Another Addition to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!

Old January 24th 04, 05:40 PM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:02:41 GMT, "Cy Galley"
wrote:

The part that bothers me the most is NO ONE complained about the multitude
of messages when Jay compiled the museum list with his signature on the
bottom of each. But publish member's pictures and bitter complaints just
poured in. The shear number of the mean spirited comments was overwhelming
and dis-heartening for this caring for flyers program.

I thought we had a band of brothers all supporting and sharing our love of
the skies. How else can we get into the skies except with our planes? I was
surprised by the original instigator that told me at Oshkosh that he ignored
any thread after about 4 messages as it was then it went off topic. Yet the
discussion has gone over 100 messages.

No one complains about the excessive XXXZoomerXXX messages which should have
been dropped by BOTH sides many years ago. They make good reading but do
little to promote aviation.

How about NOTHING to promote aviation?

Is there a bunch of RAHer's than are jealous that some members do more than
just fly? That they have a way to support their passion?

Yep. Green with jealousy Cy. Your comments are right on line. What
your mistake is that you assumed a "band of brothers" here. Far from
it. More like a "band of backstabbers." They have nothing else to
talk about because the average poster here is not building, they are
not flying, they are not experimenting, they don't even know how to
build anything. In fact, most of them don't even know how to FLY!

I'll bet we could take a poll here (if it could be done honestly) and
you'd find that 1% are professional pilots, 5% fly regularly and maybe
another 5% are students or have taken a lesson at some time. The rest
are just hanger's oners, wantabes. Now, that ain't all bad. There
are some good folks who read this stuff who just are facinated by
airplanes. But, understand what you are dealing with.

BWB

Old January 24th 04, 06:26 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Although I understand the enthusiasm, "were it me" and it's not, I'd
just make a weekly announcement of updates. Besides, it's less
work:-)).

Thanks for the support, Roger. I was truly taken aback by the ferocity of
the opposition to the Rogue's Gallery announcements.

My problem is that my days are incredibly disjointed, yet filled to
over-flowing. As a result, I'll spend an hour adding someone's pix to the
gallery -- in 5 minute increments, spread over half a day. For me to
actually remember doing this a week or a month later is difficult. Then

for
me to then remember to post an update HERE a week or a month later is

almost
impossible to imagine.

This was the reason for the frequent updates -- I simply didn't want to
forget someone's addition.

Now, true, I can do like Sydney (and others) have suggested, and paste the
person's name, etc., into a text file, for future updates. But that just
adds one more level of complexity I really don't need to an endeavor that
nets me nothing but ever-diminishing personal satisfaction.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

NEVER, EVER stress out someone who does things voluntarily and out of a
great sense of benevolence.

Jay, you're a great example, come to life, of the "Little Red Hen" of the
children's story. Don't let the rabble sway you.

Old January 24th 04, 06:27 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Cy Galley" wrote in message
The part that bothers me the most is NO ONE complained about the multitude
of messages when Jay compiled the museum list with his signature on the
bottom of each. But publish member's pictures and bitter complaints just
poured in. The shear number of the mean spirited comments was overwhelming
and dis-heartening for this caring for flyers program.

I thought we had a band of brothers all supporting and sharing our love

of
the skies. How else can we get into the skies except with our planes? I

was
surprised by the original instigator that told me at Oshkosh that he

ignored
any thread after about 4 messages as it was then it went off topic. Yet

the
discussion has gone over 100 messages.

We also have a lot of ENVY within the "group".

Old January 24th 04, 08:14 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

Although I understand the enthusiasm, "were it me" and it's not, I'd
just make a weekly announcement of updates. Besides, it's less
work:-)).

Thanks for the support, Roger. I was truly taken aback by the ferocity of
the opposition to the Rogue's Gallery announcements.

Screw 'em. Half the fun is watching them foam at the mouth. You should
reply to them with an update.

Old January 24th 04, 10:50 PM
Badwater Bill

NEVER, EVER stress out someone who does things voluntarily and out of a
great sense of benevolence.

That's very well put. Nice comment. Jay does a fine job. He can
post it here ten times a day if he's got the energy to do it. Why not.

BWB

Old January 25th 04, 12:13 AM
VideoGuy

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message

I'll bet we could take a poll here (if it could be done honestly) and
you'd find that 1% are professional pilots, 5% fly regularly and maybe
another 5% are students or have taken a lesson at some time. The rest
are just hanger's oners, wantabes. Now, that ain't all bad. There
are some good folks who read this stuff who just are facinated by
airplanes. But, understand what you are dealing with.

BWB

Am we to conclude from your above snipped comments that you feel those who
are not building, or owning or piloting really shouldn't be here?

