Soaring club close to NYC, with high-performance gliders

Old September 28th 05, 04:26 AM
City Dweller

Default Soaring club close to NYC, with high-performance gliders

Hi all,

I am a newly minted private pilot and I really want to try this soaring
thing (and possibly even get a glider rating.) I live in NYC and fly out of
Caldwell, NJ (CDW). Being a proud owner of a composite airplane (Diamond
Star) I am hoping to take my introductory ride and further training in one
of them beautiful composite high-performance gliders. Can someone recommend
a soaring club within 100 nautical miles of NY where they rent those. I
would prefer upstate NY, NJ or PA.

Thanks a lot in advance !

-- City Dweller

Old September 28th 05, 05:13 AM
Lorry

Try Wurtsboro, N.Y. Ask for either George or Patricia

Lorry Charchian

Old September 28th 05, 06:00 AM

Well, Ridge Soaring Gliderport (Knauff& Grove) in PA used to have a Duo
Discus, don't know what the current story is. Then there's Harris Hill
Soaring in Elmira NY which has ASK-21s. Both may be a bit further than
you wish to drive, but it's worth going someplace that isn't just going
to stick you in a 2-33. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Old September 28th 05, 06:12 AM
BTIZ

Philadelphia Soaring Council has all glass

go to www.ssa.org and check out "where to fly", you'll find all the closest
soaring sites that has responded to the SSA with contact information and
maybe web urls.

check out there FAST program while there.

BT

Old September 28th 05, 12:41 PM

The link to PGC is http://www.pgcsoaring.org/

Old September 28th 05, 02:19 PM

I suspect Long Island Soaring is the closest to your location--but they
do not have glass ships in the club to the best of my knowledge.

Philadepphia Glider Council (about 120 members) does have an all glass
fleet with three Grob G-103 two place ships (used for all dual
instruction), two Grob G-102, and one ASW-19 single seet ships. Of
course, there are also many private ships on the field. They own the
airport and have two tow planes. As in most clubs, instruction is part
of your membership fee and there is no extra charge. They have a
special transition program for power certified pilots.

Although the distance can be a problem on the ground, you can fly
direct to PGC in a short time. I suggest you call first, however, to
obtain landing permission and directions since it is a private field.

Fly safe--

Skip Guimond

Old September 28th 05, 02:55 PM
City Dweller

Thank you, gentlemen. I have just called the PGC and left a message. This
place looks great.

-- CD

ups.com...

Old September 28th 05, 02:56 PM
City Dweller

Thanks. Those are a little too far from me (about 150 nm), too far out even
by plane.

-- CD

oups.com...

Old September 28th 05, 04:53 PM

Take a 20 minute flight to Middletown NY and find out what it is all
about.
It's not what you train in that counts, It's who you train with.
UH

Old September 29th 05, 11:55 AM
rasposter

For the very best soaring conditions try Blairstown, NJ (1N7). It's
one of the closest to NYC and Caldwell Airport, just off Route 80, by
the scenic Delaware Water Gap.

We get to fly ridge, thermal, and wave at Blairstown.

Plus there are tows and instruction 7 days a week, year-round, given
proper weather of course.

It's probably the most active gliderport in the region.

There is a good variety of ships, pilots, a club or two, etc.

The FBO's primary training occurs in a 2-33 or 2-32 with a great
instructor.

Oh yeah, there is also the Runway Cafe and a good bit of varied Private
Power flying too.

http://www.yardscreeksoaring.com
http://aeroclubalbatross.org

Regards,
John Whitney

All Soaring Club Members Slick Soaring 2 August 10th 04 09:03 AM
Fwd: [BD4] Source of HIGH CHTs on O-320 and O-360 FOUND! Bruce A. Frank Home Built 1 July 4th 04 07:28 PM
Penn State Soaring Club Schreder projects sale. Wayne Paul Soaring 0 January 6th 04 02:21 AM
Mid-Air at Turf Soaring Herbert Kilian Soaring 7 January 2nd 04 11:26 AM
High performance homebuilt in the UK NigelPocock Home Built 0 August 18th 03 08:35 PM