Brave Sir Robin

Old June 3rd 13, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliderphud

Default Brave Sir Robin

Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot
He was not afraid to die
Oh Brave Sir Robin
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways
Brave, Brave, Brave Brave Sir Robin.

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken
To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, Brave Sir Robin.

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned up
And his penis...(made to stop by Robin)

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away.
When danger rears its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
He left his trusty steed, Ventus, on a mountain.
Yes Brave Sir Robin turned about
He gallantly chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat.
Oh bravest of the brave, Sir Robin.

Old June 3rd 13, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 3, 2013 9:29:04 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Huh?

Based on the line "He left his trusty steed, Ventus, on a mountain", I would guess he was talking about http://soaringcafe.com/2013/06/the-e...e-road-for-ta/
Old June 3rd 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

While this first post is pretty mean-spirited, I have been shocked that no one has been talking about this. A very widely known glider pilot crashes at the top of a mountain and walks away is very big news indeed. Why the radio silence?

With his posting on soaring cafe I don't believe it is too soon to start talking about it now...he lived!!! I am thrilled to hear Frank is ok. When I heard from a friend down at the event about it right after it happened and then knowing that Frank was still up on the mountain - I actually got a little emotional thinking a fellow pilot was possibly in harm's way.

There is a lot to be learned by this incident and look forward to getting more info to hopefully help the rest of us be safer flying around rocks. Glad you are ok Frank.

Bruno - B4
Old June 3rd 13, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 3 June 2013 09:49:47 UTC-6, wrote:
While this first post is pretty mean-spirited, I have been shocked that no one has been talking about this. A very widely known glider pilot crashes at the top of a mountain and walks away is very big news indeed. Why the radio silence?

With his posting on soaring cafe I don't believe it is too soon to start talking about it now...he lived!!! I am thrilled to hear Frank is ok. When I heard from a friend down at the event about it right after it happened and then knowing that Frank was still up on the mountain - I actually got a little emotional thinking a fellow pilot was possibly in harm's way.

There is a lot to be learned by this incident and look forward to getting more info to hopefully help the rest of us be safer flying around rocks. Glad you are ok Frank.

Bruno - B4

Bruno, with all due respect there is nothing that can discussed at this point on this forum.

There are only a few, maybe only one, people that has the facts so any discussion on this forum is pure speculation.

It appears that the SPOT trace is no longer there, may have it set to only keep 24 hours worth of data.

It is up to the PIC to report and file appropriate reports to the appropriate authorities. I can find no NTSB or FAA entries online.

I would not expect the contest organizers to weigh in here or on the SSA site, it is not their responsibility.

Yes it is great hear that Frank survived but lets wait for details and not speculate.

Ron Gleason

Old June 3rd 13, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 3, 2013 11:49:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
While this first post is pretty mean-spirited, I have been shocked that no one has been talking about this. A very widely known glider pilot crashes at the top of a mountain and walks away is very big news indeed. Why the radio silence?

With his posting on soaring cafe I don't believe it is too soon to start talking about it now...he lived!!! I am thrilled to hear Frank is ok. When I heard from a friend down at the event about it right after it happened and then knowing that Frank was still up on the mountain - I actually got a little emotional thinking a fellow pilot was possibly in harm's way.

There is a lot to be learned by this incident and look forward to getting more info to hopefully help the rest of us be safer flying around rocks. Glad you are ok Frank.

Bruno - B4

i too think the original post was in EXTREMELY poor taste, and am releaved that frank is ok. i myself was worried about the guy i have always consider to be friendly, nice, and willing to help.

if frank is wiling to write about the events, he is free to do so, but in the meantime, i think we should all simply say thank god he wasn't hurt and leave the discussion at that.
Old June 3rd 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, June 3, 2013 10:15:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Yep in bad taste, immature and just stupid.

The only thing that matters right now is that Frank is OK.

Darryl
Old June 3rd 13, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There has been a series of excellent pilots running in to mountains in US contest soaring over the last 10 years. Anyone who takes this lightly or disparagingly in an I'm-such-a-great-pilot I-would-never-do-that sort of way is asking to be next.

Best wishes to Frank the friend for a speedy recovery, to Frank the writer for an illuminating soaring cafe' post to help keep the rest of us out of trouble, and to Frank the pilot for a return to the skies.

John Cochrane