You say, "The rest are just hanger's oners, wantabes. Now, that ain't all
bad.."

What part IS bad about those of us, who for whatever reason, have yet to
achieve our goals of building, or owning, or piloting still reading and
posting a question or comment? Is this group so exclusive that the
uninitiated are unwelcome?

In my case, I've waited 35 years to be in a position to start my lessons.
This fact has not diminished my interest in aviation related NGs. Should
all of us "wantabes" feel obligated to remain on the outside? Maybe you'd
prefer a NG with certificate numbers as the requirement to log in!

If I sound somewhat offended by your remarks, you are reading me correctly.

Gary (thinking of starting the rec.aviation.wantabe group) Kasten

Old January 25th 04, 12:33 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:13:48 -0600, "VideoGuy" gkasten at brick dot
net wrote:

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I offend everybody, not just you. Don't feel unique. I don't express
myself well as I get older. I have little time for novices in any
field where I've spent a lifetime becoming an expert. But, that's
just me. I'm not saying that I'm right. I just have a zero
tolerances level for people who don't know how to fly, don't know how
to build, don't know what they want.

But then I was always lucky. I started flying in 1957 because I knew
I was destined to do so. I knew I wanted to be a physicist when I was
in the 7th grade. In the Universities I never could understand why
there were people running around wasting lots of mommy and daddy's
money who knew nothing about what they wanted to become or what they
wanted out of life. It was alien to me.

As a young CFI 35 years ago I enjoyed teaching people what an aileron
is and what it does. I just got tired somewhere along the way with
the people who wouldn't try to put forth their best efforts on their
own to learn and become the best that they could be.

I don't accept your excuse for waiting 35 years to do something you
wanted to do all of your life. I feel sorry for you. I feel that you
have been a lost soul for some reason. I would have killed to fly. I
had no choice. I had no choice in becoming a nuclear physicist
either. I was born knowing how to factor a quadratic equation.

So, I was luckier than most, I'm sorry. I guess it was always easier
for me since I knew EXACTLY what I wanted out of life. To this day I
have no time because I want so much, and I'm getting old. Now that
****es me off. But, I oil paint each day. I fly my helicopter, I fly
my airplanes, I fly my RC airplanes and helicopters as much as I can.
I fly my Snobird gyroplane. I go snow skiing as much as I can. I
have a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11 that goes 200 mph and a new 2004 Corvette
that I drive like I just stole them...dirtbikes, ATV's a
snowmobiles... The list makes me nauseous. I can't possibly even get
to it all.

There is no rest for the unholy.

I don't even have time to come in here and post much anymore which I
like to do just to torque off all the anonymous cowards.

But I am burned out on telling people what an aileron is and how it
works. I've done that a lot in my life. Maybe the old coots like me
should forever leave this ng and let you people who don't fly and
don't build have it. Then you won't be insulted when we cringe when a
mature adult askes a question that we first answered in the 1950's.

BWB

Old January 25th 04, 01:06 AM
VideoGuy

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message
But I am burned out on telling people what an aileron is and how it
works. I've done that a lot in my life. Maybe the old coots like me
should forever leave this ng and let you people who don't fly and
don't build have it. Then you won't be insulted when we cringe when a
mature adult askes a question that we first answered in the 1950's.

BWB

Bob,

Maybe you wouldn't be so tired of the same old questions if you if you
viewed them as questions from NEW people eager to learn, regardless of their
"status". For whatever reasons, ( I suspect mostly monetary) many people
have needed to defer realization of a dream. We don't ask for your pity.

As far as leaving the newsgroup goes... Well, I guess if your attitude has
deteriorated to the point that you feel you have nothing worth adding, then
maybe you have the right idea. Personally, I'd hate to think that anyone
who has as much experience in aviation as you would ever be at a point where
they would have nothing worth adding. But obviously, you would have to be
the judge on that.

Gary (still waiting- but sneaking up on the goal) Kasten

Old January 25th 04, 01:46 AM
Jerry Springer

VideoGuy wrote:

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message

But I am burned out on telling people what an aileron is and how it
works. I've done that a lot in my life. Maybe the old coots like me
should forever leave this ng and let you people who don't fly and
don't build have it. Then you won't be insulted when we cringe when a
mature adult askes a question that we first answered in the 1950's.

BWB

Think maybe Badwater "Bill" might give a clue as to what his name is? :-)

Old January 25th 04, 02:15 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jerry Springer wrote:

Think maybe Badwater "Bill" might give a clue as to what his name is? :-)

He's been known by that nickname on and off the net for at least ten years. It
might as well *be* his born name.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."