Getting a little sick of it all

Old March 4th 04, 08:32 PM
MRQB

More than on BOZO.

Regarding not flying for a while...

When I bought my PA28-140 I noticed a 1 year or so gap where no flying was
done (or at least, nothing logged such as oil changes, 100 hour

inspections,
etc). It turns out this occurred about the time the infamous main spar AD
came out which mandated pulling wings and other expensive procedures. A

lot
of PA28 owners went into a holding pattern on this one (rather than
immediately drop mucho $$) because it was so onerous (the AD was later
rescinded but the piper service bulletin remained). I don't know for sure
that this is what happened, but it's a plausible explanation for the
inactivity (the previous owner didn't offer up this explanation, I put 2

and
2 together after looking through the logs).

But the point about things corroding during inactivity is valid. So

before
I closed the deal, and after the prepurchase came up clean, I verified

that
at least the "anti-corrosion" service bulletin had been complied with.

This
one required pulling the fuel tanks, inspecting the main spar, and

applying
an anti-corrosive. The point being that in some cases, you can do a

little
homework and be reasonably sure that things are clean.

To MRQB: hang in there, don't let some bozo spoil the fun of looking for
your ride.

blue skies,
mark

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:48:48 -0800, MRQB wrote:

Yes he is a real A & P, IA and is the only one I trust out of a

handful
that
I have meet and interviewed around here.

If he told you that because the plane did not fly for 2 years and that's
why it had missing logs he's daft, find another A&P. That's most
definitely not missing logs. A plane can have years where there's lot

of
work logged, others when it's mostly oil changes and an annual, and if
they don't fly it and don't get an annual then nothing gets logged, but
the amount of entries does not determine if it's missing. Now if you

saw
that the pages were gone, the tach numbers don't add up, that's more
likely to be missing logs.

Now, it's still debatable as to whether the plane should have been
purchased without it's flying in 2 years, often you'll find problems
cropping up due to the inactivity and hidden corrosion. You were

probably
better off passing on it anyhow.

Old March 4th 04, 08:33 PM
Jay Honeck

Two hours/month; seems hardly worth the bother.

That's for sure.

Of course, that's an AVERAGE number. In that total you've got folks like
Mary and me, who fly every few days -- AND the folks who own the Hangar
Queens that never, ever move.

Which brings up two more questions he

1. WHY own a plane, and never fly it?
2. Do you feel comfortable sharing the sky with someone who flies just 2
hours per month?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 04, 08:58 PM
Jim

I know of one elderly gentleman who has an old Piper Colt for sale. He has
kept records of every dime he has spent on his plane, has receipts and full
documentation. He has the idea that he should recover all "investments"
other than fuel, including every nut, bolt, and hairpin that he's had to
replace on his airplane, and has priced it accordingly.

I wish him luck.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old March 4th 04, 09:22 PM
Ray Andraka

If he's had it long enough, it may well be a deal at that price. My Six has
doubled in value since I bought it 9 years ago. That number is not far off
from my "investment". As investments go, the airplane has performed quite a
bit better than my market holdings, and I've been able to use it too!

Jim wrote:

I know of one elderly gentleman who has an old Piper Colt for sale. He has
kept records of every dime he has spent on his plane, has receipts and full
documentation. He has the idea that he should recover all "investments"
other than fuel, including every nut, bolt, and hairpin that he's had to
replace on his airplane, and has priced it accordingly.

I wish him luck.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 4th 04, 09:23 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
2. Do you feel comfortable sharing the sky with someone
who flies just 2 hours per month?

It takes some of the fun out of flying on a perfect, windless, sunny
Saturday that's neither too hot nor too cold. That's when the real
goobers come out. It can be fun listening to ATC dealing with them,
though.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 4th 04, 09:28 PM
Jay Honeck

That's when the real
goobers come out. It can be fun listening to ATC dealing with them,
though.

In another four weeks or so, I'll start to see hangar doors open around here
that haven't budged since last Halloween.

That is my time to worry.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 04, 09:36 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"john smith" wrote in message
Tom Sixkiller wrote:
It used to be that they'd nickel and dime you; now they $10, $20, $50

you to
death.

Obviously, you have never dealt with IBM Global Services.

Not on a personal level, no.

With them it is $10k-, $20k- and $50K-ing you to death.

Quite like Microsoft for corporate services; they give you a nice sales
pitch, then tack on "options". At my company we tried SUN, and they did much
the same. We tried HP, and they did it somewhat less so we went with them.

My point, though, was how often companies have billing "errors" (always in
THEIR favor). Evidently _fraud_ is now a way of life for many companies.

Old March 4th 04, 09:37 PM
Roger Tracy

The PreBuy A&P is working for the buyer to determine if the plane is worth
the price to him. He's not working for the seller and has no authority to
make
any notations at all in the log. Now if he feels he has a strong enough case
that
the plane is unairworthy he could sure call the FAA. Let the A&P look over
the
logs, then take them back into your possession. I think it would be pretty
foolish
to let your airplane go to another airport to an A&P not known to you along
with it's logs.

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
In article SJx1c.37294$PR3.745133@attbi_s03, "Robert Bates"
writes:

You who have sold a
plane, (this one is my first) what are your comments. Can you have a

pre-buy
by an A&P and not give him the option to ground the plane?

Chuck

Old March 4th 04, 09:39 PM
Ray Andraka

I often don't fly on those days, exactly because the goobers are out in
spades. Besides, with the inst rating, I prefer to fly on the scuzzy
days and save the gorgeous days for doing things outside.

Old March 4th 04, 09:41 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote in message
These sound like people you don't want to be buying aircraft from, for
many reasons. I think you treated the guy you talked to last night with
exactly what he deserved and was asking for.

The whole aviation industry isn't quite like this, but, well, I consider
it similar to buying a used car. Only with airplanes, the financial
stakes are much higher, so the low-lifes are that much lower. The state
of the economy in the past few years is a big contributor---people are
short on money, and for many of them their planes end up being short on
attention as a result.

Hmm...I remember hearing this excuse from wayyyyyy back. When ever money is
tight, maintenance is the first thing to go. I remember it way back as to
why our interstate highway system, newly built in the 50's, was
deteriorating in the 1960s'. The greatly increased fuel taxes to "maintain
the roads". By the 1970's and 80's, they had to come up with other excuses
when the tax revenues wound up in the various general funds.

The more things change...