Heater problem fixed!

Old December 6th 04, 04:32 PM
Jim Burns

Default Heater problem fixed!

After troubleshooting the Janitrol heater in our Aztec for the past 3 weeks,
we've finally got it fixed. The problem ended up being a combination of a
bad ignitor (spark plug) and a coked fuel nozzle. One problem no doubt
causing the other problem.

After a new spark plug didn't solve our problems, we dug in further and
found that the nozzle was coked over. Cleaning it didn't help, so C&D
shipped us a new nozzle.

After verifying 7 lbs of fuel pressure going into the nozzle holder/
solenoid valve assembly, we still weren't getting a good spray pattern out
of the new nozzle. We called C&D and shipped them the new nozzle as well as
the nozzle holder / solenoid valve assembly. They replaced the nozzle with
another new nozzle and also flushed the holder / valve assembly, test
sprayed it and got full atomization.

Now our heater is putting out the heat that it's supposed to. The happiest
words I heard this weekend while flying from WI to MI and back was "Daddy,
it's too hot back here" )

Hope this may help someone else in the future.

Jim

---

Old December 6th 04, 05:49 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:32:28 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

The happiest
words I heard this weekend while flying from WI to MI and back was "Daddy,
it's too hot back here" )

Glad you got it fixed Jim!

Old December 6th 04, 07:15 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

wrote:

The happiest
words I heard this weekend while flying from WI to MI and back was "Daddy,
it's too hot back here" )

Gosh I wish I had that problem.

Old December 6th 04, 08:38 PM
Jim Burns

Createing such a problem was a long time coming and took a lot of extra
curricular late night reading pouring over the service manual and the web.
It was time well spent though, it saved us a ton of money in "hunt and peck"
investigative labor. One A&P actually told us it was working fine. Ha!

Jim

Old December 7th 04, 01:21 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:38:51 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Createing such a problem was a long time coming and took a lot of extra
curricular late night reading pouring over the service manual and the web.
It was time well spent though, it saved us a ton of money in "hunt and peck"
investigative labor. One A&P actually told us it was working fine. Ha!

Well, my "mature" Mooney has an STC'd RayJay turbonormalizer. One of the
consequences of this installation is a tiny heat muff. After years of
begging, I have finally found an FBO that says they can install a second
heat muff for me with a field approval. Although I don't think it will
give me a "too warm" problem, it may make cold weather trips bearable :-)

Old December 7th 04, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

Createing such a problem was a long time coming and took a lot of extra
curricular late night reading pouring over the service manual and the web.

Heater problems can be the worst, since there are so many variables, and
they all have such large consequences. Everything from a tiny air leak
under the back seat, to door seals, to the heat ducts, to flapper
controls -- you name it -- can screw up winter flying.

Having a Janitrol heater just adds another set of variables to the
problem -- congrats on getting it fixed. (The coldest I have EVER been was
in a C-310, flying into Rochester, MN in winter -- with an inop gas-fired
heater. I thought I was going to die.)

It took me over a year to get our old Warrior to the point where my kids
didn't need a down comforter in the back seat. (Luckily our current plane
has been air-tight and hot since Day One -- no doubt because a previous
owner went through all the rigmarole for me.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 16th 04, 09:56 PM
Denny

I just put a new heater in Fat Albert from C&D, to replace the
Southwind... Test flew it yesterday for the first time... 28F outside,
and I had to keep turning down the heat inside - halfway open on the
knob was just right... On that point I'm a happy camper...

The old heater was working but had an AD for inspection every 500 hours
(531 in the logbook since last inspection)... Pulled it and found a
tiny crack on the can, plus it had been welded before (no entry in the
logs)... Called three major shops for opinions and they were uniform
that it needed to be zero timed which would be $1800 plus my obsolete
solenoid/fuel regulator had to go, for another $650... In the end I
sprang for brand new unit with a warranty... That turned out to be
$3200 with shipping, plus a number of hours of labor to install a new
control switch and wiring... At least I have no AD's for now...
Denny and Fat Albert

Old December 16th 04, 10:55 PM
Jim Burns

That is exactly our plan if our Janitrol ever fails the pressure test. I've
already got a quote from C&D, $2400 plus our core plus shipping and install
labor on our end. C&D's price for rebuilding ours is actually higher,
$2600. I'm pretty happy with how C&D treated us on the parts. Every time I
talked to them on the phone they were willing to explain what ever needed
explaining and to only recommend the minimal parts to get our heater
operating correctly.

Jim

oups.com...

Old December 17th 04, 04:03 AM
nobody

Denny,

Is Fat Albert an Aztec by chance? If so, what year model?

I have a '64 C model Aztec with a Southwind that does not work
worth a crap. Did your old Southwind actually keep the cabin
warm? Mine seems to produce more stink and smoke than heat.

How difficult was the installaton of the new C&D unit? Any major
problems in getting the C&D installed?

Thanks,

Ronnie

oups.com...

Old December 17th 04, 06:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Is Fat Albert an Aztec by chance? If so, what year model?

It's an Apache.

You can see Denny and Fat Albert in the Rogue's Gallery here at:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...y&FatAlber.jpg
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 04:54 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 08:59 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 10:10 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Owning 77 December 3rd 03 10:10 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 06:29 PM