Questions/Comments about OGN

Old January 20th 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Questions/Comments about OGN

I am interested in the Open Glider Network (OGN) work with a possible implementation around the Chicago area. See http://wiki.glidernet.org/ for details. You can see tracked objects at http://live.glidernet.org. As you can imagine not much going on right now on January 20th - except around Santiago Chile where 10 gliders are lining up with 3 tow planes (including two ASW-29's from Germany!).

A couple of comments and questions;

- The US lags far behind in OGN implementation with only 6 sites (Albuquerque, Williams, Minden, Moriarty, Edgewood and Lake Placid). We are tied with Namibia (!) and are behind Canada (8 sites). For comparison Germany has 281 and UK has 166 sites.

- Region 11 PASCO (Pacific Soaring Council) mentioned in March of 2019 that they were implementing OGN in the region (see their Yahoo Group thread below). Looks like Williams has been implemented. What other sites are in the works?

- Has OGN been used at some contests/regattas/events? If so, which?

- On http://wiki.glidernet.org/ there is this comment, "At the moment you already can see beacons from PilotAware, SPOT, Garmin InReach, Skymaster, FANET (paragliders) and Spidertracks circulating through our network." (plus FLARM of course). Does this mean that **ALL** the heavily used soaring SPOT and InReach trackers are showing up on all the OGN tracking sites?

- What is the typical cost to implement an OGN site?

- What is the typical range of an OGN site? Assumming flat terrain and an antenna on top of a typical hangar.

- What is the primary motivation for OGN? Watching contests in "real" time? Safety? In cockpit use?

Thanks,
John OHM Ω

From: PASCO - Pacific Soaring Council, Inc
Date: Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 8:58 AM
Subject: Morgan, Region 11 OGN Fund Announcement

OGN Fund Announcement

To PASCO SSA Region 11,

PASCO is pleased to announce the creation of a fund to support the
installation of Open Glider Network (OGN) receiver stations throughout our
soaring region (SSA Region 11). The approved budget for this enterprise is
$2,000 over two years. The funds are expressly for the purpose of covering
material expenses required to build the receiver stations for the creation
of a Region 11 OGN network. The initial target coverage areas for the OGN
network are the most commonly used soaring cross country routes.

Creation of this OGN network will enhance the visibility and safety of
soaring in Region 11. OGN receiver stations provide not only real time
position reports and flight tracks of FLARM equipped gliders to computers
and mobile devices with internet connections, but also provide real time
data that could support search and retrieve/rescue operations. If you are
not familiar with the OGN network log into glidertracker.org and you will
see all aircraft that have registered and transmitting FLARM devices. You
will note heavy application of this technology in Europe and PASCO is
actively supporting its introduction in our region.

Project Coordinator: PASCO member Philip Lee has
volunteered to lead the project of planning, building and installation of
OGN receivers at key locations throughout Region 11. Philip designed,
constructed and installed the first OGN receiver station in our region at Williams, CA and will coordinate the initial rollout of OGN receivers in Region 11, prioritizing heavily-trafficked glider airspace. He is your best resource
for starting your own build project and suggesting additional station
locations.

PASCO requests that all individuals contact Philip Lee prior to
construction of a new OGN receiver station to avoid duplication of station
locations or significant overlapping coverage areas. Please coordinate your
projects with Philip or volunteer to take on a receiver build and
installation for a specific location. Any help will be greatly appreciated
by the entire soaring community as the benefit is great.

To Request Reimbursement for OGN receiver station material costs: Submit
copies of receipts and the intended location for the OGN receiver
station(s) that you built via email to .

