Oshkosh gate admission on Sunday 24th?

Old June 28th 05, 06:10 PM
John T

I was on the grounds the weekend before opening, and in fact, was
allowed to ride my bike on the grounds!
Didn't try that last year, so I don't know if bikes are still allowed.

John

Old June 28th 05, 06:12 PM
John T

I was able to get into the dealer buildings on Sunday just fine,
snooping around for a good deal on a 196.

All them said they'd wouldn't give a firm price til monday. They wanted
to check the competition...

John

Old June 28th 05, 06:13 PM
John T

You can get a weeklong wristband.

John

Old June 29th 05, 01:35 AM
Cy Galley

Many that arrive early, volunteer and do many of the jobs of getting ready
for the convention.
--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

"David Odum" MyFirstName@AirplaneZone wrote in message
"Montblack" wrote:

Can you walk around looking at planes (for free) on Saturday 23rd and
Sunday
24th? Show opens on Monday, July 25th. When do they start charging 'gate
admission' at Oshkosh?

I was about to post a similar question. If I were flying to OSH as in
years past, I could arrive a few days early and have de facto access
to the grounds and flight line prior to the official opening on July
25. Unfortunately, circumstances this year force me to drive there
instead (I haven't driven to OSH in over 20 years), but I'd still like
to arrive a few days early to photograph the early arrivals such as
the en masse caravans and perhaps some big iron.

I don't mind if I have to pay for grounds access prior to July 25, I
just don't want to arrive a few days early and discover that only
those with "official" biz are permitted grounds and/or flight line
access. Anyone have the poop?

David Odum -- email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old June 29th 05, 03:10 PM
Jay Honeck

I was able to get into the dealer buildings on Sunday just fine, snooping
around for a good deal on a 196.

All them said they'd wouldn't give a firm price til monday. They wanted to
check the competition...

Yeah, that was my experience, too. Before the show starts, the vendors are
all psyched up and cocky -- and who can blame them? Why should they give
anyone a price right before 800,000 people descend on them?

Don't expect any "deals" until mid-week. And then don't expect any really
good deals on the "hot items" (whatever they are -- it changes every year).

However, if you're looking for something that's both (a) well represented by
many vendors, and (b) not "the new thing" on the field this year (like, for
instance, and JPI EDM-700 engine analyzer) you can expect to find really
good deals in OSH.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 05, 03:25 PM
Roy Page

I am paying my first visit to OSH this year.
What kind of good deals have been given in the past ?

--
Roy
N5804F - PA28-181 Piper Archer II

Old June 29th 05, 03:54 PM
Jay Honeck

I am paying my first visit to OSH this year.
What kind of good deals have been given in the past ?

Congratulations! You're in for the time of your life.

Let's see. I bought by first, second and third GPS's at OSH, and was able
to beat any listed price, anywhere, on each of them.

I have bought five pairs of headsets at OSH -- and have always beaten any
published price. Hell, one year the president of Lightspeed GAVE me a pair.

My JPI engine analyzer was hundreds less than any price you'll see in a
catalog, as was my Narco 810+R com radio (the digital slide-in replacement
for the venerable Narco 120).

And I'm not even mentioning all the stuff we've obtained at OSH for our
aviation theme-suite hotel. Everything from wing ribs to propellers can be
obtained for pennies on the dollar at OSH, as compared to any other source.

Best of all, you get to see/touch/feel/play/twiddle all these things BEFORE
they arrive at your door. Seeing and testing a GPS with a qualified
manufacturing rep is worth hundreds right there -- and it's simply not an
experience that can be had when you live hundreds of miles from the nearest
major metropolitan area.

Oshkosh is heaven for pilots and aircraft owners. There is no substitute --
although Sun N Fun comes pretty close.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 05, 10:00 PM
Dave Stadt

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Cy Galley" wrote:

Many that arrive early, volunteer and do many of the jobs of getting

ready
for the convention.

The NOTAM says it starts on Saturday morning. Is there any
particular arrival procedure for those arriving before
Saturday, or do you treat it like a normal class D arrival?

T o d d P a t t i s t
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

It will be a normal class D until the NOTAM goes into effect. I'm going in
on Friday and will probably come in on the Ripon arrival just so it feels
right.

Old June 30th 05, 01:40 AM
David J. Zera

John,

Good Afternoon, no officially bikes and not allowed. now with that said
bring it right it!!! before it is officially opened no one will stop you, my
belief is that you will not get hassled until Monday. in my 17 years working
there I never seen a person get hassled before the official start.

Dave J. Zera
Co-Chairman
Safety / Flight line
AirVenture

Old June 30th 05, 04:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Good Afternoon, no officially bikes and not allowed. now with that said
bring it right it!!! before it is officially opened no one will stop you,
my belief is that you will not get hassled until Monday. in my 17 years
working there I never seen a person get hassled before the official start.

Thanks for jumping in here, Dave.

One more question, please:

What are the reasons that bikes aren't allowed on the grounds? We've got
golf carts trying to kill us all day long, 7-car-trams threatening to run up
our heels, parents pulling wagons or pushing strollers, and "courtesy cars"
driving every which way -- but those of us who live in the North 40 all week
can't peddle a bike to save our feet?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck