USA automated panel-cutting service?

Old January 27th 21, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default USA automated panel-cutting service?

Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!

Old January 27th 21, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Levy

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 5:56:13 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!

I recently created a panel design for a Cessna using Solidworks. I've done other panels and found it important to model the instruments and components to avoid interferences as many are larger behind the panel then they are in front. We used a nearby water jet shop to make the 5052 Aluminum panel that had to be bent. Waterjet can cut shapes that are difficult to do with round cutters. You may be able to get them to cut a preformed fiberglass panel.
I have plans to make new panels for my motor glider.
Old January 27th 21, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 8:56:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!

Try Rex Mayes at Williams Soaring. I understand that they have a source.
UH
Old January 27th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:32:34 AM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 8:56:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!

Try Rex Mayes at Williams Soaring. I understand that they have a source.
UH

Ditto what Doug said, the panel on my Ventus B is quite different in the back than the front, and different from the available template as well as far as mounting instruments is concerned. It's not even symmetrical left to right. If your install has some tight tolerances you will need to consider this.

Old January 28th 21, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Waterjets work well for that, google it there's a good chance a shop
in your hometown has one.
Old January 28th 21, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Levy

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-8, joesimmers wrote:
Waterjets work well for that, google it there's a good chance a shop
in your hometown has one.

The water jet shops I've worked with use DXF files to generate their cut paths. Many CAD programs generate DXF files. I don't think the water jet shop wants to work with paper drawings or sketches.
Old January 28th 21, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

The water jet shops I've worked with use DXF files to generate their cut paths. Many CAD programs generate DXF files. I don't think the water jet shop wants to work with paper drawings or sketches.

Exactly Doug, you can either pay them to generate a .dxf file from paper sketch, or provide your own
to save cost. The labor to generate the .dxf will likely be higher than the waterjet work but both should
be very affordable.
Old January 30th 21, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 1/26/2021 8:56 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!

Geeze guys, CAD does not mean Carbon-pointed-pencil Aided Design.
Yes, I do have 3D CAD model to ensure no interferences...

Thanks Hank and JFitch for reminding me to try Rex, who sent the
reply below. Large-bed CNC router might make nicest result.

Dave,

Water jet has a delamination problem with wet layed up fiber glass
structures like the Shempp panels. (so I am told. I have no direct
experience.)

The laser does a nice job but it burns the material and leaves a charred
edge. This is fixed with a bit of touch up sanding. The thick Shempp
panels require 2-3 passes of the laser so the there is a bit of finish
work after the cut.

CNC mill does a nice job but my table does not have enough travel to cut
a panel with out repositioning the work.

Let me know if I can help.
Rex