Regards,
Dan Colton
President, Pacific Soaring Council
Old January 21st 20, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

OGN receivers were installed in multiple places in California and Nevada last year thanks to the PASCO Initiative.
Williams, Avenal, Truckee, Minden, Hollister (planned), Byron (planned), tehachappi and couple more places in Mojave and southern sierras.
From my experience for the OGN network to really work well there need to be many OGN receivers, spread every 50 miles or so, otherwise there is only sporadic reception from further away. but they work very well for local flights.
Also the web sites I tried so far (mostly glidertracker.org) works but not nearly as well and consistent as the SSA tracker.
I would like to see one day a Fully functional web site such as the ssa tracker which integrates all the different tracking sources we have nowadays: Inreach, spot, flarm, ADS-B, Mode S transponders, flight computers (eg xcsoar/skylines) and cell phone apps.

Ramy
Old January 21st 20, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FYI, the list above shows Albuquerque, Moriarty and Edgewood in New Mexico. For all intents and purposes, all three are essentially serving the Moriarty Airport. There is another OGN tracker located at Taos, NM, but its usefulness is debatable. It may be removed and relocated to another spot to enhance coverage in the Estancia Valley (Moriarty). Please note that these installations (along with FlightAware antennae and hardware) were installed with funds provided by Albuquerque Soaring Club pilots who volunteered to pay for the equipment to enhance safer general aviation and soaring in the area.. The effort has been welcomed by the NM State Aviation Department, the NM State Police and all of the assorted Search & Rescue groups in the area.

Old January 21st 20, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

We have installed several ground stations with sometimes over 100km reception. Hardware cost has been less then 500usd per station.
Old January 21st 20, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am interested in the Open Glider Network (OGN) work with a possible implementation around the Chicago area.

Looks like you found a project with a good fun to effort ratio.

The US coverage map is slim:

http://ognrange.onglide.com/#,max,re...000ff,circles;

But a tracking station looks easy:

http://wiki.glidernet.org/ogn-receiv...tware#hardware

To get coverage for a task area, you might want either a mountain top or a handful of sites?
Old January 21st 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John, you know me. I'm slow on the uptake but I make up for it with a bit of open mindedness. What is the purpose of this thing? It sounds like a half step between ADS-B and Flarm.
When I started flying gliders nobody even had a radio. Sometime after radios and GPS if you didn't have a transponder you were a public menace out to give gliders a bad name WHEN you inevitably blunder into a 747 full of nuns on their way to build an orphanage. Then Flarm, even though it already looked outdated at the onset in the shadow of ADS-B was made mandatory for contests and anybody who wanted to feel safer at the home field. This just seems like "one more thing to do". Given that none of it is a %100 magic pill, just how fine do we want to slice this thing? I really don't care what the glider 50 miles away is doing,so what's this for? Sell me on it.
Old January 21st 20, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 07:13:06 UTC-7, wrote:
I am interested in the Open Glider Network (OGN) work with a possible implementation around the Chicago area.

Looks like you found a project with a good fun to effort ratio.

The US coverage map is slim:

http://ognrange.onglide.com/#,max,re...000ff,circles;

But a tracking station looks easy:

http://wiki.glidernet.org/ogn-receiv...tware#hardware

To get coverage for a task area, you might want either a mountain top or a handful of sites?

Does anyone have experience in a base station configuration that can be used in a remote location such as a mountain peak? This would require batteries, solar panels, weather protection and non-dedicated internet connection?

I am thinking of what it would take to cover the eastern Great Basin area from Nephi south to Parowan and west into the Great Basin.

Thanks in advance
Old January 21st 20, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 1:49:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...What is the purpose of this thing?

If you are asking about FLARM, see:
http://www.nadler.com/GliderPilotUSA...FlarmHome.html

OGN lets everyone know where everyone is, great for friends, families, and sometimes SAR. In Europe, pretty much all gliders and many powered aircraft (majority of GA aircraft) have FLARM, and the distances aren't so big, so coverage is pretty good.

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave
Old January 21st 20, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm talking about OGN. A SPOT, InReach, can already do this. (Another device I forgot to mention.) I dunno... it just seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Old January 21st 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 4:11:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm talking about OGN. A SPOT, InReach, can already do this.

OGN is a great solution for thousands of gliders that do not have SPOT or InReach.