Thoughts on SGS 1-34 wave ship?

Old March 8th 21, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Thoughts on SGS 1-34 wave ship?

Hello fellow glider pilots,
I have a question for the community, curious to hear people's thoughts. During my wave flight at KIYK in December, I experienced freezing of the controls (1996 DG303.) I suspect this is likely due to the low temperatures (-70F at 36K ft). I contacted DG and they had no information to share. Two possible causes could be thermal contraction issues or frozen grease. After looking over the ship with my A&P, it does not look feasible to regrease the mechanical circuit since almost all of the circuit is inaccessible (without cutting into the glass.) If it was thermal contraction, not sure what we could do to address this; this would also entail cutting into the glass.

So I am thinking about putting together a glider which could be used for this kind of flying and have been thinking about a SGS 1-34. A number of the older pilots out of KIYK have flown the Sierra wave in this model; the Boulder club used this model for its high altitude flying.

I am curious what you folks think of this plan? Is there a better ship to consider? Metrics I think are important to consider: known behavior at high altitudes, room for oxygen equipment, ease of access of mechanical control circuits, robustness (forces in rotor can be large), cost of glider, cost to maintain.

Given what I have read, the 1-34 seems to satisfy these criteria with the added benefit that it could be left assembled at the airfield. Terminal velocity dive brakes are an advantage for the 1-34.

Is there anything I am missing? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Keith
N303DG
Old March 8th 21, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Aluminum skin makes a very cold cockpit and condensation may be a factor. Should be possible to insulate it and also reduce radiant heat loss.
Old March 8th 21, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Palmer[_2_]

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 2:33:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Keith,

At the old Black Forest Gliderport, we had several 1-34s and liked them. Your feet get very cold - not only is the ship aluminum but they are in shadow (unlike the DG!). No worries about gelcoat. Good speeds and terminal dive brakes. We had installed frost shields to help mitigate the condensation build up on the canopy. They are a good ship and myself and a couple of others are considering one for a wave ship.

Mark Palmer
Greenwood Village, CO
Old March 8th 21, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 3/8/2021 1:33 PM:
[...]

I'm surprised the big problem is the glider controls at -70F. How did the pilot avoid freezing
at those temperatures?

I'm assuming you'd keep the DG303 for thermal soaring. What are your wave flying goals? If it's
altitude, the performance of the 1-34 is likely adequate; if it's distance, it's likely not
adequate, and you'd be better off staying lower in better performing glider.

Old March 9th 21, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 4:33:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I think that would be a very good choice, Paul Bickle did it in a SGS 123
Old March 9th 21, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Ward[_2_]

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 1:33:30 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Hello fellow glider pilots,

[...]

BASA had N7632 sn 12 for many years, took it to wave camp at Minden every wave season. I thought the best feature for wave soaring was the dive brakes. You could deploy them at nearly any velocity and point the nose down. Strong ship. That glider is in Prescott, AZ now, I believe.
Old March 9th 21, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

BASA had N7632 sn 12 for many years, took it to wave camp at Minden every wave season. I thought the best feature for wave soaring was the dive brakes. You could deploy them at nearly any velocity and point the nose down. Strong ship. That glider is in Prescott, AZ now, I believe.

Had no Idea that glider was still flying, that was my first glider, I bought with a partnership, about 1969, Had a lot of fun with it including my goal diamond and all of my gold badge flights.

gkemp "KT" (at that time)
Old March 9th 21, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Hook up a hose from the round vent so you can clear the windshield with a well directed blast of fresh air. I had an A14 regulator. This is going to sound strange, but I ran a hose from the mask to the turtle deck to divert my exhales. Problem solved.