NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 4th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

As of today, the FAA has imposed a dress code on their employees,
requiring that they (*gasp!*) NOT where flip-flops and cut-offs to
work! Amazingly, believe it or not, these employees are now actually
going to be required to wear (*Oh-mi-God*) DRESS PANTS and a DRESS
SHIRT to work!

In the face of this terrible affront, the controller's union, NATCA,
has decided to do the following, quoted from AvWeb:
************************************************** ***********************************************
What's A Union To Do?
While the battle inside the towers and centers may (to outsiders) have
its whimsical side, the practical impact of the new regime could be
significant. NATCA appears determined to fight each and every violation
of the new rules cited by management. In a memo to controllers at a
major center (we do know which one), union leaders are urging members
to exercise their rights to the letter. "If a supervisor tries to talk
with you regarding the way your are dressed, it constitutes a formal
meeting," the memo reads. "Stop the conversation immediately and ask
for a union representative. The same approach should be used on any
other changes in your working conditions, ask for a rep immediately.
The Agency has a legal obligation to comply." But the memo also says
the overall battle won't be won by individual members discussing their
fashion challenges. "One person alone can not change the course the
agency has decided to take," the memo says. "However, collectively we
can unpave their course and start a new road. I and the rest of your
elected leaders will need your help now more than ever."
************************************************** ***********************************************
Unbelievable! They're actually going to fight against their employer
for dictating what they must wear to work... Apparently their right to
look like bums in a professional setting has been violated, and the
union is going on the offensive!

Whenever we sit and wonder why the Bush Administration has been pushing
ATC privatization so hard, all we must do is read articles like this
one. Imagine -- these folks are up in arms because they have to wear a
dress shirt to work! Can you imagine what must go on in those towers
when a supervisor actually needs something of substance accomplished?

The next time the union sends me one of their whiny spam-mails, asking
for help in the fight against privatization, I'm going to send them
this post. These so-called "civil servants" have done themselves (and
us) a terrible disservice by choosing this ridiculous issue to fight
about, and they have only increased the probability that we will see
ATC privatization.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 4th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[snip]
These so-called "civil servants" have done themselves (and
us) a terrible disservice by choosing this ridiculous issue to fight
about, and they have only increased the probability that we will see
ATC privatization.

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's attire
matter even a little?

Jay, you did label it correctly. It IS a ridiculous issue.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 4th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Javier[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
As of today, the FAA has imposed a dress code on their employees,
requiring that they (*gasp!*) NOT where flip-flops and cut-offs to
work! Amazingly, believe it or not, these employees are now actually
going to be required to wear (*Oh-mi-God*) DRESS PANTS and a DRESS
SHIRT to work!

That's a really dumb requirement on the FAA's part.

[...]

Looking like bums in a professional setting is entirely appropriate
sometimes. Seriously... they're sitting far away, in a dark room,
staring at screens and talking on the radio. What do I, Mr Customer,
care about the way they're dressed? As long as I don't get vectored into
a mountain, I'm fine.

Jay, if you haven't visited a TRACON, please line up a visit, talk to
the fine folks, watch them do their job, then tell me why requiring them
to dress up is a good idea.

-jav
Old September 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Jay, if you haven't visited a TRACON, please line up a visit, talk to
the fine folks, watch them do their job, then tell me why requiring them
to dress up is a good idea.

The fact that tours can be arranged argues for them to not look like
bums.

But, in truth, it's not an issue of whether dressing up (or down) is a
good idea -- it's the fact that the union seems to think they have the
right to dress however they please. If an employer can't even set a
dress code without inciting a union grievance, what does that say about
the attitude of their employees?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 4th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Bob Noel schrieb:

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's attire
matter even a little?

And even *if* they had interaction with the public: Who cares how they
are dressed? If they wish to work in a bathsuit and their hair coloured
green and blue, so be it, as long as they are doing their job well.

The only thing that is ridiculous in that story is that people are not
free to dress as they wish. So much for the land of the free.

Stefan
Old September 4th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's attire
matter even a little?

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period. What does it say when
we require the kids to be in uniform, but the controllers are wearing
flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

And, yes, looking professional translates into a professional working
atmosphere, as has been proven by many studies over the years.

But that begs the issue: Since when can't an employer set a dress
code? To coin an old phrase, sounds like we've got too many chiefs,
and not enough indians...and NATCA has just set themselves up for a
huge fall.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 4th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Jay Honeck schrieb:

But, in truth, it's not an issue of whether dressing up (or down) is a
good idea -- it's the fact that the union seems to think they have the
right to dress however they please.

I think that, too.

If an employer can't even set a
dress code without inciting a union grievance, what does that say about
the attitude of their employees?

I wouldn't allow my empoyer to dictate how I have to dress, either.

Stefan
Old September 4th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Jay Honeck schrieb:

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period.

You have a pretty narrow view of what a "professioal look" means.

What does it say when we require the kids to be in uniform, but the
controllers are wearing flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

Maybe it says that requireing kids to wear uniforms is ridiculous, too.

Stefan
Old September 4th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I am with Jay on this one, Years ago unions were a good thing to keep
miners from getting killed in the workplace. Now the unions motive is
to perpetuate their existance by working up supposable smart humans
over something that should be a No brainer. If I remember right the
adverage salary for a ATC worker this year was 72,500, with some raking
in 171,300. For that pay they shouldn't even contest not being able to
wear flip flops to work. What other profession can dress like that and
earn that kind of cash, well other then Jimmy Buffet.????

Old September 4th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

:
: The fact that tours can be arranged argues for them to not look like
: bums.
:

These guys are not dressed like bums. Since when is shorts and flip flops dressing like a bum? Maybe a surfer dude...