abandoned airfields in the US

Old December 4th 04, 03:26 AM

Default abandoned airfields in the US

THis is a neat list of abandoned airfields in the US.

Dave

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/index.htm

Old December 4th 04, 04:16 AM
Slip'er

I like the list.

Old December 4th 04, 02:55 PM
Jay Honeck

That's a great site.

It's funny -- as a kid I knew that Milwaukee had Nike anti-aircraft missile
batteries on the lakeshore. And as a teenager and young adult I always
attended Summerfest in Milwaukee, one of the largest music festivals in the
world.

But I had no idea that Summerfest was held on the original site of an
airport, nor did I know that the Nike missiles had been based right on the
same spot.

Talk about beating swords into plowshares. I guess that explains how the
city was able to obtain such a huge piece of prime lakefront property for
the Summerfest grounds.

Thanks for sharing that URL.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 04, 05:30 PM
Jack Allison

Very interesting site, thanks for sharing!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student, airplane partnership student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old December 5th 04, 01:56 AM
Bob Clough

Fascinating yet sad site -- like strolling thru a civil war cemetary and
reading the tomb stones. Lots of great history at that URL. Thx for
sharing.

It did make me wonder about the economics of the small GA airport these
days. You know, the one 2500' paved strip with one FBO and restaurant. Are
any new ones being created that slow the obvious depletion rate?

Bob Clough
Student Pilot

Old December 5th 04, 01:58 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Clough wrote:

It did make me wonder about the economics of the small GA airport these
days. You know, the one 2500' paved strip with one FBO and restaurant. Are
any new ones being created that slow the obvious depletion rate?

I read of one since 1989.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old December 5th 04, 06:08 AM
Slip'er

any new ones being created that slow the obvious depletion rate?

Well, we are trying to keep Oceanside Muni open for business. The city
wanted to shut us down there for a while until we convinced them that it
would be a violation of the FAA grants to do so. Unfortunately, they
settled a law suit with some anti-airport folks that included $10,000 of the
airports money, NO flight schools on the ground, NO instruction at all, NO
touch and goes, and NO taxi back and take-off practice. (Funny, the
non-aviation attorneys failed to mention stop-and-goes.) KOKB was built a
long time ago and the tie-downs are all inside the required clear zone! As
a result, the city has stopped renting tie-downs from the two closest rows.
Eventually, when they restripe the legal taxiway, I believe that they will
lose the last row of existing tie downs.

Anyway, we got the council to move ahead with building 21 new hangers
(actually replacing ones lost years ago due to 76 expansion.) Then they
took too long and we can only afford 10 of the 21! Well, hopefully, we will
have all 21 by the end of 2005.

Phase II, if we are successful will replace the old terminal building with a
new one which will also include a restaurant!! Which is a long winded way
of saying that we may have a new airport with an FBO restaurant to fly to!

Actually, if you live in SoCal, you should consider stopping in at KOKB
anyway. There is a bike/walking trail along the San Luis Rey River. You
can walk this two mile trail and end up at Oceanside Harbor with plenty of
nice restaurants and the beach...come spend the day with us. [But please
follow our noise abatement policy to be kind to our many neighbors]

I am VP of the Oceanside Airport Association. One of my goals is to
eventually raise about $3,000 in donations for the bike trail. I'd like to
get a few bike lockers and bicycles that pilots flying-in can use for free.
I think that this would be a great way to exploit our proximity to the
beach.

Cheers,
Carl

Old December 5th 04, 06:47 AM
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
THis is a neat list of abandoned airfields in the US.

Dave

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/index.htm

I like the Arizona listings.

I just flew over the Dateland airfield the other day (Southwest/Yuma
IIRC...) and it looked like you could land and take off there all day long.
It was kind of spooky to see the outline of the missing buildings, however.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
Still nowhere to go but up!

Old December 7th 04, 05:03 AM

THis is a neat list of abandoned airfields in the US.

Dave

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/index.htm

This is an interesting site and a worthy cause. I have spent
a few hours reading it - remembering vanished airports I
knew in the past, and learning about others I never knew
existed. I would encourage anyone having information to
contribute to do so - to preserve the knowledge for posterity.
I know of several former airport sites, and plan to share
this info as soon as I can take photos of what remains.
(several cases of seemingly out-of-place hangars, and one
-moved from it's original site- that is now a grocery store).
David Johnson