Marske Pioneer on Tow Video

Old July 17th 03, 01:27 PM
Marske Flying Wings

Default Marske Pioneer on Tow Video

I have posted a mpeg Video of the Marske Pioneer on tow from the cockpit on
the Pioneer page. The link below is direct ot the Pioneer Web page.

http://www.continuo.com/marske/pione...%20pioneer.htm

--
Marske Flying Wings
http://www.continuo.com/marske

Old July 18th 03, 07:18 AM
tango4

I'm a little concerned about the tow commentary on the site.

At one point it states 'As with tailed gliders if the tow plane goes up
immediately use up elevator to anticipate the lift or sink'. Is IMO
completely wrong and could be dangerous. If you do this in significant lift
you could be asking for trouble. Yes there is a point at which you must
begin to correct for an 'apparent' high tug position but you must be
carefull to not make the situation develop into a 'tug serious low
situation' as it flies out the other side of the thermal and you are still
trying to pull up.

The secret to simple aerotowing is not in madly waving the stick about, its
more in small, effective and fluid control.

Ian

Old July 18th 03, 07:50 AM
iPilot

Well. Same thoughts here. Moreover. I've been taught that if thermal lifts towplane, it lifts you
too. So just wait and correct after you pass through the same thermal unless the height difference
of initial lift is too big. It has to be kept in mind that gaining height behind towplane is much
easier than losing it.

Regards,
Kaido

Old July 18th 03, 04:40 PM
Marske Flying Wings

My point was that the tow seems entirely normal. And in that respect when I
see the tow plane move up on my canopy I also go up, Perhaps not to the full
extent but this does solve a problem in very turbulent thermals where the
tow plane goes up and in the process looses airspeed leaving me at a low
poition and at low airspeed. A really good towpilot will keep a constant
speed fairly well. I can always pull the spoilers to descend or side slip to
take up slack if I am high.

Most tow pilots feel that the climb is so steep with the Pioneer on tow that
they haveto add flaps so they can see out over the nose.

Incidently I tow between 65 and 70 mph.... but I avoid a lot of difficulties
in a position where the tow planes wings are on the horizon.

hope this helps -mat

Old July 18th 03, 06:36 PM
Jim

This is probably a bit off-topic, but in my very low-time gliding I
have been towed by pilots who tried to keep a constant airspeed and
by those who tried to keep a constant attitude -- consistent with safe
airspeed of course.

It has seemed much easier for me to fly behind a tug that was keeping
a fairly constant attitude than behind one trying to keep a fairly
constant airspeed - thereby flying up and down as the task of keeping
the airspeed required.