a bit better as the rough edges are worked out.
I would like to thank all who worked on this site and suggest that there are a number of new "volunteers" whom have posted their ideas, criticism and outright damnation. Please contact the SSA office with your donation of time or money to bring the site up to your particular needs. Ask yourself "what would Tom Brady do?", complain or act?

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 7:04:54 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I received the new web site announcement email from the SSA on April 1 saying that in the next 24 hours I would get a link to reset my password. It is now April 7 and nothing thus far (yep, I checked spam). Reading above it seems others have received the link. Am I the only one left in the cold? Out of curiosity I clicked on the Login button (upper right) and all I see is the "Not a member, want to join?" message.

- Yes, the rollout should have been done in the fall, not in the spring, so as not to impact the heart of the soaring season.
- Yes, the first "public" incarnation should have been via an alternate URL.
- Yes, the denizens of RAS should have collectively been asked to test and make comments.
- Yes, the password should not need to be 12 digits long. This is not a bank or the NSA. It's ok to require a special character, upper case, number, etc.
- Yes, impacting low speed access users is bad. Every event I have been to has low speed internet.
- Yes, needing two logins is strange. Must be a two phased rollout.
- Yes, captcha is an annoyance. Hopefully, a cookie is set to remember that I am one of the good guys.
- Yes, not being able to click "Remember me" at login is bad.

My $0.02.

- John (OHM)

Old April 9th 21, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

wrote:

Just got an email reply from SSA. They said to hover over the Racing
tab and the Tracker should appear. Well when I use Chrome the
sub-menu does not appear. When I use Explorer the sub-menu does
appear but crashes when I click on Tracker and I get a message that
it is not supported and to use Chrome. WTF!
Dan
Tried again and SUCCESS.Â* The sailplane tracker DOES work using
Firefox as the browser.Â* No need to log into SSA as a member.Â* Does
NOT work in Chrome or Explorer.

The SSA tracker is just a 'friendly' front end on top of
glideport.aero, which adds some branding.Â* I've always had better luck
going directly to the source.

Funny though, the two ways to look at the same tracking show things with
different units.Â* Glideport shows elevations in meters, and the SSA
overlay shows it in feet.Â* Clearly the underlying tech allows choice of
units - does anybody know how to do it from the user interface?

Settings/Preferences/Imperial.

Probably have to be logged in.
Old April 9th 21, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Any body tried Brave yet? I"m not gonna install Firefox just to track
gliders.

Dan
5J

On 4/8/21 11:05 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 3:44:07 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 15:05:51 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

I've been using the Brave browser for the past 3-4 months. I just
opened a new tab and was told that 65,786 trackers and ads have been
blocked. I still get a lot of spam; how it gets past my spam blocker, I
don't know, but I'm going to have a look at spam assassin.

What does your mail chain look like? I ask because Spamassassin is
probably not a good fit if you're just running a mail reader on a Windows
system. On the other hand, your ISP may be running Spamassassin and
filtering out obvious spam, i.e. mail from a known spammer (there are
lists of these...).

SA is designed to handle quite high mail volumes and is usually put into
the path messages follow through a mail server, something like this:

|-- mail reader
ISP --mail in--Mail server --|-- mail reader
| Y |-- mail reader
| |
| +-- spam - quarantine
| |
V ^
Spamassassin

All SA does is to inspect an email and assign it a score by applying a
set of rules to its content. The filter looks at the spam score and
conventionally says anything with a score of less than 5 is ham and
anything over 5 is spam. The filter is separate because everybody has
different ideas of what to do with spam: some bin spam, others block spam
senders, while others treat it as undeliverable mail and return it to the
sender.

My filter puts spam in quarantine for a week and sends me a daily report
of any new spam so I can look at it in case it was misclassified as spam.
In this case I can fish it out of quarantine before it gets deleted.

Other people, who are usually UNIX or Linux users simply pass everything
to their user's mailreaders. These use a program, procmail, to look at
the spam score and use that to decide whether the message is shown to the
user or binned. This is useful in a business where different folks get
different mail streams and have differing spam tolerances.

Sorry about the length of that, but mail handling can be quite complex
and its not necessary to understand much of this stuff unless you run
your own mail server - and nobody who just uses an Apple or Windows PC,
iPad or phone will be running a mail server.

I hope its useful info.
--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 9th 21, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

wrote:

Just got an email reply from SSA. They said to hover over the
Racing tab and the Tracker should appear. Well when I use Chrome
the sub-menu does not appear. When I use Explorer the sub-menu does
appear but crashes when I click on Tracker and I get a message that
it is not supported and to use Chrome. WTF!
Dan
Tried again and SUCCESS.Â* The sailplane tracker DOES work using
Firefox as the browser.Â* No need to log into SSA as a member.Â* Does
NOT work in Chrome or Explorer.

