Leaving the community

Old November 3rd 04, 07:55 PM
David Brooks

Default Leaving the community

One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit. Most of my
flight instructors have, I know, been to the right of me politically. I had
a most enjoyable flight with CJ - although he has since earned my undying
enmity by unapologetically using the term "Final Solution" in connection
with me and people like me, an astonishing thought coming from an avowedly
religious man, but telling and apt.

But now it seems the nation has, albeit by a slim margin, re-elected a weak,
hypocritical, murderous coward. Three years ago, when some writers on the
left started talking about fascism, I thought that an absurd stretch. No
longer. The parallels are not precise - they never are - but the broad sweep
and many of the components of a new fascist state are in place. The 48% who
didn't vote for this disaster keep knocking on my consciousness, but they
are now feeble and impotent. The thugs are in charge.

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home, into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

So long. Thanks for all the conversations. You guys have made me a better
pilot.

-- David Brooks

Old November 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Mike Rapoport

If you step back you will find that not much has changed. The republicans
gained ground in a senate that they already controlled but still lack the 60
votes needed to put anything radical through. They also continue to control
the house and presidency just like yesterday. The democrats maneuvered
themselves out of the running by incorporating ideas into their platform
(gay marrige) that did not gain them a single vote but cost them many. They
fronted a candidate that came across as arogant and spoiled. They will
figure out these errors and try to correct them. In two years there will be
another election for the house and some senate seats which will preclude the
republicans from doing anything to wild.

It is unfortunate when either side controls all three levers but it has
happened before and we will get through this time too.

Mike
MU-2

Old November 3rd 04, 08:30 PM
Jim Fisher

"David Brooks" wrote in message
One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit.

Well, for those that can't mix the two, that is. There are those rare folks
that are so set in their ways that there is no possible means of even
agreeing to disagree. I feel for those kinda people.

Some folks can chew cornbread and walk at the same time. Some can dip a
wing and still fly straight. Some can pat their head and rub their tummy at
the same time. I swear - I've seen all of this done!

Most folks can even have an occasional off-topic political conversation with
cyber-friends and remain friends.

And some . . . Can't do any of those. I hate it, David, but it's your loss,
bub.

--
Jim Fisher

Old November 3rd 04, 08:32 PM
Newps

Mike Rapoport wrote:
They will
figure out these errors and try to correct them.

I doubt it. Substitute Kerry for Gore. Same result. The country just
doesn't believe the same things Kerry does. Look at the 11 states that
had gay marriage on the ballot. All 11 passed and it wasn't even close,
double digits in most states. One state not only passed that but
eliminated civil unions.
Old November 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
Fidel Perez

See ya.

Perhaps France will serve you better.

Old November 3rd 04, 08:36 PM
kontiki

Oh puhleeze.... spare us the piety. Now that "the nation has, albeit by a
slim margin, re-elected a weak, hypocritical, murderous coward" you are gonna
take your toys and go home.

Well good riddance. America was built by human beings of far stronger
character than you. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Old November 3rd 04, 08:58 PM
John Dukakis

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

"David Brooks" wrote in message

[whining snipped]

Old November 3rd 04, 09:03 PM
Jack Allison

David Brooks wrote:

One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit.

snip

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home, into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

So, politics does not fit in the cockpit. Ok, I'll buy that. So you're
upset about the election results. Ok, I'll buy that too. But...since
you "know" all of us voted for Bush, you're packing up your marbles and
going home? It took you that long to get fed up with the ton of
unnecessary political views expressed here to leave? Um...ok, see ya.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, plan-to-be-IA-Student, flying club member/co-owner wanna-be

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old November 3rd 04, 10:07 PM
C Kingsbury

"David Brooks" wrote in message

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home,

into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

Get a $&%@!ing helmet, dude.

I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, low-tax Republican living in Boston, Massachusetts
for the past ten years. Most of the people I know don't understand how an
educated, reasonable person like me could vote for "that chimp." One of my
best friends is a hardcore lesbian environmental journalist who went to
Smith, and I've worked on the staff of one of the alternative newspapers up
here. Let's just say that when I went to the Halloween party this year, all
the goths, gays, trannies, and just plain weirdos looked at me like I was
the freak. Well hey, in Cambridge, I am.

These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush." Given the choice they'd like us to
pull out of Iraq and beg the UN's forgiveness, raise taxes back to 70% on
income over $200k, tax gas at $3/gallon, ban every gun out there, and make
gay sex a part of grade-school curricula. Need I say that I think their
policies would devastate this country just as terribly as you think W's
policies will?

Still, I've managed to become and remain friends with quite a few of these
people because I realize that they're not actually bad people, just
misguided. Naturally they feel the same about me. Some of them I'm happy to
have long debates with over vast quantities of alcohol, others I only talk
about other topics with. Life goes on and is richer for the company of
people who think differently than I do.

51% of this country did not vote for fascism, they voted for George W. Bush.
There's a difference if you care to see it.

-cwk.

Leaving the community David Brooks Instrument Flight Rules 556 November 30th 04 09:08 PM
aero-domains for anybody in the aviation community secura Aviation Marketplace 1 June 26th 04 07:37 PM
Unruly Passengers SelwayKid Piloting 88 June 5th 04 08:35 AM
Report Leaving Assigned Altitude? John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 81 March 20th 04 03:34 PM
Big Kahunas Jay Honeck Piloting 360 December 20th 03 01:59 AM