Glider repair health issues?

Old January 17th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider repair health issues?

I have sprayed a bunch, four airplanes and my HP-18. Used acrylic enamel on the glider, Imron on the RV-6 and PPG base clear on the RV-10 and Rans S-20 and a German base/clear on the Reno Racer I was crew chief on. Was a good boy and used positive pressure on most of them and a good cartridge filter on the rest.

What got me was sanding carbon fiber. On the Reno Racer I built a complete new nose bowl and several other parts out of carbon. Just a dust mask for most. Well that got me pneumonia like symptoms from dust inhalation. I have breathed in a lot of fiberglass in my day with no effect, but apparently the carbon is not so benign.

Bruce Patton
Still flying HP-18 69S
Old January 20th 20, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi JJ:

Your pulmonologist is partly right -while it's true that the particle size of most fiberglass is too large to stay airborne and reach the terminal branches of the lung, flame-attenuated fiberglass particles are, like asbestos, fully respirable and can. Unlike asbestos, the body can process some glass fibers which offers a bit of protection but the best bet is not to breath the stuff in the first place and never ever smoke.

Best,

Ray Warshaw
Old January 20th 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Becoming sensitised to the amines in epoxy is a real thing.
Old January 21st 20, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
heinz weissenbuehler

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 5:30:42 PM UTC-5, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Becoming sensitised to the amines in epoxy is a real thing.

JJ,

How are you !???

I did not know there was a smell in my shop ........

All good so far

Heinz
Old January 21st 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not to worry Heinz’e, it’ll take more than epoxy stink and fiberglass dust to due in a U-2 Pilot!
Still remember you doing a max rate turn over Truckee in the bird, your contrails looked to be about 20 mile radius!
Pat says hi,
JJ