Decent below MDA, Legal?

Old September 8th 03, 06:34 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bravo8500" wrote in message
om...

In a recent FAA sponsored seminar that I attended, a retired Tower
Controller mentioned in his presentation that IMC flight in Class G
airspace without a clearance was actually legal as long as the
aircraft and pilot were both instrument qualified. In other words if I
wanted to I could take my current IFR rating, hop into a current IFR
aircraft, and fly all I wanted to in IMC as long as I remained in
Class G (uncontrolled) airspace.

No clearance is required, no clearance is even available, but you still must
adhere to the instrument flight rules.

I had never really thought of being
able to do this so it was a little shocking to hear. After I got home
that afternoon, I thought to myself that if that were the case, then
when I'm at MDA on my local uncontrolled airport's NDB approach, and I
don't see the runway but can see directly underneath me, I could
legally slip down below MDA to try to bust out. Why? At MDA, I'm below
the 700 foot floor of the Class E airspace which puts me in Class G.
This would be the case at almost all uncontrolled airports that have
published instrument approaches. Does this sound right?

It sounds right as long as you have VFR conditions at the MDA and remain in
VFR conditions to your destination. You can't fly along within 700 feet of
the surface in IMC in Class G airspace, FAR 91.177 still applies in Class G
airspace.

Old September 8th 03, 07:06 AM
Greg Esres

In a recent FAA sponsored seminar that I attended, a retired Tower
Controller mentioned in his presentation that IMC flight in Class G
airspace without a clearance was actually legal as long as the
aircraft and pilot were both instrument qualified.

Yes, but not really. The NTSB has ruled such activty as "Careless or
reckless", and violated pilots for it.

Old September 8th 03, 11:26 AM

Greg, where can we view this ruling by the NTSB?
Do you or anyone have references to actual situations where pilots
have been violated using "careless and reckless" due to operating in
imc in uncontrolled airspace?
thanks, Stan

Old September 8th 03, 01:58 PM
John Harper

Sure, but I think the point here (definitely a "don't try this at
home" but an interesting theoretical point) is that if upon
reaching MDA, still in IMC, you cancel IFR (very quickly!)
then you would still be legal.

Whether this is wise is altogether a different point. However
if it is C&R then logically so is ANY uncontrolled IMC in
class G. Which is fine by me, I find the idea horrifying, even
if it is commonplace in the UK.

John

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Greg, where can we view this ruling by the NTSB?
Do you or anyone have references to actual situations where pilots
have been violated using "careless and reckless" due to operating in
imc in uncontrolled airspace?

The issue is not operating in IMC in uncontrolled airspace. The OP's
question revolved around descending below the MDA on an instrument
approach without having the runway environment in sight. That's illegal.

Old September 8th 03, 03:08 PM
Robert Moore

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
It sounds right as long as you have VFR conditions at the MDA
and remain in VFR conditions to your destination. You can't fly
along within 700 feet of the surface in IMC in Class G airspace,
FAR 91.177 still applies in Class G airspace.

But with regard to the original question, wouldn't the following
apply:

(a) Operation of aircraft at minimum altitudes. Except when necessary
for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft under IFR
below --

Bob Moore
Old September 8th 03, 03:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harper" wrote in message

Sure, but I think the point here (definitely a "don't try this at
home" but an interesting theoretical point) is that if upon
reaching MDA, still in IMC, you cancel IFR (very quickly!)
then you would still be legal.

It wouldn't be legal if the Class E floor is 700 AGL, as I believe it was in
the scenario provided here. The FARs still apply in Class G airspace,
including the one on minimum IFR altitudes. Ya gotta be at least 1000 feet
above the highest obstacle within 4 miles, and ya can't do that where
controlled airspace begins at 700 feet above the ground.

Old September 8th 03, 04:57 PM
Greg Esres

Greg, where can we view this ruling by the NTSB?

There is a website that has either all or a bunch of NTSB rulings. I
think there's a link from the FAA website or from the NTSB site, I
forget.

The case I have saved on my hard drive is Administrator vs. Murphy,
NTSB Order No. EA-3935, dated July 20, 1993.

It makes reference, however, to an earlier decision, Administrator
v. Vance, 5 NTSB 1037 (1986),
Old September 8th 03, 06:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 6...

But with regard to the original question, wouldn't the following
apply:

(a) Operation of aircraft at minimum altitudes. Except when necessary
for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft under IFR
below --

I should have been more clear. You'd have to cancel IFR upon reaching VMC
at the MDA and continue VFR to your destination.

Legal question PMA Home Built 9 January 14th 05 04:52 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 3 May 14th 04 11:55 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
Database update at Landings Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 0 May 11th 04 10:25 PM