Oshkosh gate admission on Sunday 24th?

Old June 30th 05, 05:42 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

-- but those of us who live in the North 40 all week
can't peddle a bike to save our feet?

You can peddle it all you want -- just don't try to pedal it. :-)

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 30th 05, 09:06 PM
David Odum

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

What are the reasons that bikes aren't allowed on the grounds? We've got
golf carts trying to kill us all day long, 7-car-trams threatening to run up
our heels, parents pulling wagons or pushing strollers, and "courtesy cars"
driving every which way -- but those of us who live in the North 40 all week
can't peddle a bike to save our feet?

Jay,

I think that the Airventure policy regarding bikes during the show is
well considered and correct. It's not that I'm not anti-bike. Quite
the contrary, I love cycling. I raced bikes full time in the mid 70s
for four years straight and have more than 50,000 bike miles on the
road to date. Unfortunately, if bikes were allowed at Airventure
during the show there would be far too many people on bikes trying to
weave in and around the foot traffic, and I'd be one of them.

David Odum - email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old June 30th 05, 10:48 PM
Matt Whiting

David Odum wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[...]

I can't believe it would be that hard to set up a bike path or two. For
that matter, they should separate the golf carts and other conveyances
from the foot traffic. This isn't rocket science to figure out and not
that hard to implement.

Matt
Old July 1st 05, 02:13 AM
Jay Honeck

-- but those of us who live in the North 40 all week can't peddle a bike
to save our feet?

You can peddle it all you want -- just don't try to pedal it. :-)

Danged stupid chell-specker...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 05, 02:17 AM
Jay Honeck

I think that the Airventure policy regarding bikes during the show is
well considered and correct. It's not that I'm not anti-bike. Quite
the contrary, I love cycling. I raced bikes full time in the mid 70s
for four years straight and have more than 50,000 bike miles on the
road to date. Unfortunately, if bikes were allowed at Airventure
during the show there would be far too many people on bikes trying to
weave in and around the foot traffic, and I'd be one of them.

Well, I hear you. But I sure wish there were some bike paths that we could
use so that getting from my tent in the North 40 to the ultralight area in
the South 40 wasn't a 30-minute (or more) hike.

By the end of the week, none of us can bear the thought of walking down that
far anymore, so we end up skipping huge portions of the show that I'd really
like to see in greater detail.

It seems like a couple of "bikes/scooters only" paths, with parking areas at
either end, would do the trick?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 05, 02:32 PM
Joe Camp

I agree 100%! that's one of the most irratating policies the EAA has.
The distances to cover on the OSH grounds are huge. And the crowd that
attends is not getting any younger. Bikes need to be allowed and soon.
Not only do you have to walk great distances, usually you're carrying
a bunch of stuff that makes it all the more harder. Motorized bikes
should be allowed also. Like those Bumble bee bike motors sold at the
convention. I've been to other non-EAA fly-ins, and being able to use
my Dahon folding bike is wonderful. And when the only users with them
are the persons bringing folding bikes in their planes, there aren't
that many of them anyway. We've got too many old ladys controlling
EAA, that all they talk about is over conservatisim ad infinitum. I
say the heck with 'em, I'm tired of walking my ass off at the fly-in.
My back isn't what it used to be, and flying my plane there is the
easy part. Covering the grounds is another matter. Years ago, when
FAA administrator Jim Busey attended the Oshkosh convention, he
remarked that the crowd was big, but old. Well, we're even older now!
And what about when we can't walk so far? is it a wonder that
admissions are off at the fly-ins? look at Sun n Fun. The EAA needs
to get their heads out of their a__es and realize this. Quit worrying
about a harmless bicycle hitting some person or plane. There are a lot
worse dangers at a fly-in, like propellers. Danger of fire with all
the fueled planes, winds blowing aircraft around. I can't believe
with dangers like that, they worry about a bicycle. But that's what we
end up with when the EAA has all the proxy votes and has virtual
control of the whole smash, instead of the members, as they should.
Don't sign that proxy vote over to them! Maybe then, we could vote in
bicycles, and who knows what else.

Old July 1st 05, 04:29 PM
Mark Smith

Joe Camp wrote:

[...]

EAA I'm sure recosnizes the aging of its members. that is the primary
reason for the sport pilot ruling they pushed hard to get.

EAA is on the skids as any membership chairman can tell you when the
average age of the members keeps creeping higher and higher, year after
year.

They need a program that will get kids back into something other than TV
and CDs,,,,,,,,

The ultralight movement helped, but the recent onus of sport pilot
pushed that all back.

--
Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

Old July 1st 05, 05:11 PM
W P Dixon

The ultralight movement helped, but the recent onus of sport pilot
pushed that all back.

--
Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales
1121 N Locust St
Mt Vernon, IN 47620
1-812-838-6351
http://www.trikite.com

I find that to be alittle strange, at the EAA chapter here there are alot of
the ultralight crowd, a few builders and restorers, and the only person
there under the age of 55 is me,.....the lone sport pilot. A few of the guys
are getting ready for the time when they will need the sport pilot rules.
Dang Mark, the only person I see that is going back because of sport pilot
is you!
I really wonder why that is? Can you not get a pilot cert for some
reason? Not trying to offend you but just wonder why you seem so deadset
against something that is helping someone like myself so much? From what I
see that has pushed the EAA back is the going from actually building an
airplane , to buying a 40 Grand kit. And the biggest reason, is the EAA has
to find a way to get younger people involved.
So please , find some young folks and train them in your fat ultralights
and make them sport pilots!!! Are you against making money? I would think
any biz , especially in aviation would be happy as a bug in a rug to have
another way to make a dollar! Are you just ****ed because you will have to
get the fat ultralights N numbered? I just do not understand your contempt.
Reminds me of listening to Ted Kennedy spewing his rants and never a good
word to say about anything.
Heck you can still fly your "weedwackers" around, and I get the
opportunity to fly an airplane. We should both be happy!
Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old July 1st 05, 08:04 PM
Ken Finney

"David Odum" MyFirstName@AirplaneZone wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[...]

Last year was my first time at Oshkosh, and I understand that the weather
caused the attendance to be down 5 to 10% from previous years. I sure
would have hated to see bikes in the main areas, the congestion would have
been a lot worse. Lots of trams to ride. As for the out-lying areas, I can
see that bikes could be beneficial.

Old July 1st 05, 08:23 PM
Mark Smith

W P Dixon wrote:

[...]

Weedwackers eh ?

Sounds like you need an ultralight ride bad !

I like the open, don't care for cross countries, could own most any
plane i wanted, but I like the quicksilver clones i personally build
from scratch,,,,,,,,,

I do enjoy instructing but find the FnAA programs to not produce the
quality of pilot my own haphazzard methods produce.

Not sure, but you've agreed with several of my points,,,,,,,,,

stop by my place for some fun, and if you keep a straight face when we
get back, it's free,,,,,,,,,

and BTW, I don't make my money giving ul lessons at 55 an hour,,,,,,,,
--
Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales