the scammers are kicking into high gear

Old July 27th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

Default the scammers are kicking into high gear

recently I've been getting several emails from scammers and questions from
sellers as to if these are legit or not...they are NOT....beware!
typical email scams like below usually have especially bad grammar and
spelling, but this isn't enough to identify the scammers, een they have
spell checkers and grammar checkers on their PC's
Warning beware of scams!
If you receive an email similar to this example it is a scam!
"Hello,I Am interested in buying your advertised ads for sale {JANTAR GFK
SAILPLANE} that been posted on the ad 2004 i am a seller that buy items and
resell so want to buy your JANTAR SAILPLANE. I will like to know the actual
price you want to offer it for sale and the present condition and the pics
of it.and mode of my payment will be a cheque drawn from an UK bank. Note
that the shipping will be handle by my shipper that will come to you house
for that pickup, if this is okay by you i want you to get back to me with
your full name, your full contact address and your full phone number. best
regards Smith."
or another example or typical scam emails :
Hello, My name is John Whittaker.
I saw your add on the website:www.wingsandwheels.com, but you just have to
tell me your last asking price, because My client is very interested in
buying it for a special project. Get back to me with your last asking price
as soon as possible. I am waiting for your reply.
Regards John Whittaker

Don't fall for these...they seem to be in high gear again..

Tim (not a scammer) even though I don't alweys speel chek

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

Old July 27th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hellman

Tim,

Thanks for warning people. While some are really easy to spot, others
are getting a bit more sophisticated. The big tipoff seems to be their
wanting to pay by cashier's check instead of a wire transfer. Another
is that they seem interested in buying before they know enough details
to make that kind of decision.

I've gotten close to 10 of these since my Stemme's been up for sale.

Martin
Old July 27th 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_3_]

Not sure how you in America have been targeted for this scam. It is known
over here in the UK as a "419 scam".

Plenty of information by searching on that phrase.

Dave

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

Old July 27th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KO[_2_]

On Jul 27, 3:00*am, Dave Martin wrote:
[...]

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com- Hide quoted text -

A couple of years back, I responded to one of these fellows... just
for fun… I wanted to see how "creative" they got... and I am happy to
report that they were not very creative... I received two checks...
one for $65K and another for $58K... both checks are in my peg board
now... as a reminder… ;-)

Obviously both "scammers" refused to make direct contact, both
disappeared when I ask for their mailing address for the FAA
paperwork, also when I confirmed that I got the checks and that I
would call the issuer bank before depositing them... and as you may
have suspected, both banks confirmed that the checks were as phony as
an eight dollar bill...

Enrique
KO

FAA Racism in high gear BiffClinton Piloting 0 June 3rd 07 08:00 PM
Mig-15 kicking up dirt Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:54 PM
Good news: Kicking out of N-reg aircraft (from the UK) postponed Barney Rubble General Aviation 1 November 14th 06 01:35 PM
Beware these scammers goneill Soaring 1 April 8th 05 11:19 PM
Moller skycar still kicking Harry K Home Built 16 May 26th 04 05:16 PM