Bill Gates assists in funding first aviation-themed public high school

Old February 12th 04, 04:49 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Bill Gates assists in funding first aviation-themed public high school

Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
(and Outlook) on us:

AVflash Volume 10, Number 07b -- February 12, 2004

AVIATION HIGH SCHOOL TO OPEN, THANK GATES
Washington State's first aviation-themed public high school,
Aviation High School, will open its doors this fall, thank$ in
part to a gift from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The
school is expected to become "a state and national model,"
according to its organizers, thanks to its focus on high standards
for student achievement. The school's goals include sending 100
percent of its graduates on to postsecondary education, preparing
them thoroughly to be competitive in aviation careers, and
encouraging parent participation, mentoring and industry support.
The school's location has not yet been selected, but it will be in
Puget Sound's Highline School District, near Seattle-Tacoma
International Airport and Boeing Field.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#186714

Old February 12th 04, 04:49 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
(and Outlook) on us:

He's only doing it to sell more copies of MS Flight Simulator.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I find your lack of clue...disturbing" - SithAdmin Vader.

Old February 12th 04, 05:53 PM
Chuck

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
(and Outlook) on us:

snip

Larry, is Bill Gates twisting your arm to use his products ?

I bet that you have really hurt his feelings now that you have come out in
public and bad mouthed his company and products.

---

Old February 12th 04, 06:53 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:49:43 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in Message-Id: :

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
(and Outlook) on us:

He's only doing it to sell more copies of MS Flight Simulator.

Profound cynicism indeed. But it may explain why he didn't fund the
entire project.

Old February 12th 04, 09:33 PM
Cockpit Colin

I've always suggested what I believe to be the perfect solution for people
who don't like Bill, don't like Microsoft, or don't like their products ...

.... Don't use them.

In my eyes, Bill Gates is a modern day hero, not the bad guy. A CREATOR of
values, not a destroyer as seem so many in this world (not aimed at original
poster).

Old February 12th 04, 10:16 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Cockpit Colin" said:
I've always suggested what I believe to be the perfect solution for people
who don't like Bill, don't like Microsoft, or don't like their products ...

... Don't use them.

Great. Now convince the people who use my web sites not to use IE, so I
don't have to make dozens of work-arounds for the fact that millions of
people continue to use that piece of crap in spite of the fact that it's
demonstrably the worst browser on the market today. And convince the
company I work for to stop requiring certain documents in Word, a
thoroughly horrible word processor. And stop people who subcribe to my
mailing lists from using Outlook and Outlook Express, so they don't flood
my mail servers with the viruses which they inevitably get because of it.

Microsoft wouldn't be a problem if they weren't a combination of the most
evil, dishonest and illegal monopolists on the planet, AND the worst
programmers.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Only a NAZI would try to invoke Godwin's [law] deliberately"
Old February 12th 04, 10:49 PM
Andrew Gideon

Paul Tomblin wrote:

And stop people who subcribe to my
mailing lists from using Outlook and Outlook Express, so they don't flood
my mail servers with the viruses which they inevitably get because of it.

Stop people that happen to visit a web site or view a mail message with my
email address from using MSFT products. That would prevent those products
from sending out viruses forged to appear to be from me.

- Andrew

Old February 12th 04, 11:09 PM
ET

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Paul Tomblin wrote:

And stop people who subcribe to my
mailing lists from using Outlook and Outlook Express, so they don't
flood my mail servers with the viruses which they inevitably get
because of it.

Stop people that happen to visit a web site or view a mail message
with my email address from using MSFT products. That would prevent
those products from sending out viruses forged to appear to be from
me.

- Andrew

Of course we all know that if, say Netscape was used by 90%+ of all the
users out there, all the security explotes/viruses etc would be written for
those applications....

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old February 12th 04, 11:21 PM
Andrew Gideon

ET wrote:

Of course we all know that if, say Netscape was used by 90%+ of all the
users out there, all the security explotes/viruses etc would be written
for those applications....

Presuming that Netscape (or whomever) didn't break some basic principles of
software engineering (ie. shoving a widely diverse set of features into a
single monolithic component), it's a good bet that there'd be fewer bugs
and that those would be more quickly fixed.

~200 days for the fix for the ASN.1 issue? That may be a new record.

Presuming that Netscape (or whomever) didn't bundle their product with the
monopolistic OS in a way that eliminates competition, along with contracts
that discouraged OEMs from using alternative OSes, then it wouldn't be
likely that any single product would achieve 90% reach anyway.

Monocultures are good for disease, but bad for the population.

- Andrew