Water landing, was Drag chute deployed

Old September 3rd 03, 11:58 PM
BMacLean

I've thought about water landings and I'd also make sure all the straps of
my parachute were released (though I'd keep my seat belts on) and possibly
the canopy jettisoned in case I had to evacuate quickly. I think you could
drown in deep enough water with a parachute strapped to your back.

Barb 18

"Doug" wrote in message
Any thoughts on unlocking the canopy so it doesn't get stuck or somehow

bind
thus making it harder to open, especially if you find yourself upside

down?

"Hank Nixon" wrote in message
om...
Wallace Berry wrote in message

Wheel down is the safe way to land on water. I believe that "wheeling

it
on", in other words, not a minimum energy landing is the way to go.
Locking the wheel brake (for gliders which have wheel brakes actuated

by
other than the dive brake handle) might be a good idea. Bush pilots

land
wheeled airplanes on water frequently. They lock the wheel brakes and
hydroplane on the surface right up to sandbars. What one bush pilot

told
me was that in a Super Cub, as long as you were at 30 mph or above,

the
plane would just ride along on the surface as if you were on pavement.
Even to the point that a hard touchdown would result in a bounce. I
wouldn't have believed him but he showed me videos of him and his
buddies landing on lakes. He also said that it was important to pick a
sandbar that was long enough to get back to 30 mph before you hit the
water. So, for water landings, it would be wheel down, brakes locked

if
possible, land just like wheeling a 2-33 on at the local field.

Hope I don't ever have to try it out.

Water Landings:In order of importance
Gear Down
At least 2M of water depth- err on deeper side if in doubt.
Minimum energy
Parallel to shore
Into wind

From a pilot survival,and secondarily, glider damage point of view a

water
landing is safer than a landing in trees.
AND much more embarassing when your friends hear about it.
UH

Old September 4th 03, 02:17 AM
Liam Finley

Don't forget, in the unlikely event of a water landing, you can use
your seat cushion as a floatation device.

Old September 5th 03, 09:32 AM
Andrew Warbrick

Yes, but they had the bombs spinning opposite to the
direction of travel mostly to produce gyroscopic stabilisation
but also to get a higher bounce. If they'd spun the
bombs with the direction of travel they would have
been stabilised but wouldn't have bounced enough.

Therefore, if you could drive a glider wheel backward
during a water landing you would aquaplane further,
but locking the wheel is the best you can get.

The LS's are the best for this, I'm pretty sure if
I was forced into a water landing I'd be braced against
the rudder pedals

At 05:12 05 September 2003, Steve Pawling wrote:
You need to see the movie 'The Dambusters' to see how
this works and
follow their technique. It's been a long while since
I've seen the
movie but if I recall correctly, they tried having
the bomb spinning
before dropping it onto the water.

Steve
LS-3a AM

snip
Not really! I am looking for enough speed to hydroplane,
with a
smaller wheel than the super cub. If I go too slow
the wheel will not
plane, and the AC will go on it's nose, dive. If in
fact I am able to
plane, after loosing speed while doing so, I should
slowly sink like a
waterskier that lost the towrope.

The trick seems to be, to fly the plane on, not to
stall it on. I
believe those bush pilots! After all, if a 1 ton car
can hydroplane
why not a sailplane with a much lower footprint. I
have not tried it,
but I would take my chances with a locked wheel and
enough speed.
Naturally this could not be done with any kind of
waves!
snip