PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 13th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System

PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to

at least make you aware of what fast moving traffic is approaching
your current airspace.
If you think that an airliner in going to spot you just because
you have a transponder, is a very false security.
I fly a Boeing jet for a living and at times it is very hard to see
another jet that ATC and TCAS alerted us to.

When I flew my glider in Moriarty last June, I was amazed at the number
of large jets coming in from the east passing above and below me.
I was talking and listening to ABQ approach control. ACT gave the
approaching traffic my position and altitude and none of the airliners
could look visually locate me. I saw all of them. I am sure that most
of these pilots are running their descent and approach check lists,
doing an approach briefing and saying a few last words to the
passengers.

At work when we get below 18,000 feet, I am always looking for gliders
below the base of the clouds. I have never seen a glider in over
19 years of flying, but I know that they are there. I am hoping that
they see me.
It seems to me that a PCAS type of system would help me locate
a majority of the biggest and fastest moving threats in the sky,
commercial airliners, corporate jet and higher-end general aviation
aicraft).

Any PCAS users out there?

Randy