flying into snow showers without deice

Old February 4th 05, 01:25 AM
Doug Carter

Default flying into snow showers without deice

I'm presuming flying IFR in light snow in a Skylane RG with no deice
equipment other that the pitot heat is OK if the temp is low enough to
preclude sticking, perhaps -10c or less.

This comes up as I contemplate flying to Minneapolis early next week.

Just is case there could be other opinions though...
Old February 4th 05, 01:35 AM
Peter R.

Doug Carter wrote:

I'm presuming flying IFR in light snow in a Skylane RG with no deice
equipment other that the pitot heat is OK if the temp is low enough to
preclude sticking, perhaps -10c or less.

This comes up as I contemplate flying to Minneapolis early next week.

Just is case there could be other opinions though...

I trained for my instrument rating downwind of Lake Ontario, New York
State, during the winter of '02-'03. Most of my 17 or so hours of actual
instrument conditions logged during the training were in moderate to heavy
lake effect snow in temperatures from -2 to -15 degrees C.

Other than a very light, white film on the leading edges, the snow never
stuck to the C172 in any mass to cause concern during these, or any
subsequent flights.

--
Peter

Old February 4th 05, 01:35 AM
Mike Rapoport

If you can see then you are ok. Even heavy wet snow isn't really a problem.
Sometimes clouds can be "embeded" in the snow and they may contain ice.

Mike
MU-2

om...

Old February 4th 05, 10:50 AM
Bernd Seitter

From my real life experience: your wings are not the main problem - but the
prop. I had 2 flights in where I had to go through light snow for landing
and always the prop. was "iced" (from the spinner to half of the blades
appr. - thats why the prop heating sits exactly there, if you have it ;-) -
when you get out of the airplane and see it you are scared.

If you have to go missed - I have my doubts that you will be able to get all
the power. Now add some little ice on the wings/frame, more time in light
snow, maybe even divert - I am not going to do that again.

Bernd

Old February 4th 05, 12:16 PM
Peter R.

Bernd Seitter wrote:

I had 2 flights in where I had to go through light snow for landing
and always the prop. was "iced" (from the spinner to half of the blades

Were you sure that wasn't from the clouds?

--
Peter

Old February 4th 05, 02:00 PM
Doug Carter

Bernd Seitter wrote:
From my real life experience: your wings are not the main problem - but the
prop. I had 2 flights in where I had to go through light snow for landing
and always the prop. was "iced" (from the spinner to half of the blades

do you happen to remember what the temperature was?
Old February 4th 05, 03:13 PM
Mike Rapoport

Any ice on your prop came from flying through cloud, not snow. Snow is
already frozen and doesn't stick.

Mike
MU-2

"Bernd Seitter" wrote in message
From my real life experience: your wings are not the main problem - but
the prop. I had 2 flights in where I had to go through light snow for

Old February 4th 05, 06:00 PM
Bernd Seitter

I do not remember the temperatures (but it was not too cold, maybe -5C
Celcius on the ground - the ice did not melt from the prop). The cloud
layers were thin (maybe 2000ft) - both flights happened in southern Germany
during winter time, both alreay after sunset (quite early here in winter
time ;-)

No - I am not sure if the ice came from the clouds. But then I would have
seen more ice pickup in the clouds on the wings, and this was really just
small amount, compared to the "ice block" on the prop.

I have been to similar and more heavy icing conditions, but with an
appropriate equip. aircraft. There you could see the ice pick up very
clearly on the radar-dome under the wing (C210) while flying - on the
leading edge of the wing it is difficult to see (IMHO). On the ground I
could see parts of the wings iced while the prop. was clean as it could be.

Bernd

Old February 4th 05, 10:07 PM
Matt Whiting

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Any ice on your prop came from flying through cloud, not snow. Snow is
already frozen and doesn't stick.

Wet snow can stick. A snowflake that falls into warm air (above
freezing air) doesn't instantly turn to water. Parts of it may be water
while other parts are frozen. This can stick to the airframe, or,
particularly on certain Cessnas, quickly clog the air intake.

I never had trouble in the 182 below about 25F, but I quickly clogged
the air intake in heavy snow at about 32-34F once.

Matt
Old February 5th 05, 06:03 AM
Mike Rapoport

If it is melting then the temp is above 0Cand the water content isn't
supercooled and it won't stick. It can certainly clog the intake though.

Mike
MU-2