HURRICANE PROOF BUILDINGS

Old August 16th 04, 04:49 PM
BllFs6

Free does not mean free-for-all. The governor has the power to force people
to leave their homes and move them to safety when there is a clear and
present danger to them. He should used it.

Yep, and next thing you know your guilty of thought crimes and goose stepping
down the street....

Blll
Old August 16th 04, 05:17 PM
Ken Finney

Two comments.

1. If I lived in hurricane country, I'd have at least one Gunnite-type
quonset hut to put my valuables in and hide in.

2. I've seen safe rooms built out of wood, but IIRC, they were made of two
sheets of 1 and and eighth plywood laminated together.

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
"Vaughn" wrote in
:

Wood is an amazing building material. A properly designed wooden
structure will stand up to a hurricane just as well as a properly
designed concrete structure.

Sorry, but I won't buy that for one second. Concrete doesn't blow out when
a window gives way and air pressure builds up inside the house, not at
hurricane speed winds. Safe rooms built inside wooden homes in tornado
alley are not build out of wood -- they are built out of reinforced
concrete.

Did you know that they even make airplanes out of wood?
(aviation content)

Sure, and very few people find them suitable for permanent habitation.

Old August 16th 04, 05:23 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
It doesn't take a genius...

Yep, you are right about that Juan.

Old August 16th 04, 07:09 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Ken Finney" wrote in
:

Two comments.

1. If I lived in hurricane country, I'd have at least one
Gunnite-type quonset hut to put my valuables in and hide in.

Oh, that explains it. Well, I was born and live in hurricane country (the
Caribbean) and very few people here have quonset huts to hide in. We just
stay indoors.

2. I've seen safe rooms built out of wood, but IIRC, they were made
of two sheets of 1 and and eighth plywood laminated together.

I've seen thicker wood complete run through by a flying piece of debris,
but never concrete.

Old August 16th 04, 07:23 PM
BllFs6

Free does not mean free-for-all. The governor has the power to force
people to leave their homes and move them to safety when there is a
clear and present danger to them. He should used it.

Yep, and next thing you know your guilty of thought crimes and goose
stepping down the street....

That sounds like a personal problem of which you need to speak to your
chaplain.

Ahhh,,,,,,the people here who cherish FREEDOM will get my point......and Juan
will still be Juan.....

Bllll
Old August 16th 04, 09:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Juan Jimenez wrote:
"Vaughn" wrote in
:

Wood is an amazing building material. A properly designed wooden
structure will stand up to a hurricane just as well as a properly
designed concrete structure.

Sorry, but I won't buy that for one second. Concrete doesn't blow out when
a window gives way and air pressure builds up inside the house, not at
hurricane speed winds. Safe rooms built inside wooden homes in tornado
alley are not build out of wood -- they are built out of reinforced
concrete.

That's because you are not an engineer and haven't a clue. Almost all
common building materials can be used to build a structure of a given
strength. It is just that some materials are more cost effective in
certain circumstances. A safe room built from 10" thick oak timbers
would be quite strong. It is just that few people know how to properly
build with timber these days and reinforced concrete is easy and cheap.
Nothing to do with strength, it is economics.

Matt

Old August 16th 04, 10:01 PM
Matt Whiting

Juan Jimenez wrote:

osite (RobertR237) wrote in
:

There's a simple solution: build HURRICANE PROOF BUILDINGS

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/co...ars/index.html

Hurricane resistant, maybe...Hurricane Proof, never.

Unless everything around it is tied down and the wind is from the
right direction, any building is vulnerable to damage from a strong
hurricane. One of the biggest sources of damage in every hurricane is
blowing debris causing the initial damage to a building and the
resulting winds finishing the work.

That must explain why every home in the neighborhood I grew up in is still
standing, -intact-, 60+ years after they were built, and several hurricanes
later, while one hurricane pretty much wiped out entire cities and
neighborhoods in a few hours in Florida. It doesn't take a genius to figure
out that when it comes to protecting people from things like hurricanes,
concrete beats wood 99% of the time.

No, concrete designed to withstand hurricans beats wood that wasn't so
designed. The old wood sailing ships took a lot more beating on a daily
basis than is dished out by a hurricane. And they held up rather well.
It is a matter of what loads the structure is designed for, not the
materials used in the construction.

Matt

Old August 16th 04, 10:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Juan Jimenez wrote:

"Ken Finney" wrote in
:

Two comments.

1. If I lived in hurricane country, I'd have at least one
Gunnite-type quonset hut to put my valuables in and hide in.

Oh, that explains it. Well, I was born and live in hurricane country (the
Caribbean) and very few people here have quonset huts to hide in. We just
stay indoors.

2. I've seen safe rooms built out of wood, but IIRC, they were made
of two sheets of 1 and and eighth plywood laminated together.

I've seen thicker wood complete run through by a flying piece of debris,
but never concrete.

Comparing 2" of wood to 6" or more of concrete is simply dumb. It is
easy to poke a hole through concrete that is only 2" thick ... I've done
it several times.

Matt

Old August 16th 04, 11:00 PM
Blueskies

"Richard Riley" wrote in message ...
On 16 Aug 2004 14:24:02 GMT, osite (RobertR237)
wrote:
:
Apparently most of them survived the huricane fine, unless
they were hit by flying cars and oak trees.

Flying cars and oak trees! So it takes a hurricane to make our wishes come true!