transponders in EU

Old February 1st 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sandro

Default transponders in EU

Hallo,

In Holland it looks like they are going to make Transponders mode S obligatory
on all sailplanes, starting mid 2008 (the starting date has been postponed a
couple of times already but it looks like it is really going to happen, sooner
or later).

I was wondering what is the situation in other countries (I am particularly
interested in Germany, France, Switzerland,Austria).

I know in Germany there are TMZ (transponder mandatory zones) already, but I
have no idea if at some point all gliders will be expected to have a
transponder. (BTW, is it possible to find an online summary of these TMZ without
having to give my mobile phone number to the Deutsche Flugsicherung?).

Any comment is welcome,

Sandro

Old February 1st 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Alin

Sandro schrieb:
Hallo,

In Holland it looks like they are going to make Transponders mode S obligatory
on all sailplanes, starting mid 2008 (the starting date has been postponed a
couple of times already but it looks like it is really going to happen, sooner
or later).

I was wondering what is the situation in other countries (I am particularly
interested in Germany, France, Switzerland,Austria).

Hi Sandro,

here is a short german text about the sitation germany:
http://www.daec.de/te/transponder.php (german).

To make a long story short:
From 31th march 2008 (for new aircrafts the date was 31. march 2005)
all VFR-Flights need to have a mode S transponder in following airspaces:

- Class C and D. (A and B don't exists in germany)
- Transponder Mandatory Zone – TMZ
- in controlled Airspace (this includes also E) during night flights
- motor-powered aircrafts, excepts their current operation mode is
soaring, in heights about 5000 ft above seelevel and 3500 ft GND.

I know in Germany there are TMZ (transponder mandatory zones) already, but I
have no idea if at some point all gliders will be expected to have a
transponder. (BTW, is it possible to find an online summary of these TMZ without
having to give my mobile phone number to the Deutsche Flugsicherung?).

I don't know an online summary, but you can see them on the ICAO charts.
Most of them are in the very western parts of germany.

Andreas

Any comment is welcome,

Sandro