The SSA tracker is just a 'friendly' front end on top of
glideport.aero, which adds some branding.Â* I've always had better
luck going directly to the source.

Funny though, the two ways to look at the same tracking show things
with different units.Â* Glideport shows elevations in meters, and the
SSA overlay shows it in feet.Â* Clearly the underlying tech allows
choice of units - does anybody know how to do it from the user interface?

Settings/Preferences/Imperial.

Probably have to be logged in.

Logged in? What's that? I don't want to have to login every time just
to look at flight tracks. Anyway, tried now, couldn't figure out my
password. Clicked on "reset password" (this is in glideport.aero) but
the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder). I
know I put in the right email address because other addresses say "no
such user", and also I see the email address in my IGCdroid configuration.

Old April 9th 21, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

wrote:

[...]

Logged in?Â* What's that?Â* I don't want to have to login every time just
to look at flight tracks.Â* Anyway, tried now, couldn't figure out my
password.Â* Clicked on "reset password" (this is in glideport.aero) but
the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder).Â* I
know I put in the right email address because other addresses say "no
such user", and also I see the email address in my IGCdroid configuration.

Did you try turning it off and back on again :-)

My Firefox populates the login credentials, so it's just two clicks for me.
Old April 9th 21, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 11:21:58 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Any body tried Brave yet? I"m not gonna install Firefox just to track
gliders.

Been using it for a month or two. In general its good, especially its
built-in ad and tracker-blocking features, but there is one annoying
gotcha:

If you're using Brave to check the look of a new web page while you
tweak images on the page, DON'T - use Firefox instead.

This is because Brave is decidedly lazy about updating buffered images:
they only get reloaded after a delay of a minute or two. The result is
that making a quick change to an image on a page you're editing may not
show up when you refresh the page.

Apart from that I like Brave a lot. It has now become my default mail web
browser.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 10th 21, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 8:08:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
A small number of people put a lot of effort into the soaring community to benefit all of us. Sure John has some good points, but the site looks much better and will only get a bit better as the rough edges are worked out.
I would like to thank all who worked on this site and suggest that there are a number of new "volunteers" whom have posted their ideas, criticism and outright damnation. Please contact the SSA office with your donation of time or money to bring the site up to your particular needs. Ask yourself "what would Tom Brady do?", complain or act?

Jon -

1) Some of us *have* contacted the SSA, and heard nothing but crickets (remember that notices to the membership went out only *after* the site went live and many folks started contacting the SSA to ask why things changed and/or were broken).

2) Part of the frustration is that this seems like it was NOT spearheaded by a "plucky band of volunteers" who are part of the membership. I have been led to believe that an outside person was hired for this, and the project was run quietly (perhaps deliberately so) by a small number of leaders in the SSA organization without consulting the wider membership or publicly asking for a committee of qualified individuals to provide input and control.

3) The members have every right to be skeptical/critical given the lack of clarity on how this happened, why it happened, what the ultimate goal is, and what considerations were given to the launch timing, project scope, and the existing website tools.

Anyone who's been involved in technology and project management understands the serious importance of things like scope control, communications with stakeholders, and transition plans. All of these things were distinctly lacking, based on what we've seen so far.

When you fail to build buy-in or explain you goals & purpose, you set yourself up for this kind of blowback & criticism. There should be ZERO surprise about how this is playing out, based on how the project was handled! The complaints aren't simply a knee-jerk response to an updated look & feel. And they aren't criticism of some poor volunteer slaving away. They're an indictment of leadership and management - and rightly so. This doesn't mean the folks in charge of the SSA are "bad people" (I personally like many of them). But it does look like they're out of their depth and did not exercise proper control or bring in the proper expertise to manage something they themselves weren't qualified to do. And hey, its OK to not be well-versed in large-scale technology projects - but if that's the case then you need to put out a call to find someone who _is_ qualified (especially when there are several folks on the SSA membership roster that fit the bill).

--Noel

Old April 11th 21, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 10:08:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Jonathan,

Yes, "Act" is the correct answer of course. The new site is a great step forward and I hope that this brings more power pilots, or non-pilots, into the soaring game.

As an involved volunteer at my club for 20+ years I know personally about those that stand on the sidelines and harp - we call these people "pockets" (hands always in their pockets watching others keep the club going).

My thought is that I would have loved to have been involved in the beta version efforts and helped as a tester. I suspect that others in RAS-land would have also gladly made the same offer. Maybe we would have had zero suggestions after getting involved and understanding what went on behind the scenes.

My $0.02.

John (OHM)

SSA web site Roger Soaring 15 April 3rd 05 05:47 PM
EAA site down? Jay Honeck Piloting 5 March 7th 05 06:12 AM
new site for creating project log and web site Rob Home Built 2 November 23rd 04 07:21 PM
See My Site Jürgen Exner Simulators 0 January 5th 04 01:37 AM
site FBI © 2003 Aviation Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 11:47